Photo

BSL: Who Should Be Maryland’s Next Head Coach?

• Please log in to reply
500 replies to this topic

#441 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

He should have enough business sense to understand the process of identifying, then interviewing candidates though. I'm wholly confident he's exponentially more competent than KA.

I mean I feel like you or I could do that. I just question if Plank is really the guy with the 25 candidates outlined on a chalkboard in KA's office. Yeah, I agree he's obviously more competent and a much more successful businessman. And if KA went to Plank and said, Mullen is my target, can you help put together a recruiting pitch, I think that would be an ideal fit for Plank.

Again, I'm just playing devils advocate a bit here, just saying I don't think all of our problems are gone if KA is locked in a room and Plank is in charge. 

@PeterDiLutis

#442 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

Yeah that's a fair point. It's always good to remember how little we all know. Plank being involved is logical and obvious, but none of us have any idea as to the extent of his involvement.

#443 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

If USC can pull the trigger on Helton... I would like to think that MD could come to quick resolution with their next HC after having 6+ weeks to prepare.

#444 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

So Kevin Anderson has gone from Mike Leach (done deal), Sean Miller (done deal), and Dan Mullen (done deal) to Randy Edsall (after they were going to go from good to great), Mark Turgeon (has worked out well but I think that's more dumb luck) and potentially DJ Durkin (after talking about wanting an explosive offense).

I know you were quite confident about this the other day but what proof do you have that Dan Mullen was a done deal? As far as I know you were the only one to "report" that. (Yes, others reported there was interest, but AFAIK no one reported it as a done deal.

#445 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:31 PM

Considering there's a direct link between Plank and Durkin maybe Plank is the driving force behind the interest in Durkin.

#446 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:54 PM

I know you were quite confident about this the other day but what proof do you have that Dan Mullen was a done deal? As far as I know you were the only one to "report" that. (Yes, others reported there was interest, but AFAIK no one reported it as a done deal.

I just heard from people very close that it was Mullen and that they'd announce on Sunday. Lots of people with connections heard the same thing. I'm not big on the "look at me I'm an insider" thing so I'm not trying to be all cryptic although I can't say where I heard it, only that I trusted it with good reason. Within the inner loop at MD there was talk about Mullen's staff, etc so he was clearly their #1 target and they thought he was coming. They haven't made a hire so it may still be him, but if it was him it likely would have been done by now. Losing out on Leach is one thing...losing out on Miller is another...but there clearly is some sort of issue with the hiring process at MD. 

Not shitting on Durkin...he's 100000X better than Edsall...I just don't think you can come out at your presser and act the way he did and then you hire Durkin. Same exact mistake he made with Leach/Edsall although Edsall would have been a disaster regardless of what the hype was. 

@PeterDiLutis

#447 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:51 PM

The amount of stories and rumors out there is wild.  I'm looking for resolution.

#448 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:58 PM

It's ridiculous they can't get this right after the debacle last time.

#449 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

It's ridiculous they can't get this right after the debacle last time.

Kevin Anderson

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#450 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

#451 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,552 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

What have they been doing the past month?

#452 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:07 PM

Let Plank make the call. Who is Planks guy? Durkin? I don't know I'm really asking. If that's who it is then go get him. I understand Richt is in play now and why but stop fooling around.

#453 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,552 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:22 PM

Well, I don't have VIP Access to InsideMDSports, but from the headlines it looks like they are in fact talking to Richt. That makes the delay more understandable since his availability only became a certainty yesterday, and he'd be a great hire. Still, this needs to be wrapped up by the end of the week.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#454 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

So long as they get it right there's no reason to be upset. No brownie points for wrapping it up 11/29 versus 12/6... just get a competent guy who can get the job done and that's all that matters.

#455 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

Well, I don't have VIP Access to InsideMDSports, but from the headlines it looks like they are in fact talking to Richt. That makes the delay more understandable since his availability only became a certainty yesterday, and he'd be a great hire. Still, this needs to be wrapped up by the end of the week.

It would be a home run...   but if you get to the end of the week without Richt or Mullen, it's going to feel like MD is settling with whoever else they would hire.

To be clear, I'm not saying they would in-fact be settling... just saying many are going to feel that they are.

Awful lot of people seem to have info...   MD would be served to close down the leaks.

#456 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:35 PM

So long as they get it right there's no reason to be upset. No brownie points for wrapping it up 11/29 versus 12/6... just get a competent guy who can get the job done and that's all that matters.

It matters more than anything else to get it right, but I don't completely agree with this.

If that extra time allows you to get Richt or Mullen... great.

If you wind-up spending extra time and making an announcement of Durkin, Frost, Fleck, etc... I think people will be slightly less supportive off the bat, vs. if MD had just announced one of them today.

Won't matter down the road if whoever the coach is, has things going right...  just thinking about the need for MD to have everyone on the same page from the beginning... have some worries that if people are somewhat apathetic to the hire from the beginning, that will hurt the coaches chances...

Hoping we have someone where everyone is excited about the prospects.... Richt certainly would fill that criteria.

#457 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

I agree that people would generally be less enthused because of how this plays out... but if it's a competent hire, the wins will win the day. I'm not really that concerned about fan enthusiasm about a hire. I'm concerned with how said hire gets through to the best local recruits and convinces them to come be a Terp. Overall enthusiasm does matter some. But just not to me.
  • mweb08 likes this

#458 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Btw... Michigan's AD says he's confident Durkin will hold out for a more prestigious opportunity than MD. What an ass.
  • 1970 likes this

#459 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

I agree that people would generally be less enthused because of how this plays out... but if it's a competent hire the wins will win the day. I'm not really that concerned about fan enthusiasm about a hire. I'm concerned with how said hire gets through to the best local recruits and convinces them to come be a Terp. Overall enthusiasm does matter some. But just not to me.

Fan enthusiasm for the hire is pretty big for me, because I think there is a pretty direct correlation between that and wins.

People are excited, more ticket sales... talking about the program more...  better atmosphere at games... easier to recruit, etc etc.

Whatever though, like you said... a couple of days here at the beginning isn't the end all be all...   good options, even great options still out there... just get one locked up this week, and let's go.

#460 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

I just think the uber obsessive fans like us get antsy where a lot of fans don't even think much of it until they see the news that MD hired a coach. I honestly think that's more message board created than reality based. Wow that was RSack'esque... scary.
  • mweb08 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=