CBS Sports: Report: Raiders' Carr (hand) likely out Sunday

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,089 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:12 PM

Feels weird to need a "get well" game in Week 2, but it's good timing for this game.  Let's see the offense roll, the defense shut down their run game and force a guy who can't even start for the freaking Raiders to try and beat us, and a lopsided score to help erase the sting of losing Suggs and a tight game that felt winnable late in Denver.

No style points in the NFL, but if we don't win very comfortably I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

• Mike in STL likes this

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:21 PM

Mack and Smith on the outside could be an issue.

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:35 PM

Yup. Two more good edge rushers. More passes from under center. Establish the run game. Move the pocket if needed. Trestman needs to show something.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

Surprised the Ravens haven't been more interested in a veteran WR. The guys we have outside of Smith just don't seem ready outside of a 3rd or 4th WR role.

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

They like their guys. That got the O's in trouble. Except when the Ravens like their guys it carries a lot more weight than the O's.
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

They like their guys. That got the O's in trouble. Except when the Ravens like their guys it carries a lot more weight than the O's.

With WR's being pretty much the sole exception for some crazy reason.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:30 PM

Surprised the Ravens haven't been more interested in a veteran WR. The guys we have outside of Smith just don't seem ready outside of a 3rd or 4th WR role.

What vet WR that is available is worth a damn?

The Ravens probably feel whoever they have is better or at least similar to what is out there and that they can give their own guys experience and see what they do with it.

Plus, they get Perriman back soon enough.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

Great stat by @BaltimoreLuke. This Sunday will mark 1st time Ravens will play without either R.Lewis, E.Reed or Suggs since Oct.11, 1998

• Mike in STL likes this

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

The Ravens probably feel whoever they have is better or at least similar to what is out there and that they can give their own guys experience and see what they do with it.

I dont know, but I like experience. Just the ins and outs of route running, being there before, etc. Someone like Nicks or Wayne. Watching someone like Cotchery yesterday made me want somone like him. Listen, I don't expect the glory days from some of the "name" vets but all things being equal I'd rather have the vet. Marlon Brown and Aiken and Camp aren't guys that should be taking a lot of snaps on a team that considers itself a contender. 

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:22 PM

Not that anyone here would be late, but pretty sure this game is a 4:05 ET start.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:25 PM

Feels weird to need a "get well" game in Week 2, but it's good timing for this game.  

Like in 2013, when they limped home from Denver and got to play the Browns?

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:36 PM

I really feel like this is a game you read little into unless we lose. We could win big and it won't make me feel any better. We could play a tight game and it won't make me feel worse. It's a road game in the NFL.

I would like to see some positive signs from some particular units. The OL after their disastrous week in Denver and the run defense without Suggs. I don't think most fans realize how big Suggs is to our run defense. Will his replacement hold that edge well enough, crash well enough. He is such a high IQ football player.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

I really feel like this is a game you read little into unless we lose. We could win big and it won't make me feel any better. We could play a tight game and it won't make me feel worse. It's a road game in the NFL.
I would like to see some positive signs from some particular units. The OL after their disastrous week in Denver and the run defense without Suggs. I don't think most fans realize how big Suggs is to our run defense. Will his replacement hold that edge well enough, crash well enough. He is such a high IQ football player.

You feel good about things, even if it's not a good team we are playing because it could help build confidence for individuals.

Look, it's not easy to win on the road in the NFL. I will take a win any way it happens but sure, if they look bad it doesn't bode well for Cinci and Pitt.

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:07 PM

It depends on how they look. Do we dominate the LOS and put together drives or do we just hit on 2 or 3 big plays. Flacco getting hit a lot again or the OL not opening up running lanes isn't going to make me feel good. On the flipside, if we do establish drives but can't quite finish with TDs and settle for too many FGs I'll feel better. That was the thing about last year under Kubiak. We sustained drives so well. We just weren't a great redzone team.

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

Taliaferro practiced today.
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

Mack and Smith on the outside could be an issue.

It could be argued that those two are more talented than Miller and Ware. Tackles will be tested again. I expect Wagner to play a whole lot better. LT still scares me.

If we can give Flacco time, we can move the ball. Oakland have the edge rushers, but they don't have the same quality secondary that the Broncos have. Talib and Harris Jr. are as good a duo as any out there. I expect Aiken, Brown and Camp to be able to get open a little easier.

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

Taliaferro practiced today.

Jernigan did as well.
@BSLMikeRandall

#19 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:13 PM

I wouldn't mind a look at Welker. He's one hard shot to a concussion, but he can get open and create underneath.

#20 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

It's not about the guys suiting up at WR per se. Don't get me wrong, better talent would help but you're likely not going to find that during the regular season.

First and foremost, we need to protect better. Allow WRs an opportunity to finish their routes, work themselves open. I can't say enough how piss poor our protection was last week.

The other portion falls on the OC and the system. You can scheme guys open through formations, route combos, flooding zones, etc. I mean, does anyone look at Julian Edelmen and Danny Amendola as real talents at WR? I certainly don't but the system in New England schemes them open. Even when the Pats don't have Gronk on the field, they scheme their guys open.

Let's get some quick hitters, slants, maybe a bubble screen....do some things to get the ball in Smith Sr or Campanaro's hands early and let them make YAC.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=