#1 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Am I the only one watching an inordinate amount of College Baseball these days?

I'm excited for the NCAA tourney selection tomorrow, and subsequent tournament...Anyone else?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@beginthebegin71

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,370 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Am I the only one watching an inordinate amount of College Baseball these days?

I'm excited for the NCAA tourney selection tomorrow, and subsequent tournament...Anyone else?

I watch here and there all season, thought it was awesome LSU didn't win the SEC title, I just had a fight with someone about it.
@JeremyMStrain

#3 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

I'm with you, but I've really been watching more lately..

The end of the Big Ten & Big Twelve tourneys were incredible finishes...
@beginthebegin71

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,370 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

I'm with you, but I've really been watching more lately..

The end of the Big Ten & Big Twelve tourneys were incredible finishes...

Yeah Miss St. stole the SEC and G. Tech stole the ACC, it's been really good baseball already.
@JeremyMStrain

#5 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yea, I wanted to watch the ACC Final, but we went to the O's game for little league day..Good times, despite the O's poor effort.
@beginthebegin71

#6 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

I'm a HUGE college baseball fan. Eat up the ACC tournament. Can't begin to tell you how infuritating it is to me that Carolina can't beat Miami, but pretty much everyone else can (well, not Wake).

The ACC is assured of 6 teams, including 5 hosts of regionals (FSU, UNC, UVA, NCSU, MIA). GT stole the auto-bid. Not it's a question of whether any others will make it - they have the RPI to get more in, especially a team like Wake, which helped itself by beating State in the tournament. Clemson should also get in. VT and BC are borderline cases at best.

Who do you think the 8 National Seeds will be when they come out today? We know the 16 regional hosts, so we know it's 8 out of those 16.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

Never really got into college baseball. Probably a large reason why was exposure(or lack of). In addition, Maryland never really fielded a strong team and my alma matter, Colorado doesn't even field a team. Nonetheless, it be pretty cool to get to Omaha one of these days.
@levineps

#8 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

Never really got into college baseball. Probably a large reason why was exposure(or lack of). In addition, Maryland never really fielded a strong team and my alma matter, Colorado doesn't even field a team. Nonetheless, it be pretty cool to get to Omaha one of these days.

I read an awesome book about the 2008 College World Series, "The Road to Omaha" by Ryan McGee, and that really got me into it.. I recommend it if anyone is ever looking for a great Baseball book.. Many of the featured players in the book are now Major Leaguers, Buster Posey being the biggest.
@beginthebegin71

#9 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

I'm a HUGE college baseball fan. Eat up the ACC tournament. Can't begin to tell you how infuritating it is to me that Carolina can't beat Miami, but pretty much everyone else can (well, not Wake).

The ACC is assured of 6 teams, including 5 hosts of regionals (FSU, UNC, UVA, NCSU, MIA). GT stole the auto-bid. Not it's a question of whether any others will make it - they have the RPI to get more in, especially a team like Wake, which helped itself by beating State in the tournament. VT and BC are borderline cases at best.

Who do you think the 8 National Seeds will be when they come out today? We know the 16 regional hosts, so we know it's 8 out of those 16.

2 hours until the selection show..Can't wait!!
@beginthebegin71

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

I read an awesome book about the 2008 College World Series, "The Road to Omaha" by Ryan McGee, and that really got me into it.. I recommend it if anyone is ever looking for a great Baseball book.. Many of the featured players in the book are now Major Leaguers, Buster Posey being the biggest.

Is Ryan McGee the same one who works NASCAR for ESPN? My brother is an ASU grad, so I'll watch when there in it as well as the Finals, and not conflicting with the O's.
@levineps

#11 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

My brother is an ASU grad, so I'll watch when there in it

Yeah, so, not this year, I guess. :D

-Walter Sobchak

#12 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

2 hours until the selection show..Can't wait!!

I am thrilled with Carolina's bracket. Couldn't have asked for much better.

East Carolina is an OK team with a good RPI, but they are no guarantee to beat St. John's, and even if they do, it's at Boshamer, so I am not all that concerned. Getting Cornell and St. John's as the 3 and 4 was also quite a nice draw for us.

And then to get the winner of the Tucson bracket in our Super Regional was even better. First of all, whoever it is will have a lot of travel to get to Chapel Hill. And second, if it's Arizona coming out of there, they don't really worry me all that much. I think we're a significantly better team than they are.

In fact, there's really no one in that regional that concerns me much. New Mexico St? Louisville? Missouri? We could have gotten the Houston regional as our Super Regional pair, and that would have concerned me (with RIce and Arkansas). Or even the Coral Gables regional and been stuck with another game against Miami, who is our Kryptonite.

I can smell a 6th CWS appearance in the last 7 years!

-Walter Sobchak

#13 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

AWFUL day for ACC baseball yesterday. 3 teams lost on walk-off hits, and another got trounced for the second straight game and was therefore eliminated.

UNC was up 4-2 in the bottom of the 9th with their 1st team All-American closer Michael Morin on the mound, but he allowed a 1-out 3-run HR to send Carolina to the dreaded losers bracket. Now UNC needs to beat East Carolina in the day game today, then sweep St. John's 2 games (tonight and tomorrow) to advance.

Meanwhile, Clemson was also ahead 4-2, but they gave up one in the 8th, one in the 9th, and lost in the bottom of the 12th to South Carolina, who has now won 18 straight postseason games, an NCAA record.

NC State was ahead 8-3 in the bottom of the 8th, and had the inning over with only one run in, but a dropped third strike opened the door for Vanderbilt, and they rallied to tie it. Then Vandy won in the bottom of the 9th to send the Pack to the losers bracker.

Miami had a dreadful tournament, getting blasted first on Friday by Stony Brook, then by MIssouri St. yesterday. They got outscored 24-4 in the two games, and are the first of the 16 #1 seeds to be eliminated.

That leaves only Florida St. at 2-0 and Virginia (who got rained out on Friday) at 1-0, as the only ACC teams still in the winners bracket of their regional.

-Walter Sobchak

#14 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Aaaand, just like that, it's over for the Diamond Heels...

Damn.
@beginthebegin71

#15 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

I'm not sure how it happened, but the Heels saved their worst baseball of the entire season for this weekend.

When you are dropping 3rd out infield popups, you might as well pack it in.

Credit to St. John's, but if you added up the strength of all their hits from yesterday, you still might not get the ball out of a paper bag. Strange hops, little bloopers, and mental errors by Carolina were enough to drive me crazy.

Oh, and the constant overmanaging by Mike Fox. The man can recruit with anyone in the world, but he has no business pulling the constant pitching changes and lineup tinkering. I almost wish we could hand over the in-game job to someone else, leaving Fox to bring in some more great talents.

-Walter Sobchak

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Super Regionals

NCST
Florida

South Carolina
Oklahoma

Oregon
Kent State

Baylor
Arkansas

UCLA (up 1)
TCU

LSU (up 1)
Stony Brook

Arizona (up 1)
St. John's

Florida State (up 1)
Stanford

#17 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

I'm actually rooting against LSU now that Gausman has pitched and it's 1-1. I prefer he not waste his innings at the college level. Let him be done and sign already. Maybe he can get in a few starts at Frederick before the season's over.

And besides, the CWS is a breeding ground for overworking pitchers. I really don't care to see LSU pull the same crap they did with Ben McDonald back in the day. I'm still convinced McDonald was never 100% of what we all hoped because LSU burned him out over a few days in June.

-Walter Sobchak

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'm actually rooting against LSU now that Gausman has pitched and it's 1-1. I prefer he not waste his innings at the college level. Let him be done and sign already. Maybe he can get in a few starts at Frederick before the season's over.

And besides, the CWS is a breeding ground for overworking pitchers. I really don't care to see LSU pull the same crap they did with Ben McDonald back in the day. I'm still convinced McDonald was never 100% of what we all hoped because LSU burned him out over a few days in June.

That might have played a role but I don't think a "few days" in June completely killed his long-term potential. By most accounts, Alan Dunn did a terrific job with Gausman this year and really increased his value.

Personally I had mixed feelings on LSU. On one-hand I wanted to see Gausman getting the ultimate prize. On the otherhand, I don't like the idea of hoping nothing bad happens to him. I noticed many Orioles fans were selfishly rooting against LSU.
@levineps

#19 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

Does anyone realize the magnitude of Stony Brook making it to the CWS?! Although it's not an exact science, they were, by virtue of being the #4 seed in Miami's bracket, basically considered the 56th overall team out of 64.

That's the equivalent of a #14 seed making it to the Elite 8 in basketball. The lowest seed to ever reach the Elite 8 in the NCAA basketball tournament was #12 Missouri in 2002.

The fact that Stony Brook has beaten Miami (essentially a 3-seed), Central Florida (essentially a 6-seed), and LSU (essentially a 2-seed) is incredible. They now start the CWS against #2 national seed UCLA.

I am all about rooting for the underdog in this one!

-Walter Sobchak

#20 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

South Carolina going for three in a row..

Of course next year, they'll add Ryan Ripken, so they're certain to win again after that!!

Very cool about Stony Brook, it really is an amazing story, like Dish said.
@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=