• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:49 AM

We can have one large O's and MLB thread for the Winter Meetings here.

Sports on Earth: Highlights from Winter Meetings Past

http://www.sportsone...eason-hot-stove

#2 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

Yes or No, DD completes a trade while at the Winter Meetings?

• Mike in STL likes this

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

Doubt it. The rule 5 draft is coming up. They'll improve that way.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

SiriusXM to Broadcast from Baseball Winter Meetings Dec. 7-11

MLB Network Radio and Mad Dog Sports Radio channels will offer live coverage from San Diego

Listeners will hear insight and commentary from former GMs Jim Bowden, Jim Duquette and Steve Phillips, Rookie of the Year/World Series champion Todd Hollandsworth, Chris “Mad Dog” Russo and others

NEW YORK – December 3, 2014 – SiriusXM will broadcast live from the Baseball Winter Meetings in San Diego, CA, starting Sunday, December 7, through Thursday, December 11, offering listeners nationwide a place to get the latest news and participate in a daily in-depth discussion on free agents, trades and other ‘Hot Stove’ topics from Major League Baseball.

Two of SiriusXM’s exclusive sports talk channels - MLB Network Radio (Sirius channel 209, XM channel 89) and Mad Dog Sports Radio (SiriusXM channel 85) - will broadcast live from San Diego, where club owners, front office executives, managers and many others from the major and minor leagues will be gathered to discuss offseason baseball business. 

SiriusXM’s hosts include experts in front office deals and decision-making - former general managers Jim Bowden, Jim Duquette and Steve Phillips – as well as former major league outfielder and World Series champion Todd Hollandsworth, who will provide a player’s perspective.  They will be joined by fellow MLB Network Radio hosts Mike Ferrin, Casey Stern, Jim Memolo and Scott Miller in San Diego, where they will interview many of the executives and managers in town, provide reports on the latest news, and talk with fans around the country about their team’s off-season needs.

Additionally, Christopher “Mad Dog” Russo will be in San Diego to host his daily radio and TV shows, Mad Dog Unleashed on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Sports Radio channel and High Heat on MLB Network.

The following programs will broadcast live from San Diego: (All times ET)

Sunday, Dec. 7

On MLB Network Radio:

4 pm – 7 pm: The Front Office with Jim Bowden and Jim Duquette

Monday, Dec. 8 – Wednesday, Dec. 10

On MLB Network Radio:

10 am – 1 pm: The Leadoff Spot with Steve Phillips and Todd Hollandsworth

1 pm – 2 pm: MLB Network’s High Heat with Christopher Russo

2 pm – 6 pm: Inside Pitch with Jim Bowden and Casey Stern

6 pm – 7 pm: MLB Network’s MLB Tonight

7 pm – 10 pm: Power Alley with Jim Duquette and Mike Ferrin

10 pm – 1 am: MLB Roundtrip with Jim Memolo and Scott Miller

On Mad Dog Sports Radio:

3 pm – 7pm: Mad Dog Unleashed with Christopher Russo

Thursday, Dec. 11

On MLB Network Radio:

10 am – 1 pm: The Leadoff Spot with Steve Phillips and Todd Hollandsworth

1 pm – 4 pm: Winter Meetings Wrap-up with Jim Bowden, Jim Duquette and Casey Stern

• Greg Pappas likes this

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:27 PM

MLB NETWORK SET TO AIR MOST COVERAGE EVER OF THE WINTER MEETINGS,

WITH MORE THAN 45 LIVE HOURS FROM SAN DIEGO

Wall-to-Wall Programming Begins This Sunday at 8:00 p.m. ET Featuring Insiders

Peter Gammons, Jon Heyman, Ken Rosenthal & Joel Sherman

December 3, 2014 – With one of Major League Baseball’s most anticipated offseason events approaching, MLB Network today announced it will televise more than 45 live hours of coverage over five days at the 2014 MLB Winter Meetings in San Diego next week, including interviews with managers and general managers throughout the league. The schedule will represent the most live coverage of the Winter Meetings in MLB Network’s six-year history.

Starting with MLB Tonight this Sunday, December 7 at 8:00 p.m. ET, MLB Network will feature updates and analysis on the latest trade and free agency rumors and news across all of its programming, led by its team of insiders including Peter Gammons (@pgammo), Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS), Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) and Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1).

From Monday, December 8 through Thursday, December 11, Matt Vasgersian, Harold Reynolds and Ron Darling will co-host Hot Stove, television’s only morning show dedicated to baseball, live at 11:00 a.m. ET, immediately followed by High Heat with Christopher Russo from 1:00-2:00 p.m. ET.

MLB Tonight, MLB Network’s signature studio show, will air each day live at 2:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. ET, featuring hosts Greg Amsinger and Chris Rose (@ChrisRose), analysts Ryan Dempster, Kevin Millar (@KMillar15), Dan Plesac (@Plesac19), Harold Reynolds, John Smoltz, and guest analyst and former MLB general manager Dan O’Dowd. MLB Tonight will air live at 3:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 11.

MLB Now, hosted by Brian Kenny with Ron Darling, Ryan Dempster, Peter Gammons, Jon Heyman and Joel Sherman, will air at 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. ET from Monday, December 8 through Wednesday, December 10. On-site editions of Intentional Talk, co-hosted by Chris Rose and Kevin Millar will air live at 5:00 p.m. ET from Monday, December 8 through Wednesday December 10, and at 2:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 12.

MLB Network will also televise the 2015 National Baseball Hall of Fame Golden Era election results announcement on Monday, December 8 live at 2:00 p.m. ET. Candidates on the ballot include Dick Allen, Ken Boyer, Gil Hodges, Bob Howsam, Jim Kaat, Minnie Minoso, Tony Oliva, Billy Pierce, Luis Tiant and Maury Wills.

Leading up to the Winter Meetings, MLB Network will debut MLB Network Roundtable presented by Delta Airlines: State of the Game this Friday, December 5, 9:00 p.m. ET. The latest edition in this roundtable series features Bob Costas, Dan Plesac, Bill Ripken, Ken Rosenthal and Tom Verducci reviewing the 2014 MLB season, including expanded replay, major player contracts, the rise of the modern bullpen, and proposed pace-of-play initiatives, plus a look ahead to the 2015 season.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

Nothing of significance.

Could Matusz get traded?  Sure.

#7 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,776 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

Well, he's got a few holes to fill now. Be interesting to see what happens, especially since he has six starting pitchers to play with. 

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:49 AM

The baseball winter meeting has become the most overrated and overhyped event in sports. Even more than the NFL draft. Nothing ever happens. It's a bunch of planted rumors that hit about 5% of the time.
  • Mike in STL, tennOsfan and FFH like this

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

I'll say this today....my perception of the offseason was (would be) that we'd re-sign Nick and wait out the last RHed bat on the market (Hart, Weeks, non-tenders Mayberry, Sanchez).

Not my favorite approach, I'd prefer to be more aggressive in shaping the roster for this year and the future, but with the success of the last 3 years WITHOUT any real shaping of the top of the roster, DD has certainly earned the right to continue it.  I got that.

I don't know how he follows that at this point.  With Nick in ATL and the BlueJays and RedSox loading up he may need to put on his GM pants and get more active (versus reactive) at these meetings.

1)  The Dodgers are the obvious team to work with.  I don't care if it's ....

A ) just Crawford/$ 

B ) Crawford/$ and Pederson

C ) Crawford/$ and Kemp

D ) Crawford/$, Ethier/$ and VanSlyke

the Dodgers need a trade partner badly and if you just spend 3 days hashing this out with them, you come back with something.  The Orioles have lost some leverage in this, but this is where relationships matter.  You have to be able to sit down and work win-win.

2) If you are going to trade Davis to the Marlins, go ahead and rip off the bandaid.

The Marlins need that power bat to pair with Stanton and look serious, they have the pitching to trade Heaney.

Davis for Garret Jones and Heaney

3) Depending on what you do with 1 and 2, you get the groundwork laid for a Reds or Phillies deal.

It may be the right time to start getting a little more dynamic.

#10 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:12 AM

I don't know how he follows that at this point.  With Nick in ATL and the BlueJays and RedSox loading up he may need to put on his GM pants and get more active (versus reactive) at these meetings.

I don't think DD ever takes off his GM pants.  I think he sleeps in them.  

Plus, I don't think much gets done at these meetings... they just go to a nice place and spitball ideas, that's all.   They do stuff either before or after...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

The baseball winter meeting has become the most overrated and overhyped event in sports. Even more than the NFL draft. Nothing ever happens. It's a bunch of planted rumors that hit about 5% of the time.

The event is great if you are not using moves made as a barometer of the event. You gather everyone inside the game, and the most prevalent people covering the game.... and you get 3+ days of interesting baseball talk just as Winter takes hold.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

Right, every industry has conventions.  And the success or impact of those conventions isn't measured solely in the business that gets done while the convention is ongoing.

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

Well as fans who get nothing but BS rumors it sucks

#14 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

Who will be this years Dana Eveland? 

• Markus likes this

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

Well as fans who get nothing but BS rumors it sucks

Well... there will be a ton of that.  I don't enjoy all the rumors (not just from the 14 year olds trying to 'break' news, but legitimate reporters who are being fed misinformation)...  but I do like all of the MLB discussion as a whole though.

• Tyler Bingaman likes this

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:49 PM

Sports on Earth: 10 Bold Winter Meeting Predictions

http://www.sportsone...31912-658620023

#17 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

MLBTR: Yankees Trade For Didi Gregorius in three team trade.

http://www.mlbtrader...cks-tigers.html

The Yankees, Diamondbacks and Tigers have completed a three-team trade that will send Didi Gregorius to the Yankees, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter link). Rosenthal adds that Robbie Ray will indeed go from the Tigers to the Diamondbacks and Shane Greene will be heading to the Tigers. WFAN’s Sweeny Murti first reported the potential framework and noted that Greene would head to Detroit if the deal were to be completed. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic first tweeted that Ray could be headed to Arizona.

That Fister trade was terrible for the Tigers. Although Greene is an interesting starter. Does mean that the Tigers may be willing to trade Porcello or Price if they get another starter in return (Norris).

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Yankees Trade For Didi Gregorius in three team trade.

....not that it matters, but this was (for me) always the most likely option (trade) for filling the few SS needs out there.....were the yankees going to trade Greene for Gregorius....of commit 4/50 to Hardy.....

I'd have put the Yankee odds on going after Castro or Profar....but there are still a lot of SS trade options out there (heck AZ has one more)

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:23 AM

Grantland: MLB Winter Meetings Primer: Five Questions to Ponder (Including the Annual Matt Kemp Murmurs, Obvs)

http://grantland.com...rting-pitchers/

#20 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

I hope something fun happens, call me a baseball mark

Every year we hope they do something fun, I think this year it happens. We lost Nick, if our teams leadership doesn't see that the fans and players are completely outraged, then they are just silly. I think they are smart men though, that's why they do what they do and I supervise a machine shop. I have faith in Dan to get things done and keep this team in the running.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@bings012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=