332 replies to this topic

#321 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 06:28 PM

I think Means needs another start in the minors.

Yeah I'd want one more for build up. Performance is secondary but if he's limited to 80 pitches right now that's not really enough to start. Would wanna see him go 90 in the minors.

#322 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,754 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 April 2024 - 07:01 PM

I'm not sure what to make of Means.  I've been a huge fan of how he's changed the trajectory of his career and if the Orioles had a bigger commitment to hi, I have no issues with it, but...

...you fight from the foxhole you're in.  I'm ok with him taking whatever reasonable time he needs and come back strong, but I lack confidence right now and I hope he makes this comment look dumb.

I couldn't find another (winter) thread to put this so I'll throw a blurb in here, now...but EVERYONE wanted Luzardo over the winter.  I'm not usually a guy to promote trades early in the season, but Luzardo has been bad so far and the Marlins are busy ending their season (6-19) before we hit the 1st of May.  There's a number of ways to play with them and money could now be a tool for the Orioles.

I'm not running away from Means coming back and being good, but would keep an eye on Luzardo.

#323 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 April 2024 - 09:17 PM

I'm not sure what to make of Means. I've been a huge fan of how he's changed the trajectory of his career and if the Orioles had a bigger commitment to hi, I have no issues with it, but...

...you fight from the foxhole you're in. I'm ok with him taking whatever reasonable time he needs and come back strong, but I lack confidence right now and I hope he makes this comment look dumb.

I couldn't find another (winter) thread to put this so I'll throw a blurb in here, now...but EVERYONE wanted Luzardo over the winter. I'm not usually a guy to promote trades early in the season, but Luzardo has been bad so far and the Marlins are busy ending their season (6-19) before we hit the 1st of May. There's a number of ways to play with them and money could now be a tool for the Orioles.

I'm not running away from Means coming back and being good, but would keep an eye on Luzardo.

Foxhole reference!!
  • DuffMan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#324 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 09:47 PM

Foxhole reference!!

Im a fan of both "foxhole" users equally

#325 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 11:04 PM

30 days is somewhat of an arbitrary deadline. The team can extend it if Means agrees. I don't care about production at all early in the rehab but I would like to see him pitch decently deep twice before getting called back. 79 pitches is fine, so that's one, and he did pitch decently. But gotta do it one more time at a minimum for me. At this point, I'd prefer to see two more starts out of him before recalling him, but if he can go 85-90 pitches with adequate results next time then maybe you just get him up here.

I heard that 30 days meant 30 days and if it's extended it can only be extended to 60 days.

#326 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 06:48 AM

I heard that 30 days meant 30 days and if it's extended it can only be extended to 60 days.

I'll try to check.  Maybe the newest CBA changed things and I hadn't caught up.  Or maybe I just had it wrong.

#327 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:39 AM

I'm not sure what to make of Means.  I've been a huge fan of how he's changed the trajectory of his career and if the Orioles had a bigger commitment to hi, I have no issues with it, but...

...you fight from the foxhole you're in.  I'm ok with him taking whatever reasonable time he needs and come back strong, but I lack confidence right now and I hope he makes this comment look dumb.

I couldn't find another (winter) thread to put this so I'll throw a blurb in here, now...but EVERYONE wanted Luzardo over the winter.  I'm not usually a guy to promote trades early in the season, but Luzardo has been bad so far and the Marlins are busy ending their season (6-19) before we hit the 1st of May.  There's a number of ways to play with them and money could now be a tool for the Orioles.

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman
Jesus Luzardo is scratched today and will undergo testing for elbow discomfort, Marlins announce
10:14 AM · Apr 26, 2024

#328 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:48 AM

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman
Jesus Luzardo is scratched today and will undergo testing for elbow discomfort, Marlins announce

And another one's gone

another ones gone

another one bites the dust

#329 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 02:02 PM

The team said Means would start for Norfolk Sunday. I agree with those who said he should get another rehab start.

#330 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:38 PM

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

Nothing serious, shouldn’t miss much time.

#331 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:46 PM

Nevertheless, it's never good when you start seeing elbow discomfort.

#332 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,754 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:45 PM

Nevertheless, it's never good when you start seeing elbow discomfort.

I'll agree you always have to do your homework and if the homework shows something we (publicly) can't see, that's fine.

...but everyone wants to buy high.  Everyone wanted Luzardo in the offseason and now the price is a fraction of what it was.  He's not a give away and yeah, do your homework and ok, maybe we let Means pitch and see where everyone is, but if you want to get the guy when he's most available, he's most available now.

Hopefully Means comes back ok and this is a Winter discussion, but opportunity presents itself when it presents itself.

#333 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 April 2024 - 01:52 PM

Means killed it today at Norfolk. He's ready!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=