Photo

General NBA Talk 2015-16 Season (Cleveland wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
2798 replies to this topic

#21 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:52 PM

Clippers winning the west is a pretty ballsy prediction.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:24 PM

Q) 13

Kobe plays how many games before another injury and he hangs it up? Great extension Lakers.

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:13 PM

Q) 13

Kobe plays how many games before another injury and he hangs it up? Great extension Lakers.

Are you a Laker fan?

It's a lost season anyways. The young guys will have a chance to play meaningful minutes. I'm more interested to see what happens with Kobe this offseason

@bopper33

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

CBS Sports: Hayward, Bledsoe, Wiggins shape present and future race for No. 8

http://www.cbssports...f-west-playoffs

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

Sports Illustrated: Power Rankings: Champion Warriors, fortified Spurs lead preseason edition

http://www.si.com/nb...spurs-cavaliers

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:43 AM

Grantland: NBA Stock Watch 10/23

http://grantland.com...stan-van-gundy/

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

NBC Sports / PBT: Who wins the West, & Finals Predictions

http://nba.nbcsports...ls-predictions/

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

ATLANTIC

Toronto

Boston

New York

Brooklyn

Philadelphia

Thoughts on the Atlantic:  My God, this is a horrendous division at the bottom.  I like Toronto adding DeMarre Carroll and think they will easily win this division.  Boston isn't quite there yet.

CENTRAL

Cleveland

Milwaukee

Chicago

Indiana

Detroit

Thoughts on the Central:  I think the Bulls take a step back this year.  Rose is hurt, Noah is no longer an asset on offense and can't play with Gasol.  Butler is a star, but don't trust everyone else.  Even with Irving hurt, Cleveland will take this.

SOUTHEAST

Miami

Washington

Atlanta

Charlotte

Orlando

Thoughts on the Southeast:  Another year, another lack of a division title for the Bullets.  I know that divisions don't really matter but at this point it's just completely embarrassing for this franchise to not have won a division title since 1979.  If the Wiz get Durant, this will change next year, but, for now, Miami is the best team in this division.

SOUTHWEST

Houston

San Antonio

Memphis

New Orleans

Dallas

Thoughts on the Southwest:  Easily the best division in the NBA.  I think Houston will win the division because of San Antonio's tendency to rest guys (although I disagree with this approach to the extent they do it).  Dallas could win the Atlantic or Southeast and will likely be fighting to stay out of the cellar.  Don't forget, the Mavs will owe Boston their first round pick in the nightmare Rondo deal if it's outside the top 7, so look for them to be an early tank candidate if things don't go well, despite what Cuban says.

NORTHWEST

Oklahoma City

Utah

Minnesota

Portland

Denver

Thoughts on the Northwest:  Easiest division to pick the winner and, man, if Utah is bad this year, the Thunder may roll to the best record in the league.  However, I think the Jazz are good enough to get the 8 seed.

PACIFIC

Golden State

LA Clippers

Phoenix

Sacramento

LA Lakers

Thoughts on the Pacific:  The defending champs will be tested by the Clips but, ultimately, are just the better team overall and will win this division by at least 5 games.  The Suns, Kings and Lakers are all in various stages of rebuild and should provide ample opportunities to be a punching bag for the Warriors and Clippers.

EAST

1) Cleveland

2) Miami

3) Washington

4) Toronto

5) Chicago

6) Milwaukee

7) Atlanta

8) Boston

East Finals:  Cleveland over Miami

WEST

1) Golden State

2) Houston

3) San Antonio

4) Oklahoma City

5) LA Clippers

6) Memphis

7) New Orleans

8) Utah

West Finals:  Golden State over San Antonio

NBA FINALS:  Golden State over Cleveland in 7

MVP:  Steph Curry

ROY:  KAT

COY:  Erik Spoelstra

@bopper33

#29 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

ATLANTIC

Toronto

Boston

New York

Brooklyn

Philadelphia

Thoughts on the Atlantic:  My God, this is a horrendous division at the bottom.  I like Toronto adding DeMarre Carroll and think they will easily win this division.  Boston isn't quite there yet.

CENTRAL

Cleveland

Milwaukee

Chicago

Indiana

Detroit

Thoughts on the Central:  I think the Bulls take a step back this year.  Rose is hurt, Noah is no longer an asset on offense and can't play with Gasol.  Butler is a star, but don't trust everyone else.  Even with Irving hurt, Cleveland will take this.

SOUTHEAST

Miami

Washington

Atlanta

Charlotte

Orlando

Thoughts on the Southeast:  Another year, another lack of a division title for the Bullets.  I know that divisions don't really matter but at this point it's just completely embarrassing for this franchise to not have won a division title since 1979.  If the Wiz get Durant, this will change next year, but, for now, Miami is the best team in this division.

SOUTHWEST

Houston

San Antonio

Memphis

New Orleans

Dallas

Thoughts on the Southwest:  Easily the best division in the NBA.  I think Houston will win the division because of San Antonio's tendency to rest guys (although I disagree with this approach to the extent they do it).  Dallas could win the Atlantic or Southeast and will likely be fighting to stay out of the cellar.  Don't forget, the Mavs will owe Boston their first round pick in the nightmare Rondo deal if it's outside the top 7, so look for them to be an early tank candidate if things don't go well, despite what Cuban says.

NORTHWEST

Oklahoma City

Utah

Minnesota

Portland

Denver

Thoughts on the Northwest:  Easiest division to pick the winner and, man, if Utah is bad this year, the Thunder may roll to the best record in the league.  However, I think the Jazz are good enough to get the 8 seed.

PACIFIC

Golden State

LA Clippers

Phoenix

Sacramento

LA Lakers

Thoughts on the Pacific:  The defending champs will be tested by the Clips but, ultimately, are just the better team overall and will win this division by at least 5 games.  The Suns, Kings and Lakers are all in various stages of rebuild and should provide ample opportunities to be a punching bag for the Warriors and Clippers.

EAST

1) Cleveland

2) Miami

3) Washington

4) Toronto

5) Chicago

6) Milwaukee

7) Atlanta

8) Boston

East Finals:  Cleveland over Miami

WEST

1) Golden State

2) Houston

3) San Antonio

4) Oklahoma City

5) LA Clippers

6) Memphis

7) New Orleans

8) Utah

West Finals:  Golden State over San Antonio

NBA FINALS:  Golden State over Cleveland in 7

MVP:  Steph Curry

ROY:  KAT

COY:  Erik Spoelstra

Major props to you Pedro for realizing how good of a coach Spoelstra is. 

@PeterDiLutis

#30 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

Clippers winning the west is a pretty ballsy prediction.

I think so much of it is about motivation not just in the NBA but in all of sports. If you let your focus drop for just a small period, it can have a big impact. With Kerr missing the start of the season and GS not really mixing it up a little bit, combined with the fact that they are the defending champs and will be hunted each night, I think they are poised to slip a bit. Meanwhile, the Clips added lots of players to freshen things up, have Paul Pierce to take the big shots that Paul couldn't get off, and they just have the fresh energy. OKC will have that too by the way. 

@PeterDiLutis

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

I think so much of it is about motivation not just in the NBA but in all of sports. If you let your focus drop for just a small period, it can have a big impact. With Kerr missing the start of the season and GS not really mixing it up a little bit, combined with the fact that they are the defending champs and will be hunted each night, I think they are poised to slip a bit. Meanwhile, the Clips added lots of players to freshen things up, have Paul Pierce to take the big shots that Paul couldn't get off, and they just have the fresh energy. OKC will have that too by the way. 

True.  I just think the GS roster top to bottom is better.  And I don't see them having a hangover.  This team won 67 games last year and remains largely unchanged.  I have no reason to believe they won't repeat.

@bopper33

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:56 PM

Grantland: Our Annual Tiers of the NBA

http://grantland.com...ers-of-the-nba/

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Sports on Earth: 23 Bold Predictions for the NBA Season

http://www.sportsone...old-predictions

#34 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

True.  I just think the GS roster top to bottom is better.  And I don't see them having a hangover.  This team won 67 games last year and remains largely unchanged.  I have no reason to believe they won't repeat.

2nd year is never as easy. Ever ever ever. In any sport. They'll lose more road games because teams will get up to play the defending champs, opposing crowds will come out. They'll be the hunted every single night. A back to back in Milwaukee that they won by 12 last year turns into a marquee game for the Bucks that they wear their alternate uniforms for and are entirely focused. 

We'll see. I agree with you they're a really good team, not disputing that, but I think the Thunder are pretty equal in talent and I expect Billy Donovan to be a great coach X's and O's wise - and I think the Clips, Spurs, and Rockets are not far behind in talent (although I don't believe in Houston). 

@PeterDiLutis

#35 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

I didn't read the whole thread, so if I'm repeating something, I apologize..

But if there was one bet I could make this year, I'd bet Utah Jazz OVER 42.5 wins. 

Happy NBA Season! 

@beginthebegin71

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,366 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

Q1)  If Tristan Thompson's holdout lasts significantly into the regular season, could that be prove to be a difference in the race for home-court advantage in the Eastern Conference? How do you see that situation eventually ending?

Q2) Did you like the Fred Hoiberg hire for Chicago? Derrick Rose's orbital fracture, and Joakim Noah apparently questioning Rose's work ethic grabbed headlines. The biggest issue I see though is Mike Dunleavy's back. Do you think Doug McDermott is ready to emerge as a productive starter? Noah should be healthier this year. Gasol and Mirotic at the 4 is strong. Jimmy Butler has emerged as a star. Is it fair to say that LeBron and the Cavs would be favored in a 7 game series, but that the Bulls have better overall talent?

Q3) Atlanta had a great 2014-15 regular season, winning 60 games, and the Southeast Division. Their season ended when they were swept in the Conference Finals by Cleveland. The Hawks have 4 All-Stars, but it can be argued that only Al Horford is a borderline elite talent. Thabo Sefolosha was missed in the post-season, but it's hard to believe he would have reversed Atlanta's fortunes vs. the Cavs. Do you see Atlanta having another good regular season, and again having little chance of getting past a healthy LeBron, or do you see the Hawks as having a legitimate chance to represent the East in the NBA Finals?

Q4) With Bosh, and Deng healthy - Miami has a nice starting 5 with those two joining Dragic, Wade, and Whiteside. Do you like the bench with Winslow, etc? Any reason to think Wade plays 70+ games for the first time since the 2010-11 season?

Q5) The de facto local team is the Washington Wizards. Where do you rank John Wall, and Bradley Beal among backcourts league wide? It looks like Kris Humphries has supplanted Nene Hilario at the 4.  Gortat remains at the 5. There is some decent usable depth. It seems to me that Washington's upside is depending on Beal taking another step, and Porter Jr showing in Year 3 he was worthy of being the 3rd overall pick in '13. Agree, disagree here?

Q6) The best talent remains in the West, and defending Champion Golden State starts the year as the favorite. What is your biggest question with the Warriors?

Q7) San Antonio adds LaMarcus Aldridge to their starting lineup. With him, and Kawhi Leonard available to lead the roster, it will be that much easier for Coach Popovich to find plenty of rest for Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. Thoughts on the Spurs?

Q8) If you knew that Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook would stay healthy and available to the Thunder all year, would you expect Oklahoma City to be in contention for home court advantage in the West? Beyond Durant's health, what's the biggest question with OKC?

Q9) The Clippers will again be entertaining, and Memphis will again not be a push over vs. anyone. Still, I find it hard to believe either is capable of winning three different series in the Western Conference playoffs to reach the Finals. Am I selling either squad short?

Q10) You can only watch one of Milwaukee, Utah, Minnesota, or New Orleans all year - who do you pick?

Q11)  Rookie you are most excited to watch? Who will have the most immediate impact?

Q12) 2015-16 All-NBA Teams, who do I have wrong? Does Anthony Davis end this year as the league's best player?

1st Team: James, Davis, M. Gasol, Harden, Curry
2nd Team: Leonard, Durant, Cousins, Westbrook, Paul
3rd Team: George, Griffin, Jordan, Thompson, Irving

Q13) What story-line interests you the most as the season is beginning?

1) N/A Absurd contract, but his agent being LeBron's boy was key here.

2) Not that sure about Hoiberg, but I think it was time for a change since it was likely too much of a grind day in day out for the last several years and their D slipped out of the top 10 last year anyway. If they aren't going to be a top 10 D, what's the point of having Thibs? As for the last part of that question, no, the Bulls don't have more overall talent.

3) Yes, I see them having another good regular season, but I don't see them having much of a shot of getting out of the East unless something happens to the Cavs. I do think the Hawks would have been much better last postseason if they were healthy.

4) Miami has some nice parts for sure, but I'm not sure how well they'll fit together. 

5) Probably the second best backcourt even though there's definitely some good competition for that. I agree with what you're saying about Porter especially. Humphries becoming a legit stretch 4 is also key as is their adoption of pace and space.

6) The Kerr situation is worth watching, but overall, I'm curious if more teams are going to make playing Bogut tough, like we saw in the Finals.

7) Worried about Parker. Also concerned a bit about how LA fits in. Lots of talent, though, and obviously a great coach and track record.

8) Yes. Their biggest issues are fitting Kanter and his terrible D in, and what to do at the 2. Can Roberson shoot better? Can Morrow do enough well besides shoot? Can Waiters be a decent role player? Not sure about any of those, but I'm most confident in Morrow.

9) You're selling the Clips short. Their bench killed them last year and that has seemingly been more than solved. 

10) NO. Davis has the ability to be an all-time great. All interesting teams though. League Pass!

11) Towns and Hezonja. Towns and Okafor.

12) Not going to make exact predictions, but what should happen is having Davis just be a big and put Durant on the team over Gasol. 

13) The evolution of small ball vs teams that try to go the other direction.

• BSLChrisStoner and Pedro Cerrano like this

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,366 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

East:

1. Cleveland

2. Atlanta

3. Chicago

4. DC

5. Toronto

6. Miami

7. Boston

8. Milwaukee

Indiana

Orlando

CLE over DC

CHI over ATL

CLE over CHI

West:

1. Golden State

2. LAC

3. OKC

4. Houston

5. San Antonio

6. Memphis

7. New Orleans

8. Utah

Phoenix

Sacramento

I'll come back to the West. Need to ponder this one more.

Edit:

GS over SAS

LAC over OKC

GS over LAC

GS over CLE

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

Chicago held on to beat the Cavs 97-95, as Pau blocked LeBron going to the basket with just seconds left.

After a way-too-long ceremony, Golden State and New Orleans have finally tipped off. The game also marks the second return of Craig Sager to the sideline.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,366 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:18 PM

Curry is sick!

#40 mweb08

mweb08