Photo

BSL: Who Should Be Maryland’s Next Head Coach?

• Please log in to reply
500 replies to this topic

#461 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

I just think the uber obsessive fans like us get antsy where a lot of fans don't even think much of it until they see the news that MD hired a coach. I honestly think that's more message board created than reality based. Wow that was RSack'esque... scary.

And you only needed 3 sentences to say it.

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and DJ MC like this

#462 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:48 PM

Btw... Michigan's AD says he's confident Durkin will hold out for a more prestigious opportunity than MD. What an ass.

Really?  lol...   I've been reading the comments of fans from other Big Ten East schools the last few days.  Fuck them...  MD does things right, they can build a competitive program.

10 years ago, it wasn't like TCU, Baylor were powers.
15-20 years ago, same for Oregon.

Iowa was a middling Big Ten team last year.

The prestige of Ohio State, and Michigan, and to a lesser extent Penn State will always be there... but Michigan State has found a way to compete.

Won't be easy, but I definitely believe MD can consistently be a Top 25 team, which every few years can dream of competing for a division title.

Watching MD build from 'nothing' and competing with those blue bloods will be fun. It's great when you are told you can't do something.

• You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#463 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:52 PM

I just think the uber obsessive fans like us get antsy where a lot of fans don't even think much of it until they see the news that MD hired a coach. I honestly think that's more message board created than reality based. Wow that was RSack'esque... scary.

We are the obsessive fans... but those obsessive fans help move the needle with Joe Average fan (on the field results obviously mattering more).

Said it earlier...  so apologies for being repetitive... but this job is different than many college jobs. In-between 2 major cities... all of DC's pro teams... the O's and Ravens here in Baltimore.  Terps Basketball. 

You need as many people as possible buying into vision and marketing the program for you.

I get what you are saying though, and there is some truth there.  With as many quality options as exist, I'm still of the opinion that MD is going to make a strong hire.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#464 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:54 PM

I agree. I think they'll get a very good hire. That's why I'm not too antsy yet. Even still, I'm getting there. I hate seeing announcements made and us lagging. There's a precedence for concern so I get it but the end result still looks promising. So I'll wait to flip my shit for once. ;)

#465 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Honestly, to some extent there is already a problem. Not that Richt, Reich, Durkin,etc etc couldn't or wouldn't be good hires. What was outlined as a desire for this program was a young, offensive minded coach. You look at the names out there we are most associated with and none of them really fit the bill completely. 

#466 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

I agree. I think they'll get a very good hire. That's why I'm not too antsy yet. Even still, I'm getting there. I hate seeing announcements made and us lagging. There's a precedence for concern so I get it but the end result still looks promising. So I'll wait to flip my shit for once. ;)

Admittedly, I'm also concerned about retaining Locksley in some capacity (before some other Big Ten team grabs him)... and once a coach is in place they can work on that (if the new coach signs off)... it's a lesser concern vs. getting the right hire, but I don't want the hire to linger and see Lox jump.

#467 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:00 PM

Honestly, to some extent there is already a problem. Not that Richt, Reich, Durkin,etc etc couldn't or wouldn't be good hires. What was outlined as a desire for this program was a young, offensive minded coach. You look at the names out there we are most associated with and none of them really fit the bill completely. 

Frost fits that bill, and I'd be happy with him... but I think MD decided at some point they had to have a bigger name. So now if MD goes to him, will others feel MD is settling?  Guess it only matters so much if it's decided he's the right guy.

#468 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

Screw Locksley. The new coach deserves a chance to have his own staff. I get it, especially with so many hopes hanging on Hasking in particular. However,  its not like Locksley is bringing in Top 20 classes here. Locksley should have zilch to do with who we hire. That pressure to keep him  should not be there, and if that in any way is playing into the candidates decision to come here then shame on the people in charge at MD. 

#469 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:02 PM

I think losing Locksley will hurt. All the more imperative to get a coach that can recruit on his own, and if that's Durkin, bring in an offensive guru and empower him.

Locksley's recruits haven't helped us much. We'd be fine. But it'd be great to give Locksley the added bonus of recruiting for a known commodity at coach that everyone's excited for... and have better coaching to begin with for his recruits that are already here.

Keeping him is definitely ideal. But I think we'd recover well enough without him. It'd just be nice for the new coach to have a head start with recruiting.

#470 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

Screw Locksley. The new coach deserves a chance to have his own staff. I get it, especially with so many hopes hanging on Hasking in particular. However, its not like Locksley is bringing in Top 20 classes here. Locksley should have zilch to do with who we hire. That pressure to keep him should not be there, and if that in any way is playing into the candidates decision to come here then shame on the people in charge at MD.

I absolutely agree that Locksley shouldn't be a requirement by KA to the incoming Coach. But so long as Locksley is willing to give up OC duties, most coaches would take what he can offer. It immediately helps them start hot on the recruiting trail.

#471 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

Screw Locksley. The new coach deserves a chance to have his own staff. I get it, especially with so many hopes hanging on Hasking in particular. However,  its not like Locksley is bringing in Top 20 classes here. Locksley should have zilch to do with who we hire. That pressure to keep him on should not be there and if that in any way is playing into on of our candidates decision to come here then shame on the people in charge at MD. 

Sorry for this... it's not just you... but I'm a little frustrated to have say this again...

IM NOT SAYING LOX IS A PRIORITY OVER THE NEW HC....CLEARLY HE IS NOT.

If the new HC doesn't want to retain him, I'll think that is dumb... but that's the decision of that HC.

I think it should be easy to find a position on the staff for Lox where he can continue to recruit.... he does have local relationships, those relationships do matter.... any coach will be better off with these guys being part of his 2016 recruiting class... 

And just because (if) Lox is part of the 2016 coaching staff, that doesn't mean you have to retain him for ever.  If you don't want him forever, make a change at some point... but make that change after the new staff establishes their own local relationships.

• You Play to Win the Game and DJ MC like this

#472 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

Totally agree.

Let's say they are trying to get Richt, but end up with Durkin, well I really don't think the few days delay would make a difference in terms of tickets sold, or recruiting, or anything else important.

This is an obsessive fan thing and furthermore, just a sign of the times in which we don't have much patience due to message boards, social media, non stop coverage and analysis, etc.

#473 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Maybe Plank called today and said he can't afford Mullen anymore :P

@DJ_McCann

#474 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

Maybe Plank called today and said he can't afford Mullen anymore :P

Maybe not signing Mullen is why they lost some faith in his company... If he can't even get a football coach to move out of Starkville, how can he run a company?  (Stocks have been downgraded for less...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#475 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

I have faith in you, grasshopper  ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#476 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

Awful lot of people seem to have info...   MD would be served to close down the leaks.

Awful lot of people CLAIM to have info.  Most of what is reported is just chatter.  One of the many reasons I dislike Twitter.

Seriously I've stopped reading Testudo Times for a bit.  Just amazes me how folks take everything they read on the internet as the Gospel.  I should be used to it by now but I guess I'm not.

• DJ MC likes this

#477 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

Yeah but Locksley was the OC and then the HC. Is he really going to stay at MD if they want to downgrade him all the way to recruting coordinator and QB coach. I don't know what the insiders are saying Chris, but that's a hit to the pride to stay at the same school and go from HC all the way down to whatever position he would be given. The money would essentially be the same from any other school. Does he love MD and the University enough to want to stay taking a demotion.

#478 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Yeah but Locksley was the OC and then the HC. Is he really going to stay at MD if they want to downgrade him all the way to recruting coordinator and QB coach. I don't know what the insiders are saying Chris, but that's a hit to the pride to stay at the same school and go from HC all the way down to whatever position he would be given. The money would essentially be the same from any other school. Does he love MD and the University enough to want to stay taking a demotion.

Morning started with Mike Randall posting Cavanaugh's thoughts...  he thinks no. 

Others have told me yes... he wants to be at MD... be part of the program...

Just pay him well, don't ostracize him..... build up his position... recruiting is huge... shouldn't feel like a demotion. It's what he does best. Let that be the focus and reward him for it.

#479 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

Anything below OC would have to feel like a big demotion.

#480 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:14 PM

Anything below OC would have to feel like a big demotion.

He's doesn't figure to be an OC anywhere else (at the Power 5 level), so what's the difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=