Photo

Would you pay Josh Hamilton 20+ million a year?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Olney was told by an exec that he could see the Orioles going after him.

#2 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

I just read that. I don't think it would get to that point, but I think the Orioles should go after him. Why the hell not. It's a lot of money and I don't know where he would play, but he would hit a ton of homeruns onto Eutaw Street.
@mrbeanage

#3 Larry Sheets

Larry Sheets
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Depending on the years of the deal I guess. 20 million is alot of money to throw around, and you would have to add some sort of a relapse clause I would think. Does 5/85 get it done? Probably not, but I wouldnt go higher than 90 million over 5 years.

#4 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

He's a better offensive talent than Teix and we were willing to go higher than $20 for him. So, if his defense is adequate or better, then absolutely YES.

#5 Larry Sheets

Larry Sheets
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

He's a better offensive talent than Teix and we were willing to go higher than $20 for him. So, if his defense is adequate or better, then absolutely YES.

Tex is also a 1b, somthing we desperately lack. Hamilton is a CF, who if he signs here, is moving either him or Jones to LF, so while it is a need, its not as big of a need as a 1b was/is.

#6 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

I would pay him 5 years for $90 million...front-end load it possibly and put a clause in there saying if he falls back into the sauce, the meth, the nose candy, or whatever else he used to do, his contract can be voided by the organization upon a 2nd situation...give him a "get out of jail free card" so to speak. Offer him $18mil a year, put him in left field and help him preserve his physical health, and then put him at 1B...if I could get Hamilton's bat in the lineup, I'd put Showalter out there on 1B as long as he can play a solid defense...Or anyone for that matter. A big bat 1B would not be the biggest worry at that point.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#7 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

IMO, one of the reasons I think the Orioles offered Teix more money was because he was from the MD area. I think it might've hurt the fanbase if the Orioles didn't at least try to make Teix a respectable offer. I know there were other reasons as well as to why the Orioles went after him, including the need for a first basemen.
@mrbeanage

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

I would do it but the years would have to be short.

I'm sorry, I'm sure he's a great person and, absent the addictive personality, he'd be worth every cent, but I just can't shake the fact that he's one bender away from throwing his career down the drain.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

I would do it but the years would have to be short.

I'm sorry, I'm sure he's a great person and, absent the addictive personality, he'd be worth every cent, but I just can't shake the fact that he's one bender away from throwing his career down the drain.

I don't think his addiction is an issue from a getting value standpoint. I'm sure no club is going to offer a $100m+ deal without clauses to address that. However, it would still set you back in that he's the MOO we've been wanting for awhile and if he was to relapse, we'd be back hunting for that elusive animal.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

I'd have to keep it to a 4 year deal or less due to not only his addiction issues, but his age, as he will be in his age 32 season next year. A 4/90 deal may be something I'd do, but it probably won't be enough.

I'd also imagine you can have some language in the contract to protect the team if he relapses.

#11 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

I would imagine that his agent will look for a LONG term contract, not 4 or even 5 years. I'm not sure what the market would be for him. New York would seem like a crazy destination for him but from a pure baseball point, I could see them getting involved. I would strongly consider a 4-5 year type deal, although I think we're better off going for Hamels or Greinke.

#12 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'd have to keep it to a 4 year deal or less due to not only his addiction issues, but his age, as he will be in his age 32 season next year. A 4/90 deal may be something I'd do, but it probably won't be enough.

I'd also imagine you can have some language in the contract to protect the team if he relapses.

I don't think 4 years gets it done...I think 5 years is the minimum and he's probably going to look at 6 years and get himself to 40. I don't think he's worth 5 or 6 years.
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,647 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

He is a great player, but the bagage and injuries are too much for me. I would say no and I have a strong feeling Angelos would also.

The Orioles are not like the Yankees or Red Sox. They do not have unlimited resources. If they were to spend 20 million on Hamilton it would cause cut backs and restrictions elsewhere. Also given his history you would have to assume significant down time during the contract.
@mikeghg

#14 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

I'd rather give that money to Cole Hamels. I certainly wont be upset if they do sign Hamilton though. He's probably the best hitter in the league and doesn't have the miles on him like a normal 31 year old because of his addiction
@dandrews66

#15 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

I would imagine that his agent will look for a LONG term contract, not 4 or even 5 years. I'm not sure what the market would be for him. New York would seem like a crazy destination for him but from a pure baseball point, I could see them getting involved. I would strongly consider a 4-5 year type deal, although I think we're better off going for Hamels or Greinke.

Fair or not, with his issues I doubt there's a team that gives him more than 4 years regardless of what his agent is looking for. Not just because of the possibility of a relapse, but also because of the toll they have taken on his body and his age.

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

#16 Slappy

Slappy
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

He is a great player, but the bagage and injuries are too much for me. I would say no and I have a strong feeling Angelos would also.

The Orioles are not like the Yankees or Red Sox. They do not have unlimited resources. If they were to spend 20 million on Hamilton it would cause cut backs and restrictions elsewhere. Also given his history you would have to assume significant down time during the contract.

Hopefully those would involve not picking up middle relievers on 3/15 types of deals. :D

Good point on the injury history though. Definitely have to approach this as buying a 120-130 game player.

I'd love to see it happen, although anything more than 5 years is a bad idea. I don't know why more GMs don't structure front-loaded contracts for guys like Hamilton, who will almost certainly give you bang for the buck in the early years. It will all depend on what the market offers up and which teams are more willing to blow the bank on him.
The world's most concise Baltimore Orioles Twitter feed - @OneWordBird

#17 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

I think there's an aspect to signing Hamilton that people are forgetting..

First and foremost, he'll need to sign with a team that would welcome him in the clubhouse and what he brings to it - which is two things.

1) His full-time chaperone. This was an issue in the Cincinnati club house because some players didn't like how they had to also include that extra person on the team, so-to-speak. This isn't an issue in Texas and was welcomed quite heartily.

Any club he goes to will have to do the same. For me personally I don't see it as a problem - it's essentially the same thing as a player going to see the team shrink regularly.

2) Religion. Josh believes it is his duty as a Christian to spread his faith whereever he goes. This could be an issue in many different clubhouses, i.e. New York, Boston.

The reason it's not an issue in Texas is because it's kind of part of the bible belt and the Christian faith is the most widely accepted one here (I live in TX). It doesn't rub people the wrong way when he (Josh) tries to talk to his teammates very openly about his faith. Personally, I don't care as long as he's respectful of another player or person's right to forgo religion in general or the Christian faith.

The biggest question we should concern ourselves with, even more so than his age or health, is how will the Orioles clubhouse respond to that part of Josh's personality?

I'd pay the guy and I'd go as far as to give him a vesting option for a 5th and 6th year based on playing time, ab's, or whatever. But he brings a lot more to a clubhouse than just his immeasurable talent.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'd be much more concerned with # of years than amount in his case. I think he's going to be a FORCE in the AL for at least 4 more years with the bat, and quite possibly a little longer since he took time off from the game and doesn't have as much wear and tear. I'd give him 4/80 in a second. Don't think he settles for that though.
@JeremyMStrain

#19 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

These are two interesting articles written about Josh and what's going on in regards to his upcoming free agency:

http://www.star-tele...ut-to-save.html

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-158158595.html

#20 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

I'd be much more concerned with # of years than amount in his case. I think he's going to be a FORCE in the AL for at least 4 more years with the bat, and quite possibly a little longer since he took time off from the game and doesn't have as much wear and tear. I'd give him 4/80 in a second. Don't think he settles for that though.

I don't think so either - he's shooting for squeezing the most he can possibly get out of this contract. Especially since it will be the last big one for him when you consider his age.

It'll probably take a 4/90, if not a 4/100, to get him to sign on the dotted line IF there are other offers comparable to that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=