773 replies to this topic

#661 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:09 PM

Did they move the MLB draft back this year? I remember being able to see the draftees play in the college WS. Made it a point to watch Gausman pitch for LSU after the O’s drafted him like the day or two before.

In July for the 2nd or 3rd year now. Used to be in June

• Mike in STL likes this

#662 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:11 PM

Interference is a dead ball - so runners return to previous base. I need to see where the runner turned after he was out. Did he turn towards the infield or into foul territory?

Neither. He went down because the fat ass 1B was standing right on the bag and he ran into him.

#663 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:15 PM

Neither. He went down because the fat ass 1B was standing right on the bag and he ran into him.

Also, Alleyne beat the throw. “Interference” happened while he was already on the base.
@BSLZackKiesel

#664 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:19 PM

So apparently in baseball, or at least college baseball, all you need to do is get a giant 1B (maybe a scout team OT from the football team) and have him stand on the bag for every ground ball and you'll get the out for "interference" when the hitter eventually plows into him. Even better, no other baserunners will be allowed to advance. Who knew?

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLZackKiesel like this

#665 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:21 PM

Damn, between the umpire heist and that insurance run, that probably about does it.

Awesome weekend watching Terps Baseball. They got into my soul a little bit, I’ll be following next year.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#666 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:25 PM

Damn, between the umpire heist and that insurance run, that probably about does it.

Awesome weekend watching Terps Baseball. They got into my soul a little bit, I’ll be following next year.

More excitement in one weekend of MD baseball than the last number of Turdgeon years of MD basketball.

#667 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:26 PM

Disappointing that they appear unlikely to advance when hosting their first ever regional. But considering how long MD baseball was a complete non-entity until just a few years ago, it is nice seeing them make semi-regular trips to the postseason now. Hope to see them in a CWS someday.

#668 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:27 PM

Didn’t take much googling to learn that tonight’s home plate umpire, Jeff Head, is infamous across the country for being one of college baseball’s worst umpires. So we got college Angel Hernandez in the biggest game of the year.
@BSLZackKiesel

#669 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:28 PM

Didn’t take much googling to learn that tonight’s home plate umpire, Jeff Head, is infamous across the country for being one of college baseball’s worst umpires. So we got college Angel Hernandez in the biggest game of the year.

What I find more inexplicable is that replay didn't overrule him.

#670 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:29 PM

And this isn’t the first time he’s misapplied a rule: https://www.wholehog...win-over-aubur/
@BSLZackKiesel

#671 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:36 PM

Priorities for next season:

1. Keep Rob Vaughn in College Park by any means necessary.
2. Find a couple more reliable arms.
3. Put a restraining order on Jeff Head so he can’t work any Maryland games.
@BSLZackKiesel

#672 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:37 PM

Go Stanford....want to see UConn have to fly all the way across the country and get their ass kicked.

#673 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:39 PM

Hope they can keep Vaughn. Cant keep getting poached when their coach gets them to the TOurny. Happened with the last guy who went to Michigan

#674 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:40 PM

Priorities for next season:

1. Keep Rob Vaughn in College Park by any means necessary.
2. Find a couple more reliable arms.
3. Put a restraining order on Jeff Head so he can’t work any Maryland games.

What's the going NIL rate on that right now?

#675 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:41 PM

What's the going NIL rate on that right now?

More than $160, that’s for sure.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#676 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:44 PM

Hope they can keep Vaughn. Cant keep getting poached when their coach gets them to the TOurny. Happened with the last guy who went to Michigan

Manager before Vaughn was John Szefc, who went to Virginia Tech. Erik Bakich went to Michigan in 2013.
@BSLZackKiesel

#677 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Also, Alleyne beat the throw. “Interference” happened while he was already on the base.

Him beating the throw isn’t relevant. The rule was that interference occurred because he was running out of the base path. Had he been between the lines and ran into the 1B, or the fielder had to change his throw? It wouldn’t have mattered. This is really 101 stuff. 

NCAA 7-11-p AR 1:  "If the batter-runner is running illegally to first base and his being outside the lane alters the throw of a fielder, hinders or alters a fielder’s opportunity to field the throw, or the batter-runner is hit by the throw that has been made in an attempt to make a play, it shall be called interference and the batter-runner is to be called out."

#678 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

That really was an atrocious call. I really tend to side with umps being one  but I doubt that home base ump was in the proper position to make that call on the runner. 1b had no play on the ball anyway

#679 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:46 PM

Manager before Vaughn was John Szefc, who went to Virginia Tech. Erik Bakich went to Michigan in 2013.

Yeah got them mixed up

#680 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:48 PM

The HP ump has to get to 1b line extended and stay at home behind the plate in case the runner comes home. Ideally if you are watching for interference you get out in front of home and up the 1b line a bit to see the play clear. 100% he didnt have a very good view and its possible he barely saw it. To make that call is bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=