5819 replies to this topic

#4921 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:02 PM

The US bailed out the Brits not once, but TWICE in their wars with Germany. Go HOME Harry!

https://dailycaller....ndment-bonkers/

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#4922 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:23 PM

I think maybe context matters but this quote doesn’t seem all that offensive to me. Maybe a bit misguided. I’m obviously not familiar with British law at all but I would imagine they also have laws similar to the rights afforded by the first amendment.

“I’ve got so much I want to say about the First Amendment as I sort of understand it, but it is bonkers. I don’t want to start going down the First Amendment route because that’s a huge subject and one which I don’t understand because I’ve only been here a short time,” Prince Harry said. “But, you can find a loophole in anything. You can capitalize or exploit what’s not said rather than uphold what is said.”

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4923 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:35 PM

The US bailed out the Brits not once, but TWICE in their wars with Germany. Go HOME Harry!

First off, we didn't bail out anybody in WW1... we showed up right at the end and made a tiny contribution compared to the others involved.  We lost something like 50K dead... while the Brits lost almost 900K.  So let's back off any idea that we bailed anybody out.  We didn't.

As for WW2, the Brits bled a lot more in Europe than we did... but, you're right, we sent soldiers (too many of whom died) and lots of stuff.  But what in God's name does that have to do with his opinion now?  Since he's been here, he's seen the 1st Amendment abused by those in Congress and in the so-called news media who lie to people about the election being stolen... given that, what do you expect him to think?

Regardless, the 1st Amendment applies to him too... he not only gets to have an opinion, he also gets to say it out loud. 

Maybe you'd respect him more if you realized he fought in front-line combat next to our guys in the Afghanistan War.  He wanted to go with his unit to Iraq, but the idiots at HQ wouldn't let him... so he kept at it and made them keep it secret when he went to Afghanistan to keep the press from having a fit about it.  How many of the right-wing pol's and right-wing media people who've been busy abusing the 1st Amendment risked their own butt?  Last I checked, it was zero.

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08 and BSLRoseKatz like this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#4924 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:19 PM

Didn't read the article? Seems to me like he's complaining about misinformation by the media rather than against a citizen's rights to speak their mind.
  • The Epic and McNulty like this

#4925 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:50 PM

I also don't see why we need to worry about his opinion any more than any other prominent British person, I'd have the same reaction to this quote if it came from Adele or Wayne Rooney or whoever 

• russsnyder likes this

#4926 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:56 PM

equivocating.jpg

@fuzydunlop

#4927 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:04 AM

George: Oh with all due respect, I went there too, and I work for a team that just won the World Series.

Jerry: And you were integral.

@fuzydunlop

#4928 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:22 AM

I also don't see why we need to worry about his opinion any more than any other prominent British person, I'd have the same reaction to this quote if it came from Adele or Wayne Rooney or whoever

Yeah, I really don't care what Harry thinks about anything. Nice to see that he has a job. ( If you want to call it that.) I'd also respect him a bit if he renounced his titles. But hey, it must be good to be a Prince, even if you are estranged from the other Royals.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#4929 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:10 AM

The Brits are a very strong allied of this Nation and has been for many decades.

Going to aid somebody getting their people killed is considered bail out, that blows my mind.

Just like this nation, they have clowns that need to be ignored.

• russsnyder likes this

#4930 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 11:53 AM

Is there a way to streamline the job application process? I’m sick of these places that make you create a profile, write out your entire resume and more in it, and at the end it asks you to “attach resume”.

Considering the time it takes to do your due diligence in researching a company, then writing a cover letter that sounds personal to them and why you would be a fit. Combined with filling out 8 pages of stuff that is all on your resume that you’re attaching anyway, it takes many hours to apply for one job.

When you’re trying to plant a lot of seeds in short period of time, it’s not efficient at all for the applicant. But super efficient for the company who uses this a filter to kick out any applicants who don’t use certain buzzwords in their “profile”, so that the hiring manager doesn’t ever see your CL or resume anyway.

And I tried posting my resume to the recruiting sites. All I got was calls from companies who want you to stand in Home Depot and sell solar panels, or go to door to door selling windows and gutters. Honest work, but not at all what I went to school for, nor even close to what my resume suggests I’d be a fit to do.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Russ like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4931 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:51 PM

Yeah I didn't realize how quickly I'd get burnt out writing cover letters and I'm just out of college, I'd imagine it's much worse for like...real adults  

#4932 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 02:53 PM

Yeah I didn't realize how quickly I'd get burnt out writing cover letters and I'm just out of college, I'd imagine it's much worse for like...real adults  

Your resume should tell a company all they need to know about your qualifications and experience, and should be the baseline for whether or not you are worthy of an interview. 

IMO, cover letters are a complete waste of time, but I do them to the best of my ability anyway cause you have to. You are stating you are interested in a job, which is redundant because submitting a resume tells them that. You explain why you're a good fit only going off of what you learned about the company by reading their "about us" section. "You're core values resonate with me..." or something, and it's related to something also, in your resume already. You're thanking them for their consideration when that is something you do with a post interview thank you letter. 

I think it's all a ruse just to eliminate more candidates ahead of time, save companies time and in turn, money. 

EDIT: I'm more irked about the "create a profile" process, filling in 8-10 pages of blanks that is my basically my resume broken down for a computer to read it and not a human, for 90% of the jobs I've applied for. 

• BSLRoseKatz likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4933 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:53 PM

My favorite part of that process was fill out everything...and then include your resume which states everything. But as you said Mike, most applications aren't read by humans. Those that are, they typically spend under a minute looking at.

Edit...or you upload your resume and it screws up the form information and you have to spend 30 minutes fixing that.

Yep, happy to not have to do that any longer.

#4934 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:06 PM

My favorite part of that process was fill out everything...and then include your resume which states everything. But as you said Mike, most applications aren't read by humans. Those that are, they typically spend under a minute looking at.

Edit...or you upload your resume and it screws up the form information and you have to spend 30 minutes fixing that.

Yep, happy to not have to do that any longer.

Oh yeah. That’s always a fun one.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4935 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:09 PM

Why is it that Ocean City seems unprepared for Senior Week every year? Like, collectively as an area.

#4936 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:16 PM

Why is it that Ocean City seems unprepared for Senior Week every year? Like, collectively as an area.

I know the rental process has got more involved, they care whom is renting their units. Checking age, and listing all those staying in that rental on the lease, including how they are related to you. Senior week has always had their share of "stories", just these days we have social media. I had pretty amazing parents and I was able to go just about anywhere. But, they were dead set on me and Ocean City as a graduated Senior, with an already guaranteed Federal job lined up, my butt could visit OC later, but not senior week. and this was too many decades ago to count.

#4937 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:20 PM

I went to Senior Week and probably acted like an idiot.  Glad there was no cell phone video back then.  I seem to remember that by the next year, the place I had stayed at was no longer renting to high school kids.

• Mackus likes this

#4938 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:27 PM

Combination of incompetence and the severity of stuff to police getting worse. Dealing with some stupid drunk 17 year olds on the boardwalk climbing light posts is one thing. Dealing with them mixed in with 18-21 year olds with backpacks full of drugs and handguns? Right. Not exactly the cream of the crop out there police wise...they can't handle serious issues on top of knuckleheads.

It's infinitely more dangerous down there than it was 20 years ago.

@JeremyMStrain

#4939 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:32 PM

Senior week is nothing compared to this H20 craziness every year now.

#4940 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:34 PM

Senior week is nothing compared to this H20 craziness every year now.

??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=