285 replies to this topic

#41 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:38 AM

BTW Preston says Kough's boy Maxxy Waxxy is struggling and had no chance to start this year. Very easy "blurb" for you too find too.
  • SportsGuy likes this

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

So you admit Kubiak turned them into one of the best units in the NFL and you also expect them to regress now that he is gone. Thank you Shields. Exact same players, why can't they be just as good? He'll Monroe was about as bad as he could be last year, and superstar Wagner missed a number of games. Why not better?

They can be better. There is absolutely room for it because of Monroe.

However, I never expect anyone or any unit that dominated one year to dominate at the same level the next.

For example, the Ravens had historically good special teams a few years back. Last year, they were still one of the best in the league but not historically good.

You should be able to comprehend that...at least I assume you should.

We have no idea what the offense will look like.

Here's what I am saying....Yanda is great, KO is well above average. We have an average or so center. Monroe is slightly above average if he is healthy. Wagner easily was a top RT last year. He needs to show it again. My guess is Wagner will continue to be an upper echelon tackle though. Again, the system matters but winning one on one matchups has very little to do with the system and more to do with skill level.

I think the run game is more system related and the pass protection is based off of being stronger in one on one matchups. Wagner, KO and Yanda excelled in pass protection last year.

I don't know what to expect about the run game but i think it will be very good. It may not be as good as last year but I also expect the passing game to be better this year.

#43 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

Rob with the long post that essentially says nothing. His special. At least you made somewhat of a prediction at the end.

The passing offense likely won't be better. At least not efficiency wise. Sure, Joe might finally throw for 4000 yards, but it'll come at the expense of the overall efficiency. His 67 QBR was easily the best of his career last year. It was that good because he had a good running game first and foremost. Then Kubiak worked with him enough and called plays that demanded that he get the ball out decisively, quickly, and on time. We will see what the QB whisper can do. The more I read about Trestman the more concerned I get. He doesn't like to run the ball and Joe needs a running game.

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

The real question about the offense is will the youth develop.

The Oline and Flacco will look poor if the WR can't get open, if the RBs don't read the holes correctly, etc....

I don't csre who the OC is or how good you are up front, if you don't do those things, you will struggle.

I happen to think we will do enough in those areas but if Maxx continues to struggle with the playbook, Pitta doesn't even play and Perriman is a bust, this offense will likely struggle.

#45 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

The real question about the offense is will the youth develop.

The Oline and Flacco will look poor if the WR can't get open, if the RBs don't read the holes correctly, etc....

I don't csre who the OC is or how good you are up front, if you don't do those things, you will struggle.

I happen to think we will do enough in those areas but if Maxx continues to struggle with the playbook, Pitta doesn't even play and Perriman is a bust, this offense will likely struggle.

There is Robs out should things go wrong. Knew it was coming. Lol.

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

Rob with the long post that essentially says nothing. His special. At least you made somewhat of a prediction at the end.
The passing offense likely won't be better. At least not efficiency wise. Sure, Joe might finally throw for 4000 yards, but it'll come at the expense of the overall efficiency. His 67 QBR was easily the best of his career last year. It was that good because he had a good running game first and foremost. Then Kubiak worked with him enough and called plays that demanded that he get the ball out decisively, quickly, and on time. We will see what the QB whisper can do. The more I read about Trestman the more concerned I get. He doesn't like to run the ball and Joe needs a running game.

Common sense and intelligence really are difficult concepts for you, aren't they? It must suck to struggle through life unable to comprehend simple thought.

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

There is Robs out should things go wrong. Knew it was coming. Lol.

Lol...what a moron.

What did I say there that is untrue?

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

To be positive though, I agree with Kough that the front 7 can be really special. If you have a front 7, you have a great chance. The secondary should be good enough if healthy. The offense never has been and never will be an anchor that brings the defense down under Joe Flacco. Should all add up to another playoff berth. Once we get to the playoffs we always have a real shot.

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

The Ravens will be amongst the top 5 teams in the NFL in terms of their ability to dominate in the trenches.

StL has a better front 4 but their Oline isn't as good. Dallas has a great Oline but not as strong up front.

The Ravens combo of both may be unmatched but I need to see what other teams like say Buffalo will have on the Oline.

#50 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

BTW Preston says Kough's boy Maxxy Waxxy is struggling and had no chance to start this year. Very easy "blurb" for you too find too.

That's way off from the blurbs I've seen everywhere else. Read he was up and down Thursday and Friday, but was great at Saturdays practice, getting open often and catching everything.

Only real negatives I've seen so far have been Asa Jackson's play so far, and the O-line getting dominated by our D-line.

As far as the Line argument. I'd say it's fair to expect a little regression. Kubiak and his system did have an impact. With that said, KO and Wagner are definitely good players. I really didn't see a negative out of Wagner last year. He fired off and cleared lanes in the running game, and I don't remember him getting beat consistently at all in pass protection. As the man said, a system can help, but eventually it simply comes down to the better player winning the one on one battle. Especially on the lines. And our O-line didn't lose very many one on one's last year.

I'm glad our D-line I'd dominating. Let's our O-line know they need to improve. But at the same time, having a dominant front 7 going against your offense every day, will only make them better.

#51 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

Found the article you were speaking of on Williams. He is basing that prediction all off of one blocking drill in which he got his ass busted by Terell Suggs. But praises Boyle because he blocked Upshaw. I mean, you can use that to back your point if you want. Guess every LT and TE in football shouldn't be starting then, if we're basing it off of Suggs making you look bad.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

It's clear from everything we've heard that Williams won't be starting Week 1. He won't get many snaps week 1 period. How much he gets as the season progresses is all up to him.

#53 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

It's clear from everything we've heard that Williams won't be starting Week 1. He won't get many snaps week 1 period. How much he gets as the season progresses is all up to him.

This wouldnt surprise me because he just turned 21 years old. Also we know how Harbaugh uses rookies. The job is Gillmore's to lose. Not Williams' to win.
@BSLMikeRandall

#54 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

This wouldnt surprise me because he just turned 21 years old. Also we know how Harbaugh uses rookies. The job is Gillmore's to lose. Not Williams' to win.

But with Pitta out and Trestman liking the 2TE set who gets those snaps. Boyle stay inline and move Gillmore split out more? Do they just go away from 2TE and use more 3 and 4 WR sets

#55 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

But with Pitta out and Freshman liking the 2TE set who gets those snaps. Boyle stay inline and move Gillmore split out more? Do they just go away from 2TE and use more 3 and 4 WR sets

That depends on Trestman. Is he popular for using two TE sets, like Kubiak? Or does he like having a slot guy over the 2nd TE?

Williams clearly is under a huge learning curve. I love his raw talent. But he is coming from a school that was very basic in their passing game, to one of the NFL's better offensive minds as coordinator.

The more I hear of Gilmore, the more I realize I've underestimated him. He always could block. And apparently he's been punishing people so far. But I just don't know how much of a natural pass catcher he can be. And that's where I like Williams. He's the only natural pass catcher at TE, that's active. He's only 21, and it's only his first full week. I'll wait to pass judgement.

On another note, I'm liking the Buck Allen pick more and more. Sounds like he's been killing training camp so far.

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

Of course Buck Allen is good. I said before he is the long term RB here provided health. So.much more explosive than Taliferro. Taliferro can certainly carve out a role, but he's not a lead back.

#57 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

Of course Buck Allen is good. I said before he is the long term RB here provided health. So.much more explosive than Taliferro. Taliferro can certainly carve out a role, but he's not a lead back.

After we initially drafted him, I went back and did some research and came away feeling the same way. People said his only downfall is that he doesn't run with power for his size. If you pick up a lot of yards, I don't care about how you do it. You can watch the guy in college and see he has a lot of talent.

#58 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

I wonder if Matt Elam never plays another game in a Ravens uniform.
@gabefergy

#59 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Outside of Boller, Elam is the biggest  draft pick bust in Ravens history. Easily. Travis Taylor isnt close. Mark Clayton isnt close. Nobody else I can think of is close. 

#60 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

But with Pitta out and Trestman liking the 2TE set who gets those snaps. Boyle stay inline and move Gillmore split out more? Do they just go away from 2TE and use more 3 and 4 WR sets

Trestman didn't use 2 TEs much in Chicago. We'll probably see more of it here though because Ravens have more depth at the position. Maxx may not start, but my guess is he gets used like Pitta early on his career. 2 TE sets and obvious passing downs flexed as a slot receiver.
@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=