772 replies to this topic

#681 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:50 PM

Its also something that will never be overturned by replay because of the subjective nature of the call. Pretty sure that isnt even reviewable in MLB

#682 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:57 PM

I’m so mad I want to spit.

@fuzydunlop

#683 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 10:16 PM

That really was an atrocious call. I really tend to side with umps being one  but I doubt that home base ump was in the proper position to make that call on the runner. 1b had no play on the ball anyway

The home plate umpire has one job in that scenario: and that’s to observe whether or not the runner is out of the baseline. Once the play falls apart like that, he will always rule interference. It’s textbook. 

#684 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 June 2022 - 10:30 PM

Go Stanford....want to see UConn have to fly all the way across the country and get their ass kicked.

Would UConn host the super if Texas State wins this?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#685 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 10:34 PM

The home plate umpire has one job in that scenario: and that’s to observe whether or not the runner is out of the baseline. Once the play falls apart like that, he will always rule interference. It’s textbook. 

His first priority is a potential play at the plate. Why you see him position himself at 1b line extended. Watching for interference was secondary.  I can say with pretty much certainty he wasn't in a  good position to see interference. To call it on that play in particular was mind blowing.

#686 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2022 - 10:44 PM

Would UConn host the super if Texas State wins this?

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing Texas State would host since they were the #2 seed in their region while UConn was #3.

#687 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 June 2022 - 10:48 PM

So you have to pass the NCAA smell test to host a regional but not a super? Seems odd.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#688 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2022 - 11:22 PM

So you have to pass the NCAA smell test to host a regional but not a super? Seems odd.

I think they sometimes do neutral sites too. To “reward” Texas St as the higher seed maybe they could play it at UT’s baseball stadium since Austin is close to campus.

#689 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 07:09 AM

His first priority is a potential play at the plate. Why you see him position himself at 1b line extended. Watching for interference was secondary.  I can say with pretty much certainty he wasn't in a  good position to see interference. To call it on that play in particular was mind blowing.

That goes without saying, and when it’s apparent there will be no play at the plate (I mean, the catcher was jogging towards the play in front of him down the first base line), the umpire’s job is to watch the base runner.

Even Rob Vaughn said the ump got the call correct. 

Maryland’s pitching was toast last night. A bit more burnt than Connecticut’s. That 385 to CF and that ‘FieldTurf’ stuff really do create a pinball environment. 

#690 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 10:14 AM

That goes without saying, and when it’s apparent there will be no play at the plate (I mean, the catcher was jogging towards the play in front of him down the first base line), the umpire’s job is to watch the base runner.

Even Rob Vaughn said the ump got the call correct.

Maryland’s pitching was toast last night. A bit more burnt than Connecticut’s. That 385 to CF and that ‘FieldTurf’ stuff really do create a pinball environment.

Yeah Im not saying he had no view. Im saying it wasnt an ideal one. I think you can say he got it right and convinve yourself thats true by the letter of the law. The problem is that play rewards a defense that wasnt going to make the play. If the runner was a foot further to the right the exact same thing happens. If the pitcher fields the ball and plants he has a better chance of getting the runner at 1b. Instead he continues to let his momentum take him towards foul territory and throws the ball with no angle directly over top of the runner.

#691 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 June 2022 - 10:42 AM

Yeah Im not saying he had no view. Im saying it wasnt an ideal one. I think you can say he got it right and convinve yourself thats true by the letter of the law. The problem is that play rewards a defense that wasnt going to make the play. If the runner was a foot further to the right the exact same thing happens. If the pitcher fields the ball and plants he has a better chance of getting the runner at 1b. Instead he continues to let his momentum take him towards foul territory and throws the ball with no angle directly over top of the runner.

It’s a call that could be made on basically every play. It was called here because there was a collision. The issue is that the collision didn’t happen to the left of first base, it happened on the base because the first baseman was standing directly on top of it. Either the rule needs to be changed, umps need to be told not to call it, or don’t put the base in fair territory.

I assume that the only thing replay was looking at was whether Keister had crossed home plate before the collision.

To make that call at that point in the game is ridiculous to me. Let the players decide the outcome, don’t dictate it as an umpire. The pitcher’s throw didn’t even go to the first baseman, it was closer to the second baseman backing him up.

As a side note, catchers aren’t allowed to block the plate so why are first basemen apparently allowed to block first base?
@BSLZackKiesel

#692 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 11:59 AM

It’s a call that could be made on basically every play. It was called here because there was a collision. The issue is that the collision didn’t happen to the left of first base, it happened on the base because the first baseman was standing directly on top of it. Either the rule needs to be changed, umps need to be told not to call it, or don’t put the base in fair territory.

I assume that the only thing replay was looking at was whether Keister had crossed home plate before the collision.

To make that call at that point in the game is ridiculous to me. Let the players decide the outcome, don’t dictate it as an umpire. The pitcher’s throw didn’t even go to the first baseman, it was closer to the second baseman backing him up.

As a side note, catchers aren’t allowed to block the plate so why are first basemen apparently allowed to block first base?

Had Alleyne ran inside the baseline and collided with the first baseman who was atop the bag? The ump might’ve ruled obstruction, in which case he’d have been awarded second base. 

It’s Alleyne’s fault for not running inside the baselines. Again, this is baseball 101 stuff. 

#693 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 01:34 PM

I think it was a really bad call from watching the replay.  The rule isn't meant to be enforced if the batter-runner is a couple inches into fair territory immediately prior to reaching the base.  It's meant to be if their entire body is in the baseline and approaching the grass when you're only 50 feet up the line.  The runner's right foot was basically on the foul line with only a couple steps left to go.  

I can understand the opinion that it might be the correct letter of the law interpretation, but its still bad umpiring.  The two are absolutely not mutually exclusive.

• BSLZackKiesel and 1970 like this

#694 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 09:18 PM

I think it was a really bad call from watching the replay.  The rule isn't meant to be enforced if the batter-runner is a couple inches into fair territory immediately prior to reaching the base.  It's meant to be if their entire body is in the baseline and approaching the grass when you're only 50 feet up the line.  The runner's right foot was basically on the foul line with only a couple steps left to go.  

I can understand the opinion that it might be the correct letter of the law interpretation, but its still bad umpiring.  The two are absolutely not mutually exclusive.

If you watched the replay objectively and came away with a case of "bad umpiring," then that says more about your own objectivity than it does the umpire's.

#695 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:14 PM

CBS Sports: 2022 College World Series preview: SEC, Texas leads the eight-team field

https://www.cbssport...ght-team-field/

#696 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 07:55 AM

#697 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 08:33 AM

ESPN: How Oklahoma and Ole Miss wound up in a program-defining MCWS final series

https://www.espn.com...ws-final-series

#698 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:19 AM

ESPN: Men's College World Series: 'Special' night fuels Ole Miss over Oklahoma in finals opener

https://www.espn.com...a-finals-opener

#699 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:35 PM

Maryland has signed head coach Rob Vaughn to a contract extension through the 2027 season. Huge news for the program, as he’d been targeted for multiple high-profile openings across the country.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#700 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 03:36 PM

Maryland has signed head coach Rob Vaughn to a contract extension through the 2027 season. Huge news for the program, as he’d been targeted for multiple high-profile openings across the country.

Nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=