#282 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

Dribblers Row strikes again...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#283 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

Sure - but if he's wrong now, he's fine. If he brings Familia in and he's wrong, he's probably fired.

Believe in your gut and have the conviction to stand by it. Know when your guy is done even when he doesn't know it. Even if the fans don't know it. You also needed Familia to start the inning clean. You know he's had issues coming in with men on. All the angles pointed to pulling him.

#284 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

True, but a good throw gets him. 

Oh, absolutely. I'm just saying that if Flores takes the grounder (and he was in position) Hosmer probably doesn't break for home and they still get the out at first.

Hell of a job by Hosmer to recognize it.

@DJ_McCann

#285 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:11 PM

Oh, absolutely. I'm just saying that if Flores takes the grounder (and he was in position) Hosmer probably doesn't break for home and they still get the out at first.

Agree with every word. 

@beginthebegin71

#286 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:12 PM

True, but a good throw gets him.

Not necessarily. It's bang bang. Throw would have needed to be on the money. With the catcher reaching high there Hosmer still beats it even if the catcher catches it

#287 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:14 PM

Not necessarily. It's bang bang. Throw would have needed to be on the money. With the catcher reaching high there Hosmer still beats it even if the catcher catches it

True. I'm assuming a good throw would've got him. 

@beginthebegin71

#288 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:16 PM

Makes it less likely but with Wright ranging that far Hosmer still didn't need to get back. I think he goes either way. Flores would have eyed him up better but would have had less on the throw. Wright's momentum was taking him that way.

#289 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:17 PM

Bad news for Familia: he's blown three saves this postseason.

Less-bad news:

ESPN Stats & Info

Jeurys Familia: 1st pitcher with 3 blown saves in one postseason since Mariano Rivera in 2004

@DJ_McCann

#290 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

Makes it less likely but with Wright ranging that far Hosmer still didn't need to get back. I think he goes either way. Flores would have eyed him up better but would have had less on the throw. Wright's momentum was taking him that way.

But if Wright knows Flores is there (which he may not have, of course), he can move back to the base.

@DJ_McCann

#291 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

Basically, Flores would have needed to have the balls to pull a fake throw hoping Hosmer committed. Which he did. Then they would have had him. However, the runner going to first probably gets in scoring position anyway if Hosmer gets in a run down. Just great baserunning. KC is the deserving champs. Definitely the best team in baseball. One of the best I've seen in awhile at doing so many fundamental things well.

#292 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:20 PM

Basically, Flores would have needed to have the balls to pull a fake throw hoping Hosmer committed. Which he did. Then they would have had him. However, the runner going to first probably gets in scoring position anyway if Hosmer gets in a run down. Just great baserunning. KC is the deserving champs. Definitely the best team in baseball. One of the best I've seen in awhile at doing so many fundamental things well.

I'll take a guy on second with two outs and the lead over no on with two outs and the game tied.

@DJ_McCann

#293 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:21 PM

But if Wright knows Flores is there (which he may not have, of course), he can move back to the base.

Wright has to cut that off. It's instinct and honestly it's the fundamentally correct play. Just so happens there was an aggressive runner on 3b that decided to go for it.

#294 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:22 PM

Wright has to cut that off. It's instinct and honestly it's the fundamentally correct play. Just so happens there was an aggressive runner on 3b that decided to go for it.

Damn Mets, actually having a good 3B for once in franchise history :P

@DJ_McCann

#295 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:22 PM

I'll take a guy on second with two outs and the lead over no on with two outs and the game tied.

Of course but if he fakes and Hosmer didn't bite, which he would have, it's 1st and 3rd with 1 out.

#296 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

Of course but if he fakes and Hosmer didn't bite, which he would have, it's 1st and 3rd with 1 out.

I'd argue that's preferable in that situation. Don't let the run score, and at least a DP is in play.

@DJ_McCann

#297 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:24 PM

Re: his knee, I don't think fracture vs. bruise is the issue... but what do I know?  We'll see...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#298 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:24 PM

Conforto, Flores, PH.

@DJ_McCann

#299 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:29 PM

When we got beat by the Mets in '69, it was like this, except without the Orioles screwing up.... a dribbler here, a hiI-em-where-they-ain't there... it was more like what KC did to us last year... I want KC to win, but I'm having flashbacks anyway... you know the Mets fans are thinking, "How in God's name is this happening?"

#300 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

CSx5sELWoAEv1LX.png

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic