Photo

EDIT: NASCAR

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you consider NASCAR drivers athletes? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you consider NASCAR drivers athletes?

1. Yes (7 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. No (15 votes [68.18%])

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

If you say "no", you should have an Actual Reason... not one that's just a tautology or one based on a falsehood.

I think NASCAR driving seems more like a physical skill than an athletic skill. That's a pretty fine line, and definitely a semantical argument, but I associate NASCAR more with something like being a jet pilot. It definitely requires lots of skill, training, and there is a physical element to it, but it falls short of calling the participants athletes. NASCAR sort of seems more like a job that is very labor intensive, like a construction worker or shipbuilder or something like that.

I suppose my opinion is bordering on "I know it when I see it" territory, but isn't that basically what this entire question is about? It's not like we're all going to collectively agree on a definition here, which pretty means that it's undefined and open to personal interpretation.
  • Nuclear Dish likes this

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

Look, I flat out asked you to help me understand how I misperceive things. I can believe that I do, but I need help to be able to see it. And I very explicitly asked you for that... which you promptly blew off.

So, what were you doing just now? You just wanted to get in a jab and then refuse to discuss it? And you wanna make it sound like your behavior is my fault?

As for me "lecturing" you, the thing I said was that it's not good to include comments in every post about how you're gonna take your ball and go home. Which is what you seem to be doing again...

I pointed out what you did. You are smart enough to figure it out. Stop pretending otherwise.

Go show me where I said that in every post. Go for it. If you really want to break down the posts in that thread, we can do it in PM's and I'd love for you to show how you were justified in saying what you did.

I'm not taking my ball and going home here either, I just wanted to make one post giving you some hopefully helpful advice. You defended yourself instead of looked at how it could rub people the wrong way. I don't see that changing so I'm just not going to try anymore as my intent was to just leave it at one post and for you to take it however you like.

#63 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

NASCAR driver A.J. Allmendinger suspended for failing drug test. Wonder what drug he was on. Don't think it would be steroids.

http://sports.yahoo....91--nascar.html
@mrbeanage

#64 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

This isn't about the drivers, but apparently NASCAR fans are not only fans for life, but beyond that as well.

http://www.latimes.c...0,5815402.story

No, it's not Halloween yet, but it's easy to understand why you might think so after reading this: Prosecutors in Jackson, Mich., are considering charges against a woman who kept her dead friend inside their home for nearly two years, in part so she could continue to watch NASCAR races on TV with him.

#65 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:10 AM

http://espn.go.com/r...-new-york-state

Tony Stewart hit someone while racing on a dirt track after colliding with them on the prior lap.  I've seen some reports that the kid he hit died, but I haven't seen official confirmation yet.  Serious stuff here, it'll be interesting to see the details but we could be talking jail time.

#66 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

http://espn.go.com/r...-new-york-state

Tony Stewart hit someone while racing on a dirt track after colliding with them on the prior lap. I've seen some reports that the kid he hit died, but I haven't seen official confirmation yet. Serious stuff here, it'll be interesting to see the details but we could be talking jail time.

13WHAM ✔ @13WHAM
Follow
BREAKING: The driver who was hit by Tony Stewart's car has died, according to Ontario County Sheriff Phil Povero.

Yeah he could be arrested after watching the video. Apparently he wasn't though...talked to the police at the station and was allowed to leave.

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

He has a history of going way over the top...could he have murdered this guy?

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

He has a history of going way over the top...could he have murdered this guy?

Had the same thought. Don't know anything about racing... do know his history of thinking he's a bad ass, and seemingly always having a temper.   Saw the video ESPN showed... didn't look good.

#69 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

I refuse to believe he ran over a dude on purpose.

Sad stuff. I know it apparently happens a lot in racing but I'll be damned if I would ever step out onto a track with vehicles flying around at high speeds. It's insane. You saw that the one driver before he got hit had to swerve pretty late.

#70 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I saw some reports that said Stewart gunned his engine as he passed the guy, knowing it would fishtail his car into him, but I guess that would be hard to prove.

#71 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

I saw some reports that said Stewart gunned his engine as he passed the guy, knowing it would fishtail his car into him, but I guess that would be hard to prove.

I don't doubt he did that. I know there has been talk that he has made others crash before...but this is different.

He was going to race today and now he isn't...smart decision.

#72 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Unless there was something that happened earlier there really isn't any reason for Stewart to be pissed anyway. He wrecked the kid and didn't appear to suffer any damage or have it affect his race.

#73 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Just saw the video, doesn't appear that  he hit him on purpose..It happened so fast. It was less than a second after the first car swerved..

The way people are talking, they're acting like tony slowed down, and mashed his gas when he got close to the kid. Not even close to being like that. Just looks like a terrible accident. 

Nickle said it the best, there was no reason for Tony to be pissed. 

@beginthebegin71

#74 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

I haven't seen the video. I hope it was just an accident but when you hear that the guy was coming to confront Stewart and you know his history, it's not a stretch to wonder if this was on purpose.

#75 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Before I saw the tape, I was like uh oh. Was this an altercation gone wrong. After seeing it, I think it's pretty clear it was just an accident.

Kid jumped out of his car and ran onto the track with those things still going pretty damn fast.

#76 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

I haven't seen the video. I hope it was just an accident but when you hear that the guy was coming to confront Stewart and you know his history, it's not a stretch to wonder if this was on purpose.

Watch the video..The #45 car could have just as easy been the car that hit the kid, but he swerved in time...

There won't be any criminal charges filed I'd bet...

@beginthebegin71

#77 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Before I saw the tape, I was like uh oh. Was this am altercation gone wrong. After seeing it, I think it's pretty clear it was just an accident.

Kid jumped out of his car and ran onto the track with those cars still going pretty damn fast.

Exactly my thought. 

@beginthebegin71

#78 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Not to blame the victim, but what kind of idiot decides it's a good idea to walk into the path of race cars anyway?  I don't think Tony will wind up going to jail based off the tape.

• ChaosLex and Oriole85 like this

#79 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

You can definitely hear an engine rev loudly just as Stewart hits him, and his car goes sideways a little... that could just be Stewart trying to avoid him, though, or his car reacting to hitting the guy. Not sure how to explain the revving engine.

#80 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

You can't make this shit up.

@NASCAR: With heavy hearts, we turn our attention to today's #CheezIt355.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=