• Please log in to reply
599 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

Figured I'd make a new thread on conference realignment with the college football playoff being a hot topic right now.

Obviously the Big 12 was left out of the top 4. A lot of people are pointing to the fact that they didn't have a true champion as a reason for not being included. 

The NCAA stipulates that a conference can only have a championship game with 12 teams. The Big 12 only has 10 teams right now.

The Big 12 would have to add 2 more teams and the question right now is, do they look east or west?

Eastern targets: Cincinnati, Memphis, South Florida, Central Florida, UConn (long shot)
Western targets: BYU, Boise State, Houston, UNLV

First thread: http://www.baltimore...ce +realignment

Second thread: http://www.baltimore...ce +realignment

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:06 AM

Figured I'd make a new thread on conference realignment with the college football playoff being a hot topic right now.

Obviously the Big 12 was left out of the top 4. A lot of people are pointing to the fact that they didn't have a true champion as a reason for not being included. 

The NCAA stipulates that a conference can only have a championship game with 12 teams. The Big 12 only has 10 teams right now.

The Big 12 would have to add 2 more teams and the question right now is, do they look east or west?

Eastern targets: Cincinnati, Memphis, South Florida, Central Florida, UConn (long shot)
Western targets: BYU, Boise State, Houston, UNLV

First thread: http://www.baltimore...ce +realignment

Second thread: http://www.baltimore...ce +realignment

UAB :lol:

@levineps

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

Yup. For a long time, I've advocated for a super basketball conference.

Some combination (likely 10-12) of Xavier, Saint Louis, Saint Joseph's, Butler, VCU, Dayton, Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, DePaul, Providence, and St. John's.

Hot damn did I nail this. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

But! But! But! http://www.onetruechampion.org/

• Greg Pappas likes this
@DJ_McCann

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

Also, I would love for the conference that was essentially created for the purpose of getting Nebraska and Texas and Oklahoma together to be forced to grovel on its knees for the favors of the likes of Memphis and UNLV.

@DJ_McCann

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

Also, I would love for the conference that was essentially created for the purpose of keeping Texas from going to the Pac-10 or independent to be forced to grovel on its knees for the favors of the likes of Memphis and UNLV.

Fixed.
  • DJ MC likes this

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

I'll be curious to see if this draws a knee-jerk reaction from the Big 12 on expansion. Other than the obvious misnomer, I kind of liked that they were a holdout to the notion that you have to have a conference championship game, and instead being able to play every team in the conference each season. But then when presented with a conundrum, they handled it all wrong and got egg on their face.

There's no slam-dunk obvious expansion candidates for them (not counting other Big Five schools that are essentially locked in for the foreseeable future). But as I mentioned I think BYU and Cincinnati seem to make the most sense.

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

I think Boise and Houston make the most sense. Boise is crushing it in the MW now, so they are due to graduate to the big leagues. Houston geographically fits and you could have that all Texas divison like they used to have. Was it the old southern conference?
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

I think Boise and Houston make the most sense. Boise is crushing it in the MW now, so they are due to graduate to the big leagues. Houston geographically fits and you could have that all Texas divison like they used to have. Was it the old southern conference?

SWAC.

@DJ_McCann

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

SWAC.

It wasnt that one.

There was the Big 8, then the other conference had Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Rice, Houston, and I think UTEP.

Those last four joined Conference USA when the other four merged with the Big 8 to make the Big 12.

So if you add Houston and have two divisions, one side can have five of six teams be in state rivals.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

It wasnt that one. There was the Big 8, then the other conference had Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Rice, Houston, and I think UTEP. Those last four joined Conference USA when the other four merged with the Big 8 to make the Big 12. So if you add Houston and have two divisions, one side can have five of six teams be in state rivals.

It was the Southwest Conference. UTEP wasn't a member, but Arkansas was until they went to the SEC in 1991.

EDIT: I forgot, SMU was part of that group too.
  • DJ MC and Mike in STL like this

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

It was the Southwest Conference. UTEP wasn't a member, but Arkansas was until they went to the SEC in 1991.

You're right. I always get the Southwestern Conference and SWAC mixed up.

@DJ_McCann

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

And heeeeeeere we go!

http://www.sportingn...ati-memphis-byu

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

CSN Chicago: After Big 12 snub, Notre Dame evaluating its future playoff chances

http://www.csnchicag...nbcs&ocid=yahoo

• Greg Pappas likes this

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

Not a perfect solution, but here's what I'd do if it looks like this is going to create more expansion.

1) NCAA, or whatever governing body is running things, do away with conference championship games.

2) Let every team play 13 regular season games (takes care of revenue loss from CCGs).

3) Playoff committee requires that a conference can submit only 1 champion.

4) Playoff committee favors teams that win their conference, but also teams from conferences that play more inter-conference games (9 > 8), and teams that play more challenging OOC games.

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

Not a perfect solution, but here's what I'd do if it looks like this is going to create more expansion.

1) NCAA, or whatever governing body is running things, do away with conference championship games.

2) Let every team play 13 regular season games (takes care of revenue loss from CCGs).

3) Playoff committee requires that a conference can submit only 1 champion.

4) Playoff committee favors teams that win their conference, but also teams from conferences that play more inter-conference games (9 > 8), and teams that play more challenging OOC games.

Pertaining to #4, wont that mean that teams will not schedule cupcakes, which they pay to play them, and those small schools then dont get a nice payday? It would probably really hurt some of them and you no longer have the Boise States of the world. No more parity.
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

Pertaining to #4, wont that mean that teams will not schedule cupcakes, which they pay to play them, and those small schools then dont get a nice payday? It would probably really hurt some of them and you no longer have the Boise States of the world. No more parity.

They'll still schedule schools like that to fill out the schedule and get the home games they need. My hope would be that with an extra game to work with we get a greater number of attractive OOC games than what we have now.

#18 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

Given that the Big 12 moved east when they grabbed West Virginia (still confused as to why they didn't get Louisville) I think they should probably go for Cincinnati and Memphis if they go to 12. Not bad football and good basketball. Urban areas in Tennessee and Ohio are not bad things to add to a conference.

If they hadn't gone with WVU (if, let's say, they had gotten Houston instead) I think it would at least make some sense to consider Colorado State and BYU. But more people are in the east overall anyway so it probably makes sense to stay east.

One thing about expansion is that if you split into two divisions you may get expanded opportunity for a really good non-division winner to make it into the top 6 bowls, e.g. how Mississippi State and Michigan State did this year. There are enough good teams in the Big 12 that that is a real possibility.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

NBC Sports / CFT: Big 12 would look ‘East not West’ if league decides to expand

http://collegefootba...ides-to-expand/

• Greg Pappas likes this

#20 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

NBC Sports / CFT: Big 12 would look ‘East not West’ if league decides to expand

http://collegefootba...ides-to-expand/

Cincinnati and UCF are the odds-on favorites. Makes sense. UConn will likely miss out again... can't even beat out Cincy and UCF. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=