7 replies to this topic

#1 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

What's the story with SP's wearing ballgloves with the Nike swoosh on them?  Anybody know who makes them?

Does anybody but SP's wear them?   I get why they'd do it only for P's, but I haven't kept notes about whether any RP's have them too...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

I think Nike pays pitchers to wear their gloves since they are on-camera all the time, particularly the starters.  And pitchers are probably the least concerned with actual quality of the glove, good enough probably is good enough since they don't make many plays, so a few bucks to wear a Nike glove instead of a Rawlings or Wilson is probably a fair trade in their minds.

Do you really keep notes about which type of glove each player wears?

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

Nike sells some baseball gloves. They're significantly more expensive than Rawlings, Wilson, All-Star, Nokona, etc.

Any player can wear them if they'd like, it's really up to the player on what their comfort level is with a company/glove. One of my clients wear Nike but typically they're not too popular.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

As an additional point, most of the baseball companies (for spikes/apparel: UA, Nike, New Balance, for gloves: Rawlings, Wilson, for bats: Slugger, Marucci, just to name a select few) have contracts with most if not all of the MLB players. The players are pretty much given whatever gear they need so that they can endorse those companies by wearing their products. They/their agents don't have to buy much for them.

#5 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

Do you really keep notes about which type of glove each player wears?

I said I didn't... all I did was notice SP's wearing swoosh gloves... the whole reason Nike does it is because it's hard to miss...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#6 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

Nike sells some baseball gloves. They're significantly more expensive than Rawlings, Wilson, All-Star, Nokona, etc.

Any player can wear them if they'd like, it's really up to the player on what their comfort level is with a company/glove. One of my clients wear Nike but typically they're not too popular.

Have you ever handled one?  Are they worth a damn?

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:32 PM

Have you ever handled one?  Are they worth a damn?

I personally have not. One of our guys loves his, another guy that had one hated his. That's not solely Nike baseball gloves, but across the board.

It really just depends on what the player wants to wear. Some guys only wear Under Armour batting gloves, some only wear Franklins. It usually depends on what the player used growing up and throughout high school/college. From my experience, this doesn't really apply to the Dominicans or Venezuelans, as they usually focus more on the color or style of their gear whereas the American guys usually stick to a brand.

#8 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

I was going to find a photo of Koji's crazy glove, and found that he has a Nike Swoosh too.  He had one when he was with the O's, I never noticed.

vSJwfAp.jpg

7sOO9oc.jpg

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=