• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

The Orioles, who have lost 4 consecutive series, arrive in Boston for a 3 game series beginning tonight. At 30-24, the O’s are 3 games ahead of the Red Sox in the American League East.

1) The O’s were slumping before the road-trip began, and that slump grew in Toronto, and Tampa Bay. The lone game that the O’s have won on the trip, was with Matusz pitching a great game. Starting pitching is still the key. Winning two of three in Boston, before coming home would be great to see it. Hammel’s start tonight will set the tone. For the year, Hammel is 6-2, with a 3.06 era. In his 61.2 ip, he has allowed 54 hits, 7 hr’s, 19 bb’s, with 58 k’s. His OPS against is .673, and his G/F is 1.18.

2) The calendar turned to June, and Wieters bat came back alive. In the Rays series, Wieters had 6 hits, including his 9th hr, and a bb. After coming alive in Tampa Bay, you want to see him become scorching in Boston.

3) Like Wieters, Reynolds is coming off a nice series in Tampa Bay (4 hits, double, hr, and a walk). His power typically comes in bunches; I expect to see him add another shot or two this weekend.

4) Hardy arrives in Boston with a 5 game hitting streak, and hits in 8 of his last 9 games overall. His slugging % has dipped under last year’s levels though, as he has just 3 xbh’s in his last 15 games.

5) I would expect to see Pearce in RF tonight vs. Lester, and Flaherty the following two days vs. Beckett, and Buchholz.

6) After going 2 for 3 with 2 homers vs. Boston 5/23, Johnson has received just 9 ab’s (and been hit-less) in the 9 subsequent games.

7) I was pleased that Chen was able to get into the 6th inning, after allowing 5 er in the 1st inning vs. Tampa Bay Friday night. The 4 bb’s were concerning, as are the 5 hr’s allowed in the last 4 starts. The O’s have lost his last 3 starts, after winning his previous 6. This will be Chen’s 2nd start in Boston.

8) Davis had raised his average to .315, with 3 hits on the 29th at Toronto. In the 3 games since, he is 0 for 11, with 5 k’s. Is he falling into another slump, or will he spend the weekend playing pepper with the Monster?

9) Before the Rays series, we talked about how we believed that for Matusz, April and May had been about getting his feet back under him. We said we wanted to see him respond by taking the next step in June. He responded with a big start in Tampa Bay, getting into the 7th for the first time. He has now made 4 consecutive starts, where he has pitched at-least 6 innings, and allowed 3 er or less. For the year, Matusz is now 5-5, with a 4.41 era. In his 63.1 ip, he has allowed 67 hits, 8 hr, 25 bb’s, with 50 k’s. His OPS against is .753, and his G/F is 0.65.

10) The bullpen is well rested and should be able to be utilized throughout the weekend accordingly.

Projected Pitchers
6/5: Hammel vs. Lester (LHP)
6/6: Chen vs. Beckett
6/7: Matusz vs. Buchholz

Lester: 3-4, 4.79 era, 67.2 ip, 71 hits, 7 hr’s, 22 bb’s, 48 k’s, .763 OPS against, 1.03 G/F
Pitch F/X: http://pitchfx.texas...pitcher/452657/

Beckett: 4-5, 4.26 era, 63.1 ip, 62 hits, 9 hr’s, 16 bb’s, 46 k’s, .718 OPS against, 0.78 G/F
Pitch F/X: http://pitchfx.texas...pitcher/277417/

Buchholz: 5-2, 6.58 era, 64.1 ip, 81 hits, 13 hr’s, 30 bb’s, 40 k’s, .906 OPS against, 1.06 G/F
Pitch F/X: http://pitchfx.texas...pitcher/453329/

C: Saltalamacchia .867 OPS
1st: Youkilis .724 OPS
2nd: Pedroia .800 OPS (torn adductor muscle in his right thumb, might go on DL today)
SS: Aviles .717 OPS
3rd: Middlebrooks .898 OPS
LF: Nava .958 OPS
CF: Sweeney .784 OPS
RF: Gonzalez .739 OPS
DH: Ortiz .987 OPS

Bench: Shoppach, Podsednik, Byrd, Punto
Rotation: Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Doubront, Bard
Bullpen: Aceves, Morales, Hill, Atchison, Albers, Padilla, Miller

Current Ranks:

Boston
Runs: 3rd
Batting Average: 3rd
On Base: 7th
Slugging: 2nd
ERA: 28th
Quality Starts: 24th
WHIP: 25th
BAA: 23rd

Baltimore
Runs: 11th
Batting Average: 19th
On Base: 21st
Slugging: 6th
ERA: 10th
Quality Starts: 22nd
WHIP: 11th
BAA: 13th

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Somehow we need to take 2 of 3, which would still bring us to 3-6 on the roadstand. A 1-8 roadstand even against this competition is pretty bad.
@levineps

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

After 4 consecutive series losses, including 2 on this road trip; the Orioles want a winning series in Boston prior to coming home to Baltimore. They moved closer d to gaining that series win, with their 8-6 extra-inning victory tonight.

With the win, the O's improve to 31-24 on the year, 4 games ahead of the Red Sox. As the Yankees beat Tampa Bay tonight, Baltimore is again tied with the Rays on top of the American League East. On the year, the O's are now 5-2 against Boston.

The Good:

1) With 2 on, and 1 out in the 3rd; Hammel was able to strike out Pedroia, and get Gonzalez to ground out. After Boston tied the game at 2 in the 5th, Hammel got Gonzalez to fly out, intentionally walked Ortiz, and struck out Youkilis. Good job of limiting the damage. As we say below, it hurt the O's that Hammel was not able to go longer. In the 5 innings he pitched, he was effective. 5 ip, 4 hits, 0 er, 3 bb's, 7 k's. He threw 106 pitches, 61 for strikes. Boston hit 7 grounders against him.

2) Hardy tripled to deep CF in the 1st. He would fly out to CF in the 3rd, advancing Chavez to 3rd. Hardy tied the game at 4, on his single to CF in the 7th.

3) Wieters made a perfect throw, to get get Podsednik stealing in the 1st. Wieters had a 2 out single in the 3rd, plating the O's 2nd run of the game. Wieters doubled to lead off the 6th. He was intentionally walked to load the bases in the 7th.

4) The O's took the 1-0 lead on Jones' 2 out single up the middle in the 3rd.

5) Reynolds walked to load the bases in the 3rd. With Wieters on 2nd and none out in the 6th, Reynolds bunted towards 3rd, advancing Wieters and reaching himself. Getting ahead in the count, Reynolds dropped a single into RF in the 7th, scoring Andino and giving the O's the 5-4 lead. He walked to start the 10th.

6) Pearce put the O's up 3-2, with a sac fly to deep LCF in the 6th. His bases loaded single in the 7th, put the O's up 6-4. Pearce had several good plays in LF, one on a tailing fly ball, and twice handling balls off the Monster. He would bunt Reynolds over to 2nd in the 10th.

7) Andino made a good play on the slow roller from Gonzalez to end the 6th. He would single to RF in the 7th. He had 2 hits.

8) Chavez led off the 7th with a single to LF. In the 10th, he added his 3rd hit, scoring Paulino and giving the O's the 8-6 lead.

9) Good decision from Hale to send Chavez home in the 7th, challenging Podsednik's weak arm.

10) I was ready to see Patton leave the game, even with the lefties Gonzalez, and Ortiz coming up. Patton did well to get a weak grounder from Gonzalez to end the 6th, and strike out Ortiz to begin the 7th.

11) Strop had a nice inning of work in the 8th.

12) Paulino put the O's up 7-6, with his single up the middle in the 10th.

13) Flaherty smacked a single into RF in the 10th.

14) After blowing the game in the 9th, Johnson came back out for the 10th and closed the door.

The Bad:

1) Hammel walked Podsednik to lead off the Boston 1st. With 2 outs, and nobody on in the 2nd, Saltalamacchia went from being down 0-2, to walking. Hammel was pretty effective in his 5 innings, but it hurt the O's that he was not able to get deeper. Boston is a patient lineup. Hammel's pitch count was quickly elevated, because he went deep with nearly every hitter.

2) With Hardy on 3rd and 1 out in the 1st, Jones struck out. Contact was needed, and Jones swung at multiple pitches out of the zone.

3) Like Jones, Wieters would also strike out in the 1st, leaving Hardy stranded at 3rd. Jones made a nice catch on the Podsednik fly in the 6th.

4) With the bases loaded in the 3rd, Pearce struck out to end the inning.

5) Entering in the 6th, Patton walked Sweeney with 1 out. This put on the tying run, and Sweeney would eventually score.

6) Batting with the bases loaded in the 7th, Paulino hit into an inning ending double play.

7) Johnson blew his first save attempt of the year tonight, with Saltalamacchia taking Johnson deep for a game tying 2 run shot in the 9th.

The Ugly:

1) Boston's 5th started with Reynolds unable to come up with the grounder / chopper from Nava. Aviles would follow with a single, giving the Red Sox runners on 1st and 2nd with none out. Podsednik bunted towards Reynolds. Reynolds came up firing and going to 3rd. I think Hammel and Wieters had to be telling Reynolds to go to 1st, but regardless; the throw to 3rd should not have been made. Tolleson was unable to come up with the throw, and Nava scored. What was worse, was that Aviles would advance to 3rd, and Podsednik would get to 2nd, as the throw went past Tolleson (who should have made the catch). Aviles would score on a sac fly from Pedroia to tie the game at 2.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Really needed this win. Even with a pretty disappointing Hammel start, the O's kept battling and battling and got the win, despite Johnson's blown save.

6 straight wins for the Birds up at Camden North. Let's make it 7 tomorrow.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Big win, especially after blowing the lead in the 9th the way we did. That would have been pretty deflating. This team has shown a good bit of resiliency so far this year.

#6 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Glad the squad picked up JJ tonight. He deserved it. Looked like he left a flat fastball up to Salty. Definitely not where he wanted it. Looking forward to what Chen is up to tomorrow. Rough first inning last time out and was fine after that. Also not facing David Price this time out.
@BSLLukeJackson

#7 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

Big win, especially after blowing the lead in the 9th the way we did. That would have been pretty deflating. This team has shown a good bit of resiliency so far this year.

Yeah I think so too. The team still surprises me in that aspect. I definitely didn't expect a score in the top of the 10th, let alone 2 runs. Felt like Boston really only had the momentum for about 10 minutes.

@AdamWolff

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

The Baltimore Orioles improved to 6-2 on the year against the Red Sox, winning 2-1 in Boston.
With the win, the O's are now 32-24 on the season, and have won their first series in five tries. Tomorrow the O's and Matusz will attempt to gain the sweep, prior to coming back to Baltimore.

The Good:

1) Chen needed just 13 pitches to get through the 1st. In the 3rd, he recorded an important 2nd out, striking out Pedroia, with a 93 mph fastball on the outside black. He struck out McDonald on a nice change-up to begin the 5th. With 2 in scoring position, and 1 out in the 7th; Chen had a fantastic sequence to retire Byrd for the 2nd out. He would end the inning, getting Aviles to pop out. Just outstanding pitching and resolve there not to allow the potential tying and go ahead runners score. For the night, Chen went 7 innings, allowing 7 hits, 1 er, 0 bb's, with 4 k's. He threw 100 pitches, 69 for strikes. Boston hitters hit 9 grounders against him.

2) Betemit had an excellent play to end the 2nd, bare handing a ball to get Saltalamacchia at 1st. He led off the 6th with a single against the shift, placing it perfectly towards 3rd.

3) After 3 hits last night, Chavez had the O's first hit tonight, lining to left to start off the 4th. Chavez hit into a FC in the 6th, putting the O's up 2-1.

4) Flaherty worked the count full, and singled into RF in the 6th.

5) Andino tied the game at 1, with his RBI liner to RF in the 6th.

6) Davis singled into LCF in the 7th.

7) Strop retired the first hitter (Pedroia) he saw in the 8th. Strike 2 was an 83 mph breaking ball, strike 3 was 98 at the knees. After walking Youkilis, and Ortz; Strop would get Middlebrooks to fly out, and Podsednik to ground out to end the inning.

8) Johnson had an uneventful 9th, securing the win.

The Bad:

1) Chen left a pitch out and over the plate to McDonald, who doubled off the Monster to begin the 3rd. With the O's trying to protect a 1 run lead, Gonzalez and Saltalamacchia reached with singles to lead off the 7th.

2) The first 9 Orioles were retired on only 29 pitches from Beckett. Through 5 innings, Beckett had only thrown 49 pitches.

3) Hardy hit into a double play in the 4th, wiping out the lead-off single from Chavez. He would hit into another double play, which ended the 6th.

4) Jones and Wieters were a combined 0 for 7.

5) On Gonzalez's line out in the 4th, Reynolds appeared to forget how many outs there were.

6) In the 7th, McDonald sacrificed runners to 2nd and 3rd. There may have been a play at 3rd, but Betemit was not able to get back to the bag. This left Chen with only a play at 1st.

7) Strop walked the 2nd hitter he saw (Youkilis), letting Boston bring the potential winning run to the plate. This was followed by another walk to Ortiz.

The Ugly:

1) I don't understand why there were not relievers up to begin the 7th. We have seen Chen hit a wall numerous times at around 85 pitches. He entered the inning having thrown 82. Even though Chen got out of the inning unscathed, I still think the pen should have been ready to go.

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Great win. Got the series, and a chance to sweep tomorrow.

Chen pitched great. Johnson got a save after blowing one last night.

7 straight wins in New England.

#10 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

The Good: WIN!

The Ugly: MLB.tv made me miss the bottom of the 9th.

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

#11 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

The Good: WIN!

The Ugly: MLB.tv made me miss the bottom of the 9th.

It's always a battle for me. Mine held up fine for this game, but it's been spotty the last few.

@AdamWolff

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Chen's 7th inning was the pivotal point in the game, IMO. Gave up two hits to start the inning, but followed it with a weak fly ball, strikeout, and pop out. Just fantastic.

I loved JJ's post game comments about it being a game of adjustments. Salty said that when he throws 95-96, the hitter has to sit fastball. So JJ goes in there today and mows them down with a nice mixture of breaking stuff and a few fastballs.

It's great to get another series win up in Fenway.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

These last two games have been huge for getting back on track and making them and us more optimistic of what is to come. You know they had to start thinking bad thoughts too.

#14 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

No bad or ugly in this win. If we can somehow be 8-10 games over when Roberts,Britton, Reimold and Lindstrom return look out.
God hates Caps fans

#15 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

3 wins this year without hitting a homer, but 2 in 2 days.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

@fuzydunlop

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

The McNulty? The one in OH? Dude, great to see you.

But I promised Moose we wouldn't make fun of his mom over here...

#17 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

The McNulty? The one in OH? Dude, great to see you.

But I promised Moose we wouldn't make fun of his mom over here...

The same!

Can we cuss here, because I've got some four letter words for that noise.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

The same!

Can we cuss here, because I've got some four letter words for that noise.

Hahaha... I was in a good mood... Screw it, let 'er rip.

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

No bad or ugly in this win. If we can somehow be 8-10 games over when Roberts,Britton, Reimold and Lindstrom return look out.

Forgot Markakis and Pomeranz who I think can be a weapon in the pen. I agree, no ugly in a solid 2 to 1 win. I think Buck is trying to protect the pen. He wanted Chen to fight through the 7th. Chen really showed me something. His 3 hardest pitches of the night 93, 94 and 93 were in the 7th. Great changeup to Bryd after a 94 MPH heater. Well done O's.
@mikeghg

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Fire Brand of the AL: http://firebrandal.c...more-orioles-2/

Outside look at the O's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors