91 replies to this topic

#21 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'm done with this show. Really enjoyed the pilot but I really don't like the direction it seems to be heading and my Sundays will be full with Breaking Bad and Big Brother. Maybe if there were any characters that I was interested in I'd stick with it..

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,926 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

I'm really enjoying this show.

I know there are a lot of complaints about it out there from reading the comment sections of some recaps I follow, but I have been entertained. I would agree that some of the character development seems either rushed or missing, and the goofiness of so many of the characters seems a bit odd, but overall I've been enjoying it each week. I do notice a lot of the similarities to previous Sorkin vehicles, but I liked all of those vehicles, so that's a good thing as long as it's not too all-encompassing. I did think this most recent episode got a bit too close to the West Wing episode where Pres. Bartlett couldn't sleep so he had to speak to a psychiatrist and they uncovered that his father used to hit him while showing flashbacks to the events of recent days that led to his lack of sleep.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

I know there are a lot of complaints about it out there from reading the comment sections of some recaps I follow, but I have been entertained. I would agree that some of the character development seems either rushed or missing, and the goofiness of so many of the characters seems a bit odd, but overall I've been enjoying it each week. I do notice a lot of the similarities to previous Sorkin vehicles, but I liked all of those vehicles, so that's a good thing as long as it's not too all-encompassing. I did think this most recent episode got a bit too close to the West Wing episode where Pres. Bartlett couldn't sleep so he had to speak to a psychiatrist and they uncovered that his father used to hit him while showing flashbacks to the events of recent days that led to his lack of sleep.

Agreed.

Is there a go-to site you use for episode recaps?

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,926 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

I usually read Alan Sepinwall or the recaps from Entertainment Weekly. Like Sepinwall better, though I don't always agree with him.

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

I haven't seen the West Wing, but yeah, that seems way too close.

Sorkin should try to be a little more original compared to his own work at least.

There was a funny video posted earlier that showed a lot of similarities between Sorkin projects.

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

I wonder if Trea belongs to one of those troll boards. :lol:
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

I've been re-watching The Newsroom the past couple of days. It comes back in July. Due to all of the crazy things that have been going on in our country the past several months, and of course this past week, I wish all news outlets had to sit in a room and be "News Night 2.0" certified. 

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,267 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Season 2 begins tonight.

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,267 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

I haven't seen the West Wing, but yeah, that seems way too close.

Sorkin should try to be a little more original compared to his own work at least.

There was a funny video posted earlier that showed a lot of similarities between Sorkin projects.

The Slate: http://www.slate.com...atch_video.html

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

I loved season 1. Couldnt wait for season 2. But I must say. I'm not digging season 2 so far. I understand that some of these hbo series take a couple episodes to get the ball rolling. But season 1 was off and running right from the start.

Will McAvoy seems to be taking a back seat to the jim/maggie/don story line. Which is shaping up exactly like the jim/pam/roy story from "the office." Except these actors aren't strong enough to carry the load. Jeff Daniels makes this show, and his role has been minimal to start.
@BSLMikeRandall

#31 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

I thought episode 1 of season 2 was pretty good but last nights episode was very meh.  If felt like it was a "further-the-plot-along" episode.

Yeah I get it, Maggie wants to get out of the office, Jim's out of the office, and Don had his own personal crusade all because of their love triangle.  Great.  Just get Jim sleeping with that other reporter woman already, send Maggie and the guy from Homeland off to Africa and have more Will and Chris Messina. 

• Mike in STL likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,926 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

I don't like how they are now trying to hammer us over the head with "Don is such a good guy".  Sloan, Jim, and Maggie have all said that at some point in the last 3 episodes after he was basically shown as a sleazeball for most of the first season aside from a few short glimpses of humanity in the office.

I don't hate the character change, but you have to show him changing, can't just have all the other characters all of a sudden talk about how good he is.

#33 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I don't like how they are now trying to hammer us over the head with "Don is such a good guy".  Sloan, Jim, and Maggie have all said that at some point in the last 3 episodes after he was basically shown as a sleazeball for most of the first season aside from a few short glimpses of humanity in the office.

I don't hate the character change, but you have to show him changing, can't just have all the other characters all of a sudden talk about how good he is.

There might have been a little of that change in how he handled to youtube video thing. And he tried to get Will to help get an innocent man off death row. But yeah. Hes not a likeable guy yet.
@BSLMikeRandall

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

I don't even want Jim and Maggie to get together. I actually wanted Jim and Pam to get together.

#35 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

This past episode was probably the best one of this season, 4 episodes in. Except for the predictable Jim and whatever her name is hook up. Otherwise, high drama and had its comedic moments. Hope for more of that going forward.
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Haha, was just looking for this to update it.  Episodes 3 and 4 have been much better than episode 2 was.  And yeah, other than the horribly predictable hook-up of Jim and Vassar-blondie.  And now it makes sense why Maggie's changed her hair color.  That was pretty brutal.

#37 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

Haha, was just looking for this to update it.  Episodes 3 and 4 have been much better than episode 2 was.  And yeah, other than the horribly predictable hook-up of Jim and Vassar-blondie.  And now it makes sense why Maggie's changed her hair color.  That was pretty brutal.

Definitely didnt see that one coming with Maggie. I'm really curious what's going to come of this "Genoa" story. The show revolves around real events, and this one never happened, or made news, to my knowledge.
@BSLMikeRandall

#38 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

Definitely didnt see that one coming with Maggie. I'm really curious what's going to come of this "Genoa" story. The show revolves around real events, and this one never happened, or made news, to my knowledge.

Yeah I could see it being something that isn't true/doesn't come to fruition and thus costs the substitute-Jim his job (since the actor is probably just signed for the season or just a few # of episodes) and thus making it really convenient for Jim to come back from the road.

• Mike in STL likes this

#39 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Good point
@BSLMikeRandall

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Me too. One of the things I liked about the show was how it really stuck to a real life timeline and real life events, and Sorkin did his typical phenomenal job filling in the details with the characters. Skee-Ball is probably right. I bet it turns out as untrue, and there's a big issue in the office. 

Speaking of the real events - there is going to be some gut wrenching moments later in the season if they cover all the crazy shit that happened since season 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=