#61 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

How the F did we miss point blank?!?!?!?

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

Clint... to Jones... 2-0!

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

Missed the 3rd goal... Bobby Wood apparently got on the board...

#64 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Ok my first half analysis:

1. Go look at my post right before the game! The first goal was all on Yedlin getting behind the defense and putting in a very dangerous cross. Wood is shoved with both hands. Easy PK call for the ref and Deuce converts.

2. The US counter attacks have been incredibly fast and dangerous. In fact both Jones and Zardes failed to put shots on frame or we could have more. But for Jones all is forgiven. My MOTM so far. What a half. Total end to end solid play.

3. Bradley was much much better and had several key balls wide to start counters.

4. Although the defense made some errors wide the CBs and Bradley stayed compact and provided the support needed to keep the slate clean.

5. Really pressed in the midfield which led to a lot of CR turnovers and our counters. Maybe the best counter attacks I have seen the US display in a long time. No need to wait to build. Just too much speed and control for CR to handle.

• BSLChrisStoner and fishteacher like this

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Missed the 3rd goal... Bobby Wood apparently got on the board...

Saw the replay... nice.

#66 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

If you are watching the halftime show they just mirrored my comments on Jones. Just an outstanding half. It is amazing how much better we play when we are in a must win situation. Its one of the historical trademarks of US soccer. When the chips are down we rise to the occasion. And boy did they in the first half.

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:06 PM

If you are watching the halftime show they just mirrored my comments on Jones. Just an outstanding half. It is amazing how much better we play when we are in a must win situation. Its one of the historical trademarks of US soccer. When the chips are down we rise to the occasion. And boy did they in the first half.

So, beat Paraguay and advance...  would likely face Brazil right?

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Bring in Ngabe, and Pulisic for some extended time tonight?

• fishteacher likes this

#69 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

So, beat Paraguay and advance...  would likely face Brazil right?

Yay!

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:57 PM

Former Terp Graham Zusi with the US's 4th goal...

#71 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

Second half thoughts:

1. More of the same! And that is a very good thing. We continued to press on counter but with a little more focus on not allowing CR to recounter.

2. Germaine Jones was the MOTM. Not even a discussion. Just a tremendous night.

3. I thought Klinsman was a bit late in taking off Bedoya. Not because he was limping but because he got in a pissing match at the 60th minute. He was playing very well but was on a yellow. No sense leaving him in and getting  second yellow and then miss the Paraguay match.

4. Zardes showed why he is in the lineup. He still has a very inconsistent first touch but great instincts and he must have huge lungs. Work rate is extremely high.

5. Michael Bradley controlled the midfield and kept the defensive alignment very compact and in control. Most folks will say that Jones was the man and he was. But what you have to recognize is that the reason he was able to go all over the field is because Bradley was in total control at the 6.

6. Again something many casual fans and new fans will not understand. The 4-0 win is huge in our chances to advance out of group play. Goal differential is now well back in play for us. While we certainly will look to beat Paraguay and advance with 6 points a draw (without knowing of course how the Paraguay - Columbia game and the CR-Columbia game go) on Saturday now means we likely advance. Yes you play to win but in tournaments group play is ALL about advancing.

Well done guys!!! Best win over CR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#72 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:11 PM

Sick, but with it enough to see Steve is bringing it with the analysis. Much better match than we saw at the weekend, all around, save maybe some of the first minutes. The continued push and pace were great to see. Massive play from Jones, much improved play from Bradley. They could easily have had six or seven to the good, incredible. Keeping a clean sheet and getting back in the mix on GD(!) were fantastic. All the scores were pretty well done, and good on Dempsey hitting the 50-goal milestone. If Colombia win the ongoing match, the US will be in a position where any positive result against Paraguay will advance them, barring Costa Rica suddenly shellacking Colombia, which is highly doubtful.

#73 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:11 AM

So as expected Columbia handled Paraguay. So the path to advance for the US is simple.

1. Win on Saturday against Paraguay and we advance. No scenario where 6 points doesn't get us through.

2. Tie Paraguay and then the only way we don't advance with 4 points is if CR beats Columbia by a minimum of 6 goals (as DQ pointed out). Folks this just isn't going to happen. It is likely that Columbia will enter the game with a much weaker lineup in order to rest some players. Remember they are already assured of advancing.

Now the interesting thing (see how important clean sheets become!) is that Columbia has to be a little careful on Saturday. Unfortunately the way the schedule is setup isn't the best for the US. Not a big deal because it likely won't matter. But in most big tournaments the last day of group play the team games in each group are played at the same time. In this case the Columbia - CR game is after the US game. Now back to my point. Because of the big clean sheet win yesterday and the Columbia win by only one goal, goal differential can come into play to determine who wins the group. If the US were to beat Paraguay (and I think they will) then Columbia can't really dog it too much against CR. If CR were to beat Columbia then they could find themselves in second instead of winning the group. In this case it may not really make a big difference because I don't see much separation between Brazil and Ecuador the likely two teams to advance out of Group B (although don't overlook Peru).

Unfortunately the way things are playing out the US will not be able to rest players. Of course the goal is to advance and you want the final game to be meaningful. But in an ideal world you like to go into the third game knowing you are already through which gives you much more lineup flexibility. I am not too concerned about it because from what I have seen so far the US appears to be in fantastic physical condition. This will be really important if we get a good result on Saturday.

• Markus likes this

#74 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:24 PM

Here's my halftime analysis of Brazil - Haiti with Brazil leading 3-0.

Dont' let the score fool you. Its not that close.

Brazil - well they are Brazil.

Haiti - well they are Haiti.

But I do have a short open letter to Haiti

Dear Haiti,

Have you never seen a freaking diagonal run into the area? Because you sure defend like you have never seen nor heard of such a tactic.

SMH,

Steve

• Don Quixote likes this

#75 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

Second half just more of the same. Not much else to say.

#76 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

Well Group B is really turning out to be pretty interesting. The two favorites to advance prior to the tournament were Brazil and Ecuador. While they still have a good shot, Peru is making things sticky.

So lets look at how things may shake out. Remember, assuming that we take care of business on Saturday, its Group B who we are bracketed with in the first knockout games. Right now Ecuador is in third place but I actually think they are in the most comfortable spot. Their remaining game is against Haiti which is clearly one of the weaker teams in the tournament. Yes they have some really good speed but their defense is not very good. So I see Ecuador with a win on Sunday giving them 5 points and a +goal differential based upon how many they beat Haiti by. This game is Sunday and is played before the Peru - Brazil game.

This means that after the Haiti - Ecuador game that Ecuador will have 5 points. Going into the Brazil - Peru game they are both sitting on 4 points. So here are the potential outcomes.

1. Brazil and Peru tie. Then they will also each have 5 points. So Brazil will advance on goal differential. If Ecuador beats Haiti by more than one goal then they would advance. However if Ecuador only wins by one goal then they would have the same goal differential (+1) as Peru.  The next tie breaker is total goals scored. So you see there is a big driver now for Ecuador to score a lot in their match.

2. So lets assume now that Ecuador scores multiple goals in beating Haiti. Now the only way Peru can advance is to beat Brazil. Peru only has a +1 gd right now and can not improve that unless they win. So while Brazil is fine with a tie on Sunday they must be very careful since its likely that Peru will be going all out to win. If Brazil wins then they advance and Peru is out. Now wait for it. If Peru pulls off the W they advance and Brazil is out!!! Now how cool would that be.

So that is why I think Ecuador is in the best position. They just need to get the W and win by 2 or more goals and they are going to advance. The Brazil - Peru match is shaping up to be really a good game. In the end I see Brazil winning but soccer is a funny game. Peru is no slouch and has shown some real tenacity. For soccer fans, this is a must watch game!

• BSLChrisStoner and Markus like this

#77 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Hard to keep it all straight tonight. Trying to watch the O's, Pens, and COPA.

Uruguay is losing to Venezuela 1-0 in the 63 minute. If this result holds Uruguay will have a meaningless third game.

#78 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

72nd minute and still 1-0. Suarez is coming in for Uruguay. The question now is will he link with Cavani and enable an equalizer or will he bite somebody?  Or is he? They just subbed alright but it wasn't Suarez.

• Don Quixote likes this

#79 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

78th minute and Lodeiro in for Sanchez. Apparently Suarez warmed up but wasn't able to make a go of it.  Fox just showed Suarez back on the bench and he has taken his shinguards and tape off. Clearly just can't go.

#80 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

90th minute and Cavani broke free at the penalty spot. And just flat out missed the net....so sad.....

93rd minute and one last corner.....Uruguay keeper came up for it and nobody got a head on it.....ball was cleared to midfield and Venezuela took a long ball free shot....and missed.....

Game over and Uruguay is going to play a shit nothing game now and go home. The only way they have any chance at all is if Jamaica beats Mexico......and that ain't happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=