#1 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Anyone else going to give this a shot? Another Aaron Sorkin concoction, this time with Jeff Daniels. It premiere's Sunday at 10:00 PM on HBO.

Trailer below:

wC8ovJYAU3U

I think it looks pretty awesome. Who's with me?

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm with you, looks excellent. I'd be surprised to see it last though.

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm gonna DVR it and give it a whirl.
@JeremyMStrain

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'm with you, looks excellent. I'd be surprised to see it last though.

That's my fear as well - but I'm hopeful with HBO as they're usually better about that type of stuff - I guess we'll see. I just hope it kicks ass, then we'll take it from there.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

I'm very interested in this series.

It'll be hard not to compare it to West Wing, though, which would be tough for any series to live up to. HBO dramas are generally really well put together though, and are given a decent chance to develop a story and draw in an audience.

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm gonna DVR it and give it a whirl.

Same here. Its summer, not like theres much else to watch.

#7 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Slate has had a couple great review of this show. Sounds pretty good. Doubtful that it gets over to Israel any time in the next year, though, so I'll probably have to download it to be able to see it.

http://www.slate.com... ... room_.html

http://www.slate.com... ... room_.html

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

I really enjoyed episode 1 - Jeff Daniels is perfect for this character - what did you all think?

Also, I love Aaron Sorkin's writing - so much dialogue, but so good.

#9 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Jeff Daniels got old.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#10 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

I've read some pretty solid reviews. I think I'll check it out.

@AdamWolff

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

I really enjoyed it. Sorkin does a really good job of writing characters you like right away. It's hard to not see the similarities to the West Wing or even Sports Nite (I never watched Studio 60), but I thought it was a very good pilot. Started off real strong, pulled it back a bit to introduce the characters, and then built up steadily throughout. I'm in for the rest of the season.

I noticed right away that Sorkin got Jesse Eisenberg to do the voice for the inspector. Nice little "cameo", if it can even be called that.

#12 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

I too am really into this show already - two episodes in and I'm already feeling pretty invested in the main characters.

This to me is how a news station should be providing the news as opposed to worrying about ratings or pandering to one side or the other. Can't wait for episode three.

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

I really enjoyed the first episode but hated the second one. I don't find any of these characters likable and they're pretty much all annoying. The show is entertaining when it comes to the actual news production but other than that I'm going to have to pass.

#14 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Check this out... Sorkin uses the same lines over and over and over again throughout his TV shows and movie scripts.

http://www.dailymoti...q_sorkinisms_tv
  • mweb08 likes this

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'm enjoying the show so far, but it is very similar so far to Sports Night. Will and Mackenzie are in the same mold as Casey and Dana and there seems to be a Jeremy and Natalie thing developing with Jim and Maggie. Plus, there's now the pressure from above to do the show a different way and to get ratings, which was a big thing in Sports Night. Then of course there's the obvious similarity of them both being about TV shows that are the same type of show other than the subject matter.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I agree that it's shaping up a lot like Sports Night. I think that's ok. We only got one season of Sports Night. We don't have any idea where these relationships are going.

There are some differences, too. I see more of a Jim/Pam/Roy from early seasons of The Office going on with Jim and Maggie than Natalie and Jeremy from Sports Night. Also, with Casey and Dana it was them being friends and trying to start something new (then Dana did the weird thing making Casey wait for some reason that it's been too long since I've watched that show to remember). With Will and Mackenzie (hate that they call her Mac...that's my name!), they've had the relationship before, and now are trying to just work together. They'll throw a bit of the "will they or won't they" stuff in there I'm sure, but I think stuff like Will dating these smokeshows and Mackenzie's boyfriend coming to the studio make the characters jealous that the other is happy and they are not moreso than sad that they aren't together anymore.

I've really enjoyed the show so far. Thought the 2nd episode wasn't as good as the premiere, but last night was very good.

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

There were actually 2 seasons of Sports Night.

I don't mind either for the record.

As far as the differences, you make some good points. They did however do the same thing with Casey and Dana regarding making the other jealous by bringing each other's dates in to the office and I very much expect there to be a similar buildup to Will and Mackenzie possibly dating. There was the neighbor from Married with Children and the tall late night anchor to mention the primary examples.

Maggie and Jim I think will be a very abbreviated version of Pam, Roy, and Jim and then will be more similar to Jeremy and Natalie, but we'll see.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

There were actually 2 seasons of Sports Night.

Hmm...I know I've seen every episode, always thought it was just one season though. Was the first one only like 6 episodes?

Gotta go back and check that out to make sure. I really enjoyed that show, before even knowing who Aaron Sorkin was.

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hmm...I know I've seen every episode, always thought it was just one season though. Was the first one only like 6 episodes?

Gotta go back and check that out to make sure. I really enjoyed that show, before even knowing who Aaron Sorkin was.

Two full seasons.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

I loved Sports Night, and I agree there are similarities. There is also a striking similarity in the music in Newsroom and The West Wing. Newsroom strikes me as "throw back" in that regard.

Anyway, I definitely like this show a lot so far. Last episode was great, but I don't think any of the first three episodes have been weak by any stretch. Sorkin sure does know how to write the hell out of a speech. Jeff Daniel's "apology" and declaration of commitment to a new style of news was amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=