• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#261 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

Ok so we now know we face Columbia in the third place match on Saturday night. There are typically two schools of thought on this type of game. One side says its still a competitive match and play the lineup that gives you the best chance for a result. The other school says nobody cares about a third place game so this is a good place to give some of the younger guys some good minutes and reward their work in training with some game minutes (the only field players to not see action so far are Kitchen and Castillo).

Well I fall firmly (for this particular tournament) in the first school. We have a chance to take third place in freaking Copa America Centario. It would be the highest finish ever for us in a COPA. And we get a revenge game against Coumbia whom I think we played better against than the 2-0 loss indicated.

This is the lineup I would start:

-----------------------Howard
---Yedlin------Cameron--------Brooks------Besler
-----------------------------------Bradley
------------Bedoya
-------------------------Dempsey
------Zardes-----------------------------Johnson
-------------------------Wood

Basically back to the starting XI that was playing so well with two changes. I am putting Besler at LB and moving Johnson to the midfield and I am starting Howard over Cuzan. Howard deserves a game and frankly Cuzan has not been anything special in this tournament. Mostly fine but he was not sharp in the Argentina game. Lot of guys would like to see Horvath in the nets and I understand that. Good chance he may be the keeper in 2018 but there is still plenty of time to get him good matches in the WCQ hexagonals.

This lineup is the best balance of a strong defense with ability to counter quickly. This is what we are the best at. We are not good when we try and totally bunker with no ability to move out of pressure (go rewatch Aregentina and see how we had no ability to get out of trouble). With this lineup I think we can do well against Columbia and get a good result. Build some positive momentum going into the September matches. If the game goes well (or horrible) then you can sub in Kitchen, Ngabe, and/or Pulisic to give them some more minutes. But please, I pray, that they do not play Castillo. I know he does real well in the Mexican league but everytime he dons a MNT jersey and gets on the pitch he is a disaster.

So there are my thoughts. Who knows what Klinsmann will do (although I think he has a strong desire to win this game) or the mindset of the players after the bad showing on Tuesday. But like all things in life reality usually lies somewhere in the middle of those who tout one extreme or the other. Clearly we did NOT play well against Argentina. But we also were faced with a tough opponent and missing some key cogs. Lets go out with our heads up!

Totally with you here.  It's a second chance against Colombia, and a chance to finish 3rd.

Bradley was dismissive of 3rd place games in the immediate aftermath of the loss Tuesday, but it's a chance to end this tournament feeling really positive about the experience.

Winning the group stage, and getting 4 W's in the tournament - Costa Rica, Paraguay, Ecudaor, and Colombia would be a strong achievement.

At the minimum, you got the group stage win, and the experience of playing Colombia twice, and Argentina once.  Those experiences can only improve you.

Having just played Colombia, there shouldn't be any 'intimidation' factor.

#262 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

Well, as expected, Klinsmann has announced that Timmy will get the start in goal. And I am glad for that. He has earned that and there are many who still think he is better than Guzan anyway.

But the sad news is that both Brooks and Johnson are "banged up" and Klnsmann won't decide until this afternoon if they are going to play or not. If they don't then I expect to see Besler and Brinbaum in the back with Yedlin and Cameron. Again please no Edgar Castillo.

It has also been confirmed that the red card Jones got was a one game suspension only! So he is back today.  So here are my two projected lineups based on whether Brooks and Johnson can go.

---Yedlin------Cameron--------Brooks------Johnson
------------Bedoya
-------------------------Jones
------Zardes-----------------------------Dempsey

or

---Yedlin------Cameron--------Birnbaum-----Besler
------------Bedoya
-------------------------Jones
------Zardes-----------------------------Dempsey

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

#263 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

ESPN: Weary U.S. have plenty to prove in third-place match vs. Colombia

http://www.espnfc.us...tch-vs-colombia

#264 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

Well no Brooks or Johnson. So my second lineup is the way they are going except Orozco is starting rather than Brinbaum.  So while we are missing two really good players the lineup still suggests they are treating this as a meaningful game.

A little surprised not to see Ngabe but I look for him to be an early second half sub. Key to the first half is to contain Caudardo and James.  Columbia also taking this game serious. Stout lineup they are putting out there.

I probably sound like a broken record but the key for us will be if we can get Zardes, Bedoya, and Yedlin wide behind their backs. Having Jones back is big and helps Bradley immensely. Those two link up well and Jones can push the ball forward and have Bradley as a fallback and it lets Michael move back to DM where he belongs.

Look for Columbia to press high. Argentina did that so well and we had no answer to get out of trouble. But having Jones and Bedoya on the field helps that a lot plus this is Columbia (they ARE good) but they are NOT Argentina.

#265 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:02 AM

Well out we go with a 1-0 loss to Columbia so its a fourth place finish. Equaling our best ever COPA. Much to be encouraged about from this game.

1. We have a solid back line in Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, and Johnson. And Besler is also worth of starts. Still don't understand why Klinsmann doesn't move Johnson up to midfield and use his creativity in the attack more. Yedlin is so dangerous in his supporting runs down the wing. His defense is shaky at times but he will continue to improve. Orozco was clearly the weak link last night. Not a good game. We may actually be building some depth in the back too. We have some young players like Miazga and up and comers like Villafana.

2 Bradley is so much better when he has Jones with him. But not sure the Michael is going to be a starter in Russia in 2018. Expect to see more and more of Darlington Nagbe and Perry Kitchen. Additionally, Hydnman and Zelalem will start to see time.

3. The attack is looking fine for the future. Wood (to me anyway) has taken over the up top striker over Altidore although Jozy is clearly still in the mix for 2018. Pulisic is going to be special and he showed glimpses of that last night. And Clint is still the man. Now one glaring weakness AGAIN shown last night. We attacked really well in the final third. BUT we have to learn to shoot the freaking ball! Way too many passes and layoffs inside the 18. Goodness guys put the foot to the ball and send it home.

4. Not sure what we will do for keeper. It is a different spot as far as age goes so there is still a chance that Howard or Cuzan is the starter in 2018. I still like the way Tim commands the field more than Brad. Horvath is the young keeper who may take the reigns.

So while I would have liked to see us go out with a W there is no shame in the game last night. We played very well and went toe to toe with a top 5 team in the world. In fact I think we had more control than Columbia and every bit as many good chances. We just couldn't finish. And the Columbia keeper did make a world class stop on Dempsey's free kick. And yes both teams hit the posts. All in all a great match to watch.

And aren't you all happy that I wrote this whole synopsis without talking about the poor officiating last night and the continued South American whiners and floppers (give them Columbians some Oscar's). :mrgreen:

• You Play to Win the Game and Markus like this

#266 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

Messi done playing with national team?

http://www.espnfc.co...y-loss-to-chile

Can't imagine something like this happening to a US athlete in a major sport.

#267 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:41 AM

Messi done playing with national team?

http://www.espnfc.co...y-loss-to-chile

Can't imagine something like this happening to a US athlete in a major sport.

And he actually gets a lot of shit from the Argentinians because he plays and has lived in Spain full time for years.  They feel isn't true to his home country and if he isn't going to play for them any longer then he is really going to get ripped apart there.  I am sure it was just an emotional thing, he will play for them again at the next World Cup, IMO.

#268 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

4. Not sure what we will do for keeper. It is a different spot as far as age goes so there is still a chance that Howard or Cuzan is the starter in 2018. I still like the way Tim commands the field more than Brad. Horvath is the young keeper who may take the reigns.

You think Hamid is out of the running?  I know he didn't get an invite to this Copa/training but I think that may be more just because he was coming back from injury.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#269 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

Markus, yes Hamid is still in the mix. A lot of guys more in the know than me just don't see him in the MNT picture in 2018. The problem (I have been there and done that) is that when you are not the keeper in the eyes of the manager it is very very difficult to break into a team. I have no idea how Klinsmann sees Bill in this regard but I do know that there have been opportunties and it doesn't seem like he gets much chance. Still time for him to make a mark for 2018 but we'll see. Most guys are clamoring for Horvath to see what he's got. Bottom line is lets see who gets called into camp for the two September WCQs. They are games the US should win easily and a perfect time for Klinsmann to inject the young guys with minimal risk. In fact there is a very good chance that we will have advanced to the next round after our next match making the Sept 6 game against Trinidad and Tobago a "freebie."

Nor on to Messi. Lionel left Argentina when we was 9 years old so there is no wonder that a lot of Argentinians see him more as a Spaniard than and Argentine. I get that but I think much of the hate directed at him is misguided. Did you see the look on his face after the game last night? He was totally distraught. He wanted this Cup for Argentina bad. He isn't the outspoken type like Maradonna (who frankly should shut the hell up about Messi) or as charismatic as Ronaldo. But he is THE best player on the planet. I listened to SiriusXMFC today for a number of hours and most of the "experts" think that he let his emotions get the best of him and that he will be back for Argentina. He is only 29 years old so he'll be just 31 at Russia 2018. No reason he won't still be able to play at a very very high level. Now only time will tell but I sure hope we haven't seen the last of Messi in the blue and white stripes.

Here's what I think is an on par analogy with Messi. Yes he has lost all four finals he has taken Argentina to. Much like Jim Kelly and his four Buffalo Bills run at the Super Bowl which they also lost all four. Were the Bills better off with a different QB than Kelly because he was 0-4 in the Super Bowl. Well holy crap folks. How many Super Bowls do they even get to without him. How many major finals tournaments does Argentina even make without Leo?????????????  Chill out Argentinians. You freaking need him way more than he needs you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=