631 replies to this topic

#41 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

I wonder if this will enable Pees to play with more DBs and fewer guys in the box. Lord knows we will need them out there.

If we're willing to go into a straight Cover 2 and have a man press/tight coverage at the line it would help to keep your safeties deep and let them split the field.

It's just a matter of who to me. Someone is going to get burned a double move at some point in our secondary in this game and someone else is going to look back in the secondary for help and it's just not going to be there. I swear Webb has made whatever that kind of face if it existed 10 times this season.

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

If the weather is bad as they say, it's going to be tough to get a pass rush.

You can't blitz Ben either, so playing more DBs make sense anyway.

#43 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

On Reddit there are some Steeler fans lamenting that they'll be missing Bell's pass blocking as much as anything

#44 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

Just as Suggs and Dumervil will be slowed down, so will Harrison, Timmons, et al for Pittsburgh. The slower their pass rush is, the less chance there is of the once a game sack-strip-fumble-turnover that happens every single friggin time we play these guys.

The narrative of the playoff losses in Pittsburgh has been centered around us giving the ball away.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

On Reddit there are some Steeler fans lamenting that they'll be missing Bell's pass blocking as much as anything

Yea, I said the same thing the other day.

Pass protection could be a bigger problem although the weather conditions may negate that.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

Football Outsiders: Wild Card Previews

http://www.footballo...ff-preview-2015

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

CSN Baltimore: 5 Things You Need To Know

http://www.csnbaltim...you-need-know-0

#48 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

I don't understand why everyone is making a huge deal about Bell. He didn't really do anything that hurt us in either meeting. Brown and Bryant killed us.

As far as the weather, I think it will affect Doom more than anyone. The soft footing will effect his speed off of the edge. This should be Suggs, Ngata and McPhee's game to shine. Suggs always seems to show up against the Steelers. Let's hope this continues.

The way we ended the season, I expect a close game, or a Steelers blowout. Hopefully the balls bounce our way tomorrow night. If not, it could get ugly.

#49 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

I don't understand why everyone is making a huge deal about Bell. He didn't really do anything that hurt us in either meeting. Brown and Bryant killed us.

In most cases teams are often different from one meeting to the next, even in the same season. Bell didnt breakout until after the meetings with the Ravens. 3 games in a row with 200+ scrimmage yards has only even been done once. He accounts for about 40% of the teams total yards on the year.

The wideouts are dangerous, but this is a huge loss for them. Archer and Harris combine for 19 carries on the year, and Tate, well, sucks.
  • Icterus galbula likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

In most cases teams are often different from one meeting to the next, even in the same season. Bell didnt breakout until after the meetings with the Ravens. 3 games in a row with 200+ scrimmage yards has only even been done once. He accounts for about 40% of the teams total yards on the year. The wideouts are dangerous, but this is a huge loss for them. Archer and Harris combine for 19 carries on the year, and Tate, well, sucks.

Plus...pass protection. Critical aspect here.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#51 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:24 AM

In most cases teams are often different from one meeting to the next, even in the same season. Bell didnt breakout until after the meetings with the Ravens. 3 games in a row with 200+ scrimmage yards has only even been done once. He accounts for about 40% of the teams total yards on the year. The wideouts are dangerous, but this is a huge loss for them. Archer and Harris combine for 19 carries on the year, and Tate, well, sucks.

While I agree for the most part. Bell just never scared me. Our front 7 can handle him. They've proven it twice this year. Pittsburgh's ability to beat us tomorrow, has always hinged on Roethlisberger and our ability to shut down their passing game. Maybe I'm just being biased, but Bell just doesn't scare me with our defense. Nothing he does, beats our front 7. Nothing against him as a RB, he's a stud, cowbell back. Just, sometimes, a team has your number. Just like Cincy has Flacco's, I think we have Bell's.

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:31 AM

Bell wasn't scary running the ball but he's a big threat out of the backfield matched up with a LB.

It's a big loss for them. Tate just doesn't bring that versatility or ability. One less thing, and it was a crucial one, to worry about.

That's not to say we haven't done a better job on Bell than most teams. We have, but he was always gonna have to be a guy you gameplanned for.

#53 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:10 AM

With or without Bell, another guy we have to account for is Heath Miller. He had a really good season and he consistently kills over the middle. With all of the attention that will be paid to Antonio Brown and trying to stop Bryant from taking the top off the defense, we're going to ask the LBs to do a lot of work in pass coverage. And there's nothing more frustrating than seeing a dump off over the middle end up as a 15 yard gain.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#54 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

Turnovers are definitely going to be key here. As is the protecting Joe. What they did to him last time has me pretty concerned. A Gap presssure and finding a way to exploit Hurst. I just feel like Lebeau will figure out a way again.  We have to be able to remain balanced. That means having some success in the run game and keeping the game close. 

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:47 AM

Pitt has won 4 in a row and are playing well, there is no doubt about that.

They are a team with an excellent offense but the MVP of the team, after Ben, is out.

But they are a middling ST and a very poor defense.

Teams ran on them better than a normal Steelers defense. Their secondary is weak. They allowed 23 ppg(Ravens allowed 19).

Like the Ravens, they played an easy schedule. Unlike the Ravens, they did a good job against winning teams. However, they also lost to TB, NYJ and NO at home...they also struggled to beat Tennessee. Football outsiders essentially gave both teams the same chance to win the SB.

Both teams also have key injuries...the focus is on Bell but when you don't have your 2 starting Tackles and your all pro guard has to move, that's a bigger deal even if no one is mentioning it.

This isn't some juggernaut of a team. Now, they are playing well and as we know, teams that get hot at this time of year can go a long way. Pittsburgh could be that team and while I do think they beat the Ravens tonight, it's close to a coin toss game imo and a Ravens win shouldn't be looked at as the shock some of you seem to be hinting at.
  • Biggsy likes this

#56 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Pitt has won 4 in a row and are playing well, there is no doubt about that.
They are a team with an excellent offense but the MVP of the team, after Ben, is out.
But they are a middling ST and a very poor defense.
Teams ran on them better than a normal Steelers defense. Their secondary is weak. They allowed 23 ppg(Ravens allowed 19).
Like the Ravens, they played an easy schedule. Unlike the Ravens, they did a good job against winning teams. However, they also lost to TB, NYJ and NO at home...they also struggled to beat Tennessee. Football outsiders essentially gave both teams the same chance to win the SB.
Both teams also have key injuries...the focus is on Bell but when you don't have your 2 starting Tackles and your all pro guard has to move, that's a bigger deal even if no one is mentioning it.
This isn't some juggernaut of a team. Now, they are playing well and as we know, teams that get hot at this time of year can go a long way. Pittsburgh could be that team and while I do think they beat the Ravens tonight, it's close to a coin toss game imo and a Ravens win shouldn't be looked at as the shock some of you seem to be hinting at.

All good points. Especially the shuffling of our O-line. That is more of a detriment to our team then if Bell would have been active. Hurst, needs to play above his actual ability. Bad footing can only help, but he still needs to show up in the big way.

The past few weeks, teams have exploited our interior with A gap blitzes. Especially the Texans. You can bet your ass Pittsburgh is going to go after that gap as well.

Kubiak needs to get some designed play action roll outs and some misdirection in early to slow down the blitzes and negate the interior pressure. If Kubiak is going to break some play calling habits, today needs to be the day.

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

CBS Sports: Ravens-Steelers preview: Five stats to know about the wild-card matchup

http://www.cbssports...ld-card-matchup

#58 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

CBS has reported that Polamalu is starting tonight. This is fantastic news.

Polamalu is a shell of the player he once was. He was always average at best in coverage and now with diminished closing speed, his a liability in coverage. So much so that one of the Pittsburgh radio guys said the Steelers secondary was much improved WITHOUT Polamalu on the field.

• Mike in STL likes this
@primetime667083

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

CBS has reported that Polamalu is starting tonight. This is fantastic news.

Polamalu is a shell of the player he once was. He was always average at best in coverage and now with diminished closing speed, his a liability in coverage. So much so that one of the Pittsburgh radio guys said the Steelers secondary was much improved WITHOUT Polamalu on the field.

Polamalu hasn't been good since Jordy Nelson burned him over and over again in that Super Bowl four years ago. His blitzes are a dead giveaway as he approaches the line too early. If Joe picks it up and adjusts the route to go to the zone where #43 should have been covering, it's easy pickens all day.
@BSLMikeRandall

#60 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

In case you forgot why Pittsburgh fucking blows, here:

B6cvcmAIQAA-CMW.jpg

@fuzydunlop