#541 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 September 2023 - 04:01 PM

Just don't think OSU and WSU have any real choice but to join the MWC.

#542 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2023 - 04:05 PM

Just don't think OSU and WSU have any real choice but to join the MWC.

There might be one other option.

https://www.mercuryn...-mountain-west/

That article is lightly paywalled, so you should be able to read it (IYKYK). It does a good job explaining why it would be to OSU/WSU's advantage to keep the conference afloat. It's complicated, maybe to the point of not being feasible, especially with Cal/Stanford out of the mix too, but it makes sense to try.

And hey, if it somehow works, your Broncos could finally be in the Pac-12!

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#543 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,623 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 September 2023 - 05:50 PM

They need 8 teams?

I would guess

WSU

OSU

Boise

SDSU

Fresno

UNLV
New Mexico

Colorado State

Something like that.

Maybe add Gonzaga as a basketball only. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#544 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 05:51 PM

Pete Thamel reports the AAC is reaching out to Army as an expansion candidate to replace SMU. One issue is that they and Navy would not want to change the date of their annual game, which has long been the Saturday after conference championship games. So despite them being in the same conference, their game would need to technically be a non-conference game.

#545 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 06:06 PM

They need 8 teams?

I would guess

WSU

OSU

Boise

SDSU

Fresno

UNLV
New Mexico

Colorado State

Something like that.

Maybe add Gonzaga as a basketball only. 

What I’m reading is possibly a reverse-merger, so it would mean the entire MWC folds into the Pac. You’d have:

OSU

WSU

Boise St

SD State

Fresno St

San Jose St

Nevada

UNLV

Utah St

Wyoming

Colorado St

Air Force

New Mexico

Hawaii (football only)

You could try to even out the numbers for non-football sports by adding Gonzaga, but not sure that conference would have the money to make it worth their while.

#546 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 September 2023 - 08:09 PM

What I’m reading is possibly a reverse-merger, so it would mean the entire MWC folds into the Pac. You’d have:

OSU

WSU

Boise St

SD State

Fresno St

San Jose St

Nevada

UNLV

Utah St

Wyoming

Colorado St

Air Force

New Mexico

Hawaii (football only)

You could try to even out the numbers for non-football sports by adding Gonzaga, but not sure that conference would have the money to make it worth their while.

I think this is close to what happens. But I don't think it means much other than name only. PAC  New or MWC its still not going to be viewed like the other big 4. BUT it does offer up a bunch of western time slots for tv which is the only reason the PAC schools got into those other conferences in the first place.

#547 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 08:14 PM

It's not the other 4, but that's a pretty solid conference until the next run of realignment.

Getting Gonzaga and St. Mary's for basketball would be nice.

#548 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 08:31 PM

I think this is close to what happens. But I don't think it means much other than name only. PAC  New or MWC its still not going to be viewed like the other big 4. BUT it does offer up a bunch of western time slots for tv which is the only reason the PAC schools got into those other conferences in the first place.

The Pac-whatever name might have a little more brand value over the MWC, but probably not enough to make a difference. The value would be in retaining what could be as much as $60M in Pac-12 assets, which OSU and WSU could share some of to make it worthwhile.

Pedro’s suggestion of poaching the top 6 MWC programs (though I’d swap NM for Air Force) makes sense, and maybe even add a couple AAC schools like UTSA and Tulane, in that you’d get a better TV deal for that group. Merging with the whole MWC means paying equal shares to bottom feeders that dilute value. The problem with that is the conference exit fees. Anyone that wants to leave the MWC for next season owes just over $33M. OSU/WSU can’t cover much that with what’s left of the Pac-12.

If I were wagering, I’d say what ultimately happens is OSU/WSU find that keeping the Pac-12 alive and adding schools just isn’t feasible, and they’ll have to just straight up join the MWC and divide the remaining $60M evenly with the other current Pac-12 schools, which is doomsday for them because I don’t see how they survive financially with the debt and contracts encumbering them from trying to compete in the Pac-12 all these years. Their athletic departments could go bankrupt.

#549 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 11:22 AM

CBS Sports: ACC adding Stanford, Cal and SMU means the conference's days of being an elite basketball league are over

https://www.cbssport...eague-are-over/

#550 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 06:31 PM

Today a judge granted a temporary restraining order against the Pac-12 (specifically the 10 departing schools) and commissioner George Kliavkoff from holding any board meetings that would determine the future of the conference. The order was sought by Oregon State and Washington State, their concerns being that the other members could potentially take a vote on matters that would essentially pillage any remaining conference assets, and even dissolve the conference, to be divided evenly among all 12 members. It would only take 9 of 12 schools voting in favor to do so.

OSU/WSU are fighting to keep any remaining assets to try and rebuild the conference, presumably by either adding Mountain West Conference members or a full reverse-merger with the MWC. No one really knows how much money is at stake, but I've seen as much as $60M could be coming to the conference in the form of NCAAT units that get paid out over 6 years. Seeing as this might be decided in the courts, I'd say the whatever the amount is is not insignificant. So much for an amicable divorce. And as always, the only winner is billable hours.

#551 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 11:17 PM

Today a judge granted a temporary restraining order against the Pac-12 (specifically the 10 departing schools) and commissioner George Kliavkoff from holding any board meetings that would determine the future of the conference. The order was sought by Oregon State and Washington State, their concerns being that the other members could potentially take a vote on matters that would essentially pillage any remaining conference assets, and even dissolve the conference, to be divided evenly among all 12 members. It would only take 9 of 12 schools voting in favor to do so.

OSU/WSU are fighting to keep any remaining assets to try and rebuild the conference, presumably by either adding Mountain West Conference members or a full reverse-merger with the MWC. No one really knows how much money is at stake, but I've seen as much as $60M could be coming to the conference in the form of NCAAT units that get paid out over 6 years. Seeing as this might be decided in the courts, I'd say the whatever the amount is is not insignificant. So much for an amicable divorce. And as always, the only winner is billable hours.

Shaking my head at the sheer brazenness of it all. All of it. 

So apropos of these times. 

#552 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 12:00 AM

This is absolutely brilliant. At long last, maybe we see European soccer style promotion/relegation in college football, albeit on a relatively small scale. I hope it happens!

https://sports.yahoo...-234810955.html

#553 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 September 2023 - 08:19 AM

This should be what they do at a large scale. Have what would basically be a champions league or maybe two of them (SEC and Big 10) and have relegation. That way you have much better matchups consistently and the games have much more meaning (either trying to contend or trying to not get relegated for the top league(s) and a similar dynamic in the lower leagues).

That'd be a vastly better product imo and I'd argue better for a program like Maryland too. For those that primarily care about winning it all, you may never have seen a truly meaningful Terps game in your entire life. This however would provide opportunity to win a championship at a lower level and then have the excitement of moving up to play the big boys.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#554 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 02:30 PM

This should be what they do at a large scale. Have what would basically be a champions league or maybe two of them (SEC and Big 10) and have relegation. That way you have much better matchups consistently and the games have much more meaning (either trying to contend or trying to not get relegated for the top league(s) and a similar dynamic in the lower leagues).

That'd be a vastly better product imo and I'd argue better for a program like Maryland too. For those that primarily care about winning it all, you may never have seen a truly meaningful Terps game in your entire life. This however would provide opportunity to win a championship at a lower level and then have the excitement of moving up to play the big boys.

It's the best of both worlds in that it gives you more matchups featuring the top teams, but also everyone has a path to access the highest levels and the money that comes with it....at least theoretically, but the path would be more defined than it is now.

Of course the article also says why we shouldn't hold our breath. Schools won't sign up for a system that forces them to budget for the possibility they will get relegated and see their revenue significantly cut, a byproduct of having football money finance nearly all of your other sports.

#555 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 06:39 PM

There has been a hearing going on this afternoon in a courtroom in Eastern Washington where Oregon State and Washington State are seeking a preliminary injunction that would give them sole control of the Pac-12 board of directors, with the other 10 soon-to-be departing members having no say.

The "Pac 2" are concerned the other 10 will vote as a bloc to dissolve the conference and split the remaining assets on their way out the door. OSU/WSU want to keep the assets and eventually reconstitute the conference, likely via some arrangement/expansion involving the Mountain West.

The 10 departees say they don't want to dissolve the conference, and they are worried if OSU/WSU gain full control of the board they will withhold revenue distributions for the current school year.

Attempts at mediation reached a stalemate and attorneys for both sides have told the judge more time is unlikely to achieve a settlement. No matter what the judge rules today (assuming he actually does issue a ruling today), 99.999999% likely that ruling will be appealed by whichever side comes out on the short end (and I'd wager the 10 departing schools will be the ones who do in this particular venue).

#556 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 07:42 PM

UPDATE: As expected, the judge granted OSU/WSU the preliminary injunction. Also as expected, the attorney for the Pac-12 stated they will appeal to the Washington Supreme Court and asked the judge for a temporary restraining order, which the judge granted through the end of the week.

What's noteworthy is that while OSU/WSU sought the PI against the Pac-12 and the commissioner, U of Washington joined in as a defendant (since the case was filed in WA) to more directly represent the best interests of the departing schools. It was probably a strategic move too....this case was heard in a courtroom only 15 or so miles from the WSU campus. An appeal to the WA Supreme Court would be in the capital of Olympia, and one might assume the members of the Court might be more friendly to U-dub's interests than a judge who presides in the shadow of Pullman.

Once again, billable hours remains the all-time, undefeated champion of college football.

#557 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 09:08 AM

Once again, billable hours remains the all-time, undefeated champion of college football.

Nah. Unabashed, naked greed is the champion these days. You only need the lawyers to untangle the wretched mess it inevitably causes. 

#558 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 04:35 PM

Despite going their separate ways after the season, Washington and Washington State are going to continue the Apple Cup series for at least another five years.

https://fbschedules....s-through-2028/

#559 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 10:46 AM

Delaware is expected to move up to the FBS level in 2025. They would play in Conference USA.

• SonicAttack likes this

#560 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:53 PM

Delaware is expected to move up to the FBS level in 2025. They would play in Conference USA.

Makes sense, they should def be an FBS school, good for them.  CUSA is a strong conference. Sucks not seeing them play Towson anymore, that was always fun.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=