The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:17 AM

In the other thread, I said...

I still remember the UNC/Georgetown game in 2007, and I don't wish those emotions on anyone. People say it's just a game, and it is, but...

...this is so much worse.

My boss is a Villanova alum, too.

Next to Evans/Cundiff, this is the worst game I've ever experienced, and there's a huge gap from #2 to #3.

I went to the local alumni bar, and after the game, I walked to my car, let out a huge scream, and just sat there for what seemed like two hours.

#2662 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:26 AM

That Michigan State buzzer beater was bad enough... and that wasn't National Championship time.

OTOH, while no loss is 'fun'... and certainly not when you are that close...   Carolina is Carolina. They can console themselves with the past titles, be proud they got there again, and confident they will have future runs as well.

Big difference in the MD game though is that MD was winning.  Carolina at best was going to OT.

Now obviously the stakes were much much higher here so it still hurts, but there's a big difference in losing a buzzer beater when you're winning as opposed to being tied.

#2663 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

F--- Carolina.

Welcome to humanity where life generally sucks.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2664 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:52 AM

As far as I'm corncened, you guys are still the kings of college basketball. Duke, Kansas, UCLA, and Kentucky are only temporary final bosses for their time.

Now go watch some Joey Rickard highlights.

Its a good debate. I think it's still Kentucky at #1.  UNC #2. Kansas doesnt have enough titles. UCLA hasn't done enough over the last 40 years. Duke has only done it the last 30 years. Kentucky and UNC have history, prestige, and have remained relevant over decades. 

#2665 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

Going back to the Mich St upset I dont think this was ever posted though discussed. 4 games had bigger point spread upsets. Michigan St was a 16.5 point favorite. 

2012-Norfolk St over Missouri  +21.5

1993-Santa Clara over Arizona  +19.5

1997- Coppin St over South Carolina 18.5

2001- Hampton over Iowa St 17.5

• SBTarheel likes this

#2666 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

Its a good debate. I think it's still Kentucky at #1.  UNC #2. Kansas doesnt have enough titles. UCLA hasn't done enough over the last 40 years. Duke has only done it the last 30 years. Kentucky and UNC have history, prestige, and have remained relevant over decades. 

I still think it's inexcusable that UCLA doesn't have a top recruiting class every year.

They're freaking UCLA.  Beautiful campus, gorgeous women, history, great school, in southern California, in a recruiting hot bed.

What in the world are they doing on the recruiting path?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2667 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

Going back to the Mich St upset I dont think this was ever posted though discussed. 4 games had bigger point spread upsets. Michigan St was a 16.5 point favorite. 

Yea, guess I was wrong there. 

Good call. 

@beginthebegin71

#2668 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

So...that's pretty bad defense by Carolina on that possession, right?  How do you let Kris Jenkins get that open of a look?  He's only shooting about 50% from 3 for the tournament.  He's completely uncovered the entire possession.

#2669 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:38 AM

So...that's pretty bad defense by Carolina on that possession, right?  How do you let Kris Jenkins get that open of a look?  He's only shooting about 50% from 3 for the tournament.  He's completely uncovered the entire possession.

Yea, definitely one of the elephants in the room, no one was guarding the inbound play. Brice was kind of standing in an imaginary zone. 

They were guarding spots, not players. 

That being said, Villanova made a play, Heels didn't. 

Hat tip. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#2670 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

To be fair though, Archie was shooting I think 60-70% from 3, don't remember exactly but it's in the 60s. UNC had had two guys running with him excpecting him to take it. When Archie selflessly passed it back to Jenkins, which is a rare late game high Bball IQ move, he screened Hicks for a a brief moment. Without that...if Archie shoots that ball, or doesn't stay in Hicks' way, Jenkins shot is probably blocked.

I'd credit Nova and Archie for the play more than Carolina having a defensive lapse. Just a great play.
@BSLMikeRandall

#2671 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

I realize Arcidiacono is the primary option there that you try to cover, especially the way the game had gone, but it's not like Jenkins is the 5th option on the court.  He's the second most likely to be taking that shot and he was uncovered the entire possession.  And, it's not like Jenkins got open because his man switched on the screen, Hicks was guarding Echefu, there was literally nobody on the court who's was assigned to check Jenkins.  You gotta at least pick him up once he gets within 30 feet or so.  Flying at him at the buzzer isn't defense, it's just an attempted distraction, I don't think they had any chance of blocking that shot given how far away the defense was when Jenkins caught it and how quickly he can release the ball.  And even if Hicks made a great play and was able to block it, he was only supposed to be there to switch on the screen to slow Arcidiacono down, there was still nobody assigned to cover Jenkins the entire play.

Not trying to rub it in for our Carolina fans, but I'd be sick over that defensive play for a long time.  He's their second leading scorer and their biggest 3-point threat.  Someone has to at least be accounting for him when he comes across halfcourt, instead of standing near the baseline doubling someone else.  Phil Booth is also pretty much uncovered at the end on a curl, would've had a decent look himself if Jenkins wasn't wide open.  It's one of the worst defensive sets at the end of the game I can recall seeing.

#2672 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

Phil Booth's Father played for that team, ironically enough.

@beginthebegin71

#2673 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

I have no problem with what they did. I was expecting them to drive and try to draw a foul.

We're talking an NBA 3 here. But hey, they made it. Hats off.

#2674 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:19 PM

Jenkins trailed on the play and Archie almost deked, then turned around and tossed it to his side to Jenkins. He was wide open, because they thought Archie was the guy, based on how the play look up until that point. It was a great play call, and executed perfectly. Not totally excusing the lack of someone guarding him the entire play, of course, but it was a really good play call IMO.

#2675 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:36 PM

Jenkins trailed on the play and Archie almost deked, then turned around and tossed it to his side to Jenkins. He was wide open, because they thought Archie was the guy, based on how the play look up until that point. It was a great play call, and executed perfectly. Not totally excusing the lack of someone guarding him the entire play, of course, but it was a really good play call IMO.

Yea, Wright's a really good coach, despite a few early tourney losses. His teams usually execute really well. 

@beginthebegin71

#2676 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:37 PM

It was really, really well done.

#2677 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

Maybe I misread what Archie said, but what I got from it was that the way it turned out wasn't a called play... he just heard Jenkins yelling to him from behind that he was open... so he flipped it to him...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2678 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

Maybe I misread what Archie said, but what I got from it was that the way it turned out wasn't a called play... he just heard Jenkins yelling to him from behind that he was open... so he flipped it to him...

That is such a ballsy move.  If he misses that shot...

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#2679 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

Arch really made the play.

Awesome that Nova cancelled classes today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=