4191 replies to this topic

#2821 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

Last week I joined a 35+ baseball league.  First time playing real baseball in like 19 years and I've had quite the boner since then.  Especially when I went out  equipment shopping this week. 

This is going to be so awesome.

Hit me up in 3 years. I'm in.
@BSLMikeRandall

#2822 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

I finally start my job Monday, after two months of tackling the honey-do list.

• You Play to Win the Game, Nigel Tufnel, RShack and 3 others like this

#2823 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

Our office building in Canton has a roof top deck that connects three suites on the top floor, including ours.

As I found out today, one of the business owners in the connecting suite likes to sunbathe in a bikini during lunch.

@Miller192

#2824 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

Our office building in Canton has a roof top deck that connects three suites on the top floor, including ours.

As I found out today, one of the business owners in the connecting suite likes to sunbathe in a bikini during lunch.

Whats his name?

• DJ MC and Dupin like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2825 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,582 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

Changed my front brakes and rotors last night. Such a noticeable difference now. My car was lurching to a stop. Now it's a nice smooth glide. It was hard being on my knees the whole night so Im sore today but overall it's not that hard of a job. Going to do my rear pads and rotors later this week.

$700+ to have a shop do it, $300 for me to do it.

• Mackus likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2826 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

Whats his name?

Rob Shields

• DJ MC, Mike in STL and Dupin like this
@Miller192

#2827 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

It was hard being on my knees the whole night so Im sore today

Tell me more.

#2828 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

Changed my front brakes and rotors last night. Such a noticeable difference now. My car was lurching to a stop. Now it's a nice smooth glide. It was hard being on my knees the whole night so Im sore today but overall it's not that hard of a job. Going to do my rear pads and rotors later this week.

$700+ to have a shop do it, $300 for me to do it.

I would love to learn how to do stuff like this.  I have no qualms diving into a house project without knowing full well how to do the task I'm trying to accomplish.  I figure worst case is I botch it and hire someone else to do the work.  I get worried about working on my car, because worst case is I screw something up and make it unusable or unsafe to drive.  My father-in-law does tons of work on his own cars and even on my wife's and her sibling's vehicles.  I need to start tagging along for that.

I did take apart my doors last year to try and fix a passenger window that would go down but not up.  I replaced the regulator and motor assembly as well as the switch and even the master switch on the driver's side, but that didn't solve the problem, still wouldn't go up.  It's gotta be a frayed wire somewhere that is unaccessible to me.  So I just unplugged the motor and now that window just stays up.  My car is a POS anyways, so I don't mind.

#2829 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,582 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Mack, brakes are super easy. You won't mess anything up. Look up a YouTube video on how to change the brakes on your car...it's bound to be out there. They show you how to do everything. That's how I learned. The hardest part is getting the bolts off that need to come off, but swapping out pads is super easy and as long as your rotors aren't corroded onto the hub (mine were so I needed PB Blaster and a ballpeen hammer) it won't be hard at all. Just get some jack stands and wheel chocks and you should be set as long as you have your basic wrench set. The most important thing is hanging the caliper and not letting brake line have too much weight on it...I zip tie it to my shocks. The store where you buy the pads and rotors should rent you a caliper set so you can push the piston back into the caliper. It's free as long as you return it.

You're a handy dude...no doubt in my mind you can do it.
  • Mark Carver likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2830 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

Mack, brakes are super easy. You won't mess anything up. Look up a YouTube video on how to change the brakes on your car...it's bound to be out there. They show you how to do everything. That's how I learned. The hardest part is getting the bolts off that need to come off, but swapping out pads is super easy and as long as your rotors aren't corroded onto the hub (mine were so I needed PB Blaster and a ballpeen hammer) it won't be hard at all. Just get some jack stands and wheel chocks and you should be set as long as you have your basic wrench set. The most important thing is hanging the caliper and not letting brake line have too much weight on it...I zip tie it to my shocks. The store where you buy the pads and rotors should rent you a caliper set so you can push the piston back into the caliper. It's free as long as you return it.

You're a handy dude...no doubt in my mind you can do it.

What I do to get the piston back into the caliber, is use a 6" c clamp, It can be done without removing the caliber from the brake hose. Harbor Freight Tools have them for $6.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#2831 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,582 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Yeah I rent the caliper set for free from the auto store. I've used c clamps before but I like the flush coverage the tool gives me.

#2832 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

Rob Shields

I do look good in a 2 piece
  • Miller192 likes this

#2833 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

Rob Shields
I do look good in a 2 piece
From KFC maybe
  • Russ likes this

@fuzydunlop

#2834 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:52 AM

Yeah I rent the caliper set for free from the auto store. I've used c clamps before but I like the flush coverage the tool gives me.

Flush coverage is good (to not stress the piston unevenly).  With a C-clamp, you can should just use one of the dead pads between the clamp and the piston to get flush coverage...

p.s.  Somewhere along the line, I lost my X-lug-wrench.... changing brake pads made me get another one... twirling is better   :-)

image_8334.jpg

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2835 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

As of July 1, I will officially be a Philadelphian.
@DJ_McCann

#2836 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

I'll assume you're practicing your booing technique and watching Rocky on an endless loop to prepare.

#2837 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

Shouldn't this be in the rants section?

#2838 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:12 PM

Shouldn't this be in the rants section?

I won't be commuting two hours each way anymore. I could be moving into Heinz Field and I'd be cool with it.
@DJ_McCann

#2839 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

I'll assume you're practicing your booing technique and watching Rocky on an endless loop to prepare.

I'm just re-reading Silver Linings Playbook.
@DJ_McCann

#2840 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

Philly >>> Baltimore. Sorry.

@fuzydunlop

1 user(s) are reading this topic