9 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

I saw this on Twitter. In fact, I brought up Colon's name a few weeks ago in another thread.

What do you think?
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

How will he hold up as the season goes on?

His velocity is way down this year compared to last year.

The K's are way down. He has a relatively high HR rate in Oakland and last year, pitching for NY, it was higher...So, you would expect him to give up his fair share of homers. He is also missing bats at a rate that would be the worse of his career.

What he is doing is not walking anyone and throwing strikes. His str% this year is 70%. He has always been a strike thrower but the problem is, what if he can't sustain the pace he is at now? He is well above his career average and while he has been as high as 68 and 69% before, its been a while since he did that.

Let's say his str% goes down to 66-67%..That is still excellent but that will lead to more walks and the homers and balls put in play(because he isn't missing bats) will become more problematic.

All in all, I think you pass on Colon unless you can have him for 2 so so prospects...and I bet some team would pay more than that for him.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

How will he hold up as the season goes on?

His velocity is way down this year compared to last year.

The K's are way down. He has a relatively high HR rate in Oakland and last year, pitching for NY, it was higher...So, you would expect him to give up his fair share of homers. He is also missing bats at a rate that would be the worse of his career.

What he is doing is not walking anyone and throwing strikes. His str% this year is 70%. He has always been a strike thrower but the problem is, what if he can't sustain the pace he is at now? He is well above his career average and while he has been as high as 68 and 69% before, its been a while since he did that.

Let's say his str% goes down to 66-67%..That is still excellent but that will lead to more walks and the homers and balls put in play(because he isn't missing bats) will become more problematic.

All in all, I think you pass on Colon unless you can have him for 2 so so prospects...and I bet some team would pay more than that for him.

Exactly how I feel about Colon. He is pitching in one of the 2 or 3 best ballparks for a pitcher. You have to feel that moving to Camden Yards would not be a good thing for Colons performance. Pass...there are better guys to pursue.
@mikeghg

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Bartolo Colon?

I guess if he is still pitching well at the deadline and Oakland will give him up for cheap, while the Orioles are still sticking close while someone struggles in the rotation, he might be someone to think about.

While it is good to be having conversations about who we can acquire at the deadline instead of who we can trade away, we are still too far out to seriously consider trade candidates.

It does feel good, though.

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

I agree with the previous posters.

If he can be had cheaply I'd consider it, but otherwise I'll pass. At least for now. My position on all trade targets remains wait and see and how the team and the targets do going forward.

Solid FIP of 3.92, but the park helps in the HR department. He does pitch pretty deep into games with over 6.1 innings per start. So he's ok to have as a #4 as he's basically a league avgerage pitcher (102 ERA+, same ERA as FIP) who will give you solid innings.

#6 fieromatt

fieromatt
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Maybe if Oakland will take Tejada for the sentimental value and cash... Otherwise I'd say hold off until the 11th hour on the trade deadline where we can really evaluate any odds at a playoff push. Wouldn't rule him out even with the decreased K's, pitching in Oakland etc. He was solid for the Yankees last year and I'd much prefer him over Hunter so Tommy can pitch in the BP.

FWIW I think the O's should consider adding any of Colon, Liriano, W. Rodriguez, Volquez and Dempster if they're in this spot atop the AL East come July 31. We're just still too early and too unproven to start making trades. It'll be fun to keep an eye on, would love to see the Orioles in position to acquire a "hired gun" of sorts.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@matt_perison

#7 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

If it's the trade deadline and the Orioles have a 3-4 game lead, but have yet to solve their rotation issues, then yes. Otherwise, I'd probably pass.

#8 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

No way do you deal with Oakland to get Colon. This is exactly what Oakland wants teams to do. They go out and get a name brand player of years past, who is playing well again, and they will want to flip him for more prospects you care to get rid of. Colon is a 2-3 month solution at best. The Orioles shouldn't rent for 2 months and give up 5 to 8 years of production. The Giants did that last season by sending Zack Wheeler to NY for Carlos Beltran. How'd that work out for them?
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

No way do you deal with Oakland to get Colon. This is exactly what Oakland wants teams to do. They go out and get a name brand player of years past, who is playing well again, and they will want to flip him for more prospects you care to get rid of. Colon is a 2-3 month solution at best. The Orioles shouldn't rent for 2 months and give up 5 to 8 years of production. The Giants did that last season by sending Zack Wheeler to NY for Carlos Beltran. How'd that work out for them?

On the one hand, you're right. You don't give up real value for a rental player.

On the other hand, flags fly forever. If you truly believe you can make a run and this player can make you better, even if you don't give away the farm you still consider offering a few livestock.

#10 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Pitchers rumored to be available
J Saunders
M Garza
R Dempster
B Colon
J Guthrie
F Liriano