#121 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, I don't doubt that there are  people who might be intimidated. I get it, I once was nervous about being called an idiot on a message board. Its intimidating anywhere or any place new.  Ultimately though, you either grow thicker skin and confidence in yourself or you sit on the sideline. I don't think the lack of growth has anything to do with our posting styles. 

Idiot.

Definitely agree with this. 

if some newbie would have come into the College Hoops thread last night with me throwing F bombs at Nickle, and rob and ricker going at it a bit, it's unlikely they'd have thrown their 2 cents in. 

now it was over quickly, and we've moved on. But I doubt said newbie would even return to that thread to check it out. 

I work in a small office, and every July we hire 3-4 new guys to get Football business. They can't believe some of the stuff that goes on, inside jokes, busting each others balls daily...etc. I can see it being intimidating for sure, like "McNulty" said about his ship. 

My name is Blake, if you prefer.

@fuzydunlop

#122 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

Idiot.

I'd rather picture Jimmy McNulty on a ship drinking and banging Milligan's mom.

Thanks for ruining that for me, "Blake".

• You Play to Win the Game, Pedro Cerrano, DJ MC and 3 others like this
@beginthebegin71

#123 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

We've got about 500 registered posters. 100-120 are active monthly. At a minimum, I think it is fairly reasonable to think that 20 of the 380-400 other posters would have been regular posters here, and are not for whatever reason.

I know some of them are not because of the personal attacks. Others are not because of me, and that's my responsibility. Some of these types are active on Twitter (or other places) talking sports. Could be discussions they could be having here.

Beyond any of those concerns (or some potential sponsors being uncomfortable with some language)....  my bigger point is that I don't think debates have to become personal. You should be able to debate an issue, even get heated about things without that.  (Different when said in jest vs when it's not... and that difference is clear.)

I look at it like this and I think most probably do to some extent. Its rarely personal insults. We know each other as posters, but we dont know each other as real people. I think you have to make that distinction. The only time I've ever got offended is when I feel like someone who doesn't know me personally is attacking me as a real person and not my message board persona. We all have a message board persona to some degree.  

#124 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

I think if I wanted to start a good 'ole fight with a majority of BSL all I'd have to do is give my opinion of The Arcade Fire.  If I did that I have little doubt most of you would fly out here to drown me in the Pacific.

Wait, what's your opinion of Arcade Fire?

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#125 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

Some people do. For others it scares them off.

Maybe...but intelligent talk scares people off too. We could name a boatload of things that scare people off....things you, me and everyone else does.

OH had and likely still does have that drama and they have a huge audience.

It's like when the Os or Ravens are losing, the threads are longer..why? Because people tend to discuss the bad more than the good.

When we all left OH, the comment was made that the board was better.

No it wasn't...it was way worse but it was more civil an you know why? Because the Orioles were winning and people were in a better mood.

But the content is worse...way worse.

#126 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

Wait, what's your opinion of Arcade Fire?

They suck...not as awful as the Beatles though.

#127 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

Maybe...but intelligent talk scares people off too. We could name a boatload of things that scare people off....things you, me and everyone else does.

OH had and likely still does have that drama and they have a huge audience.

It's like when the Os or Ravens are losing, the threads are longer..why? Because people tend to discuss the bad more than the good.

When we all left OH, the comment was made that the board was better.

No it wasn't...it was way worse but it was more civil an you know why? Because the Orioles were winning and people were in a better mood.

But the content is worse...way worse.

Well...  we we are not going to stop talking intelligently.

We can avoid personal attacks.

#128 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

Well, at least it's not Chad...

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#129 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,711 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

Well, at least it's not Chad...

Ok I'll admit. This made me lol.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#130 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:00 PM

I mean seriously, does anybody really get butthurt around here when Rob inevitably calls you an idiot. 

Of course not... but that's not the problem... the problem is when he does that again and again, and you eventually call him on it... then he gets one... which just proves he's got a tender (back)side... at which point Stoner comes running in to rescue him, when what he should do is just hand him a jar of vaseline   ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#131 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

Of course not... but that's not the problem... the problem is when he does that again and again, and you eventually call him on it... then he gets one... which just proves he's got a tender (back)side... at which point Stoner comes running in to rescue him, when what he should do is just hand him a jar of vaseline   :wink:

Now, what should I think about this?  How is this anything but you provoking Rob?  He will inevitably see this, and respond in-kind... you will be pissed, he will be pissed, and I'll be ticked as well.

#132 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

Now, what should I think about this?  How is this anything but you provoking Rob?  He will inevitably see this, and respond in-kind... you will be pissed, he will be pissed, and I'll be ticked as well.

Well, you just did it again... if it was in reference to anybody but him, you would have given credence to the smiley... but it's about him, so you didn't... 

I don't think he's as much of a delicate flower as you seem to think he is...

#133 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

Well, you just did it again... if it was in reference to anybody but him, you would have given credence to the smiley... but it's about him, so you didn't... 

I don't think he's as much of a delicate flower as you seem to think he is...

He's not delicate, and he doesn't need 'saving.' You came into this thread that was basically done, and you seemed to have the sole intention of provoking him.

That doesn't benefit anyone.

#134 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

He's not delicate, and he doesn't need 'saving.' You came into this thread that was basically done, and you seemed to have the sole intention of provoking him.

That doesn't benefit anyone.

I honestly think you don't even know you're doing it...

For example, it's perfectly fine if somebody refers to Rob calling everybody an idiot... Rob doing that is so normal that it's a standard joke... but when I point out that you come rushing in whenever somebody calls Rob on doing that very thing, you decide to make an issue of it...  well, how come you don't rush in when Rob provokes people?  Why don't you raise the "how does that benefit anyone" flag when he's provocative in a personal way?  Why is your only concern when you think somebody else is provoking Rob? 

Look, I don't think you're s'posed to rush in to protect people from Rob... I don't especially mind when Rob goes following me around, making snide remarks repeatedly... now, if he keeps doing it to the point where it's aggravating, I'll ignore it for a while and then I'll eventually spank him for it... and whenever that happens, I can start a countdown from 10 down to 1 and by the time I get down to 3, I can pretty much count on you coming to rescue after completely ignoring how things got to that point...

Again, I fully agree that can do whatever you want... I'm just mystified by your very large blind spot about this one thing, that's all... you seem pretty much aware and unblinkered about most things...

#135 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

I honestly think you don't even know you're doing it...

For example, it's perfectly fine if somebody refers to Rob calling everybody an idiot... Rob doing that is so normal that it's a standard joke... but when I point out that you come rushing in whenever somebody calls Rob on doing that very thing, you decide to make an issue of it...  well, how come you don't rush in when Rob provokes people?  Why don't you raise the "how does that benefit anyone" flag when he's provocative in a personal way?  Why is your only concern when you think somebody else is provoking Rob? 

Look, I don't think you're s'posed to rush in to protect people from Rob... I don't especially mind when Rob goes following me around, making snide remarks repeatedly... now, if he keeps doing it to the point where it's aggravating, I'll ignore it for a while and then I'll eventually spank him for it... and whenever that happens, I can start a countdown from 10 down to 1 and by the time I get down to 3, I can pretty much count on you coming to rescue after completely ignoring how things got to that point...

Again, I fully agree that can do whatever you want... I'm just mystified by your very large blind spot about this one thing, that's all... you seem pretty much aware and unblinkered about most things...

There is no blind spot.  I ask Rob to respect the posters here as clients. I also acknowledge that I let Rob get away with things I'm not comfortable with due to our friendship.

Rob... while not perfect (none of us are)... has attempted to bite his tongue more often here.

What you perceive as me rushing to him or rescuing him, is when I see spots which could escalate out of control and me trying to diffuse. He doesn't need me to defend him. He needs me to remind him at times I'm uncomfortable with his responses.

Within the last two weeks I traded messages with Rob saying on at-least that particular day I thought he was escalating an issue with you, on his own... and that I didn't like that.

It's extremely irritating to me to see you come into this thread, and have no intention beyond provoking him.

I could not have said anything in response to your posts here... and he could have (or might still) come in here guns blazing.... and if he does, I'll be irritated at that... but I'll also be irritated at you for creating that response.

#136 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

To be fair, Shack is really the only who I get genuinely pissed at...and that's because I have an honest dislike for him.

DJ gets on my nerves at times as well but overall, I don't do any of that stuff nearly as much as before...because again, I actually like the people around here.

Brandon may piss me off because he's irrational at times but I also understand that and its over when it's over. For the most part, the discussion on here is excellent and when people get after each other, it's not personal at all.

I will admit though, with Shack, it's personal to me...probably shouldn't be but it is.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#137 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

There is no blind spot.  I ask Rob to respect the posters here as clients. I also acknowledge that I let Rob get away with things I'm not comfortable with due to our friendship.

Rob... while not perfect (none of us are)... has attempted to bite his tongue more often here.

What you perceive as me rushing to him or rescuing him, is when I see spots which could escalate out of control and me trying to diffuse. He doesn't need me to defend him. He needs me to remind him at times I'm uncomfortable with his responses.

Within the last two weeks I traded messages with Rob saying on at-least that particular day I thought he was escalating an issue with you, on his own... and that I didn't like that.

It's extremely irritating to me to see you come into this thread, and have no intention beyond provoking him.

I could not have said anything in response to your posts here... and he could have (or might still) come in here guns blazing.... and if he does, I'll be irritated at that... but I'll also be irritated at you for creating that response.

Oh... Rob gets credit for "attempting" top bite his tongue...

And you tell Rob to cool it privately... but you tell others publicly... I see...

#138 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Oh... Rob gets credit for "attempting" top bite his tongue...

And you tell Rob to cool it privately... but you tell others publicly... I see...

There is a double standard, no doubt.

I've acknowledged that to you privately, and publicly before.

What you should acknowledge to yourself, is that you often attempt to provoke... so don't get upset when you get the reaction you are seeking.

#139 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:15 PM

Whatever...

We agree that you can handle things in whatever manner you wish...

#140 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

DJ gets on my nerves at times as well but overall, I don't do any of that stuff nearly as much as before...because again, I actually like the people around here.

Those occasions when I say something to get on your nerves are because you treat me without any respect no matter what I say. Even if I disagree with you in a respectful manner, the BEST I can hope for is to get brushed off; you're just as likely to turn it personal right away.

Like the Duquette post the other night. Quite a few people might have thought of the idea of that kind of expanded trade. With any of them, especially at that time of night, I could have made the drunk-thread joke, and they would have reacted with amusement and maybe a "no, really, let me explain". You went right after me, otherwise unprovoked.

How am I supposed to react to that? And how am I supposed to care whether or not I get on your nerves?

@DJ_McCann

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=