• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

I said in the Tampa Bay series preview, that I would like to see Hoes added to the 40 man (dropping Phillips), and getting the promotion. I'd put him in LF, and Chavez in RF.

That does not seem like it will happen. The local reporters are stating that even though Avery could be brought back up to replace an injured player, that will not happen.

MASN's Kubatko says this morning (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1397) that the options are:

Bill Hall
Lew Ford
Jamie Hoffman
Jai Miller
and
Miguel Tejada

None of those 5 are on the 40 man roster, so someone would have to be removed.

I like Hall, and would not be opposed to him.

I wish Miller was doing something, but I can't see promoting him. While he has 3 homers in the last 4 games, he is still batting under .200, is 5 for his last 35 (2 bb's, 18 k's), and has struck out 81 times overall in 155 ab's. You can not reward that.

Tejada has been hitting some at Norfolk, but I still don't think he makes sense with this roster.

Lew Ford has been ripping in his 57 ab's with Norfolk, but I would still prefer to see Hoes.

#2 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

It looks like Bill Hall will be called up......

Eduardo A. Encina‏@EddieInTheYard
#Orioles will purchase contract of INF/OF Bill Hall today and add him to 25-/40-man rosters, according to a club source.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@MKlein76

#3 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

I know Hall just got called up to fill in for Markakis but I don't think he can handle an everyday OF job. He has a 39%(!) strikeout rate in AAA. That's beyond awful, and is unlikely to improve against better pitching in the majors.

I would rather Avery have gotten another shot. I know he wasn't hitting a ton, but I like his approach at the plate. He also drew some walks, played good defense and was an asset on the basepaths. I'd rather have a guy like that than Hall who strikes out a ton, and played pretty terrible defense the last time he had a chance to in 2010.
@BSLKevinEbert

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

I know Hall just got called up to fill in for Markakis but I don't think he can handle an everyday OF job. He has a 39%(!) strikeout rate in AAA. That's beyond awful, and is unlikely to improve against better pitching in the majors.

I would rather Avery have gotten another shot. I know he wasn't hitting a ton, but I like his approach at the plate. He also drew some walks, played good defense and was an asset on the basepaths. I'd rather have a guy like that than Hall who strikes out a ton, and played pretty terrible defense the last time he had a chance to in 2010.

The reality is one of Hall or Ford and Avery should have gotten the call.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,537 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

I think Roch or Britt alluded to the fact that Showalter wanted Avery down for a while to work on some things. One thing was that he started trying to pull the ball every time.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

Give Avery more time in AAA, before he gets another shot.
@levineps

#7 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

I think Roch or Britt alluded to the fact that Showalter wanted Avery down for a while to work on some things. One thing was that he started trying to pull the ball every time.

I don't know. I could see if he was hacking at everything and had a poor approach at the plate...but he wasn't doing that. He can work on going the opposite way in batting practice if he needs to work on that. With his numbers in AAA, I don't think he has a lot to learn there. He's only going to learn by getting major league at bats, and this is a perfect opportunity to give them to him. Reimold and Markakis are injured now, and he's better than Hall, Flaherty and Chavez IMO. If he will benefit from getting the major league playing time - I think you give it to him. He only had 68 PA's with the Orioles. Still a SSS. He may hit better than we think.

I don't see any need to see what Bill Hall can do. He's old, he strikes out a ton, and plays poor defense. I'm not interested.
@BSLKevinEbert

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

I don't know. I could see if he was hacking at everything and had a poor approach at the plate...but he wasn't doing that. He can work on going the opposite way in batting practice if he needs to work on that. With his numbers in AAA, I don't think he has a lot to learn there. He's only going to learn by getting major league at bats, and this is a perfect opportunity to give them to him. Reimold and Markakis are injured now, and he's better than Hall, Flaherty and Chavez IMO. If he will benefit from getting the major league playing time - I think you give it to him. He only had 68 PA's with the Orioles. Still a SSS. He may hit better than we think.

I don't see any need to see what Bill Hall can do. He's old, he strikes out a ton, and plays poor defense. I'm not interested.

Avery isn't a MLer right now and I doubt he ever will be, at least on an everyday basis.

If the thought is to send him down, let him work on things and see how he responds, I see nothing wrong with that.

#9 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Avery isn't a MLer right now and I doubt he ever will be, at least on an everyday basis.

If the thought is to send him down, let him work on things and see how he responds, I see nothing wrong with that.

You can't say that Avery is not a major leaguer right now based on a low batting average in 68 plate appearances. That's silly. That's what, 15 games? Give the kid a chance to play before you declare he's not a major leaguer. He'd need maybe 1,000 plate appearances before you can make claims as to what he is or isn't.
@BSLKevinEbert

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Still think Hoes made the most sense. He's been cold lately, but the plate discipline has remained strong.

Regarding Hall, he is certainly limited, but he would have been my 2nd choice. With him, the O's have 3 players (Tolleson, Flaherty) that are capable of playing 2nd, 3rd, SS, LF... with Flaherty also an option for RF. That versatility should help when the O's play the inter-league portion of their schedule.

I still think Hall has a little pop left as well, and would not be surprised to see him play well for a couple of weeks. Ultimately he will be exposed playing everyday (if he does), but do think he can help as a reserve.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think the replacement sort of depends on how long they truly think he'll be out. If it's really only 2-4 weeks, and if it's expected to be closer to the 2, then I'd likely just make due with Hall and Flaherty. If it's gonna be 4-8 weeks, then I think you need to look for someone better to help out.

There has gotta be a AAAA type corner outfielder toiling on someone's AAA roster as contingency depth that we could acquire for some cash or perhaps a C- prospect.

#12 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Way back in '09... Chase Headley played some outfield.
@bings012

#13 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

I think the replacement sort of depends on how long they truly think he'll be out. If it's really only 2-4 weeks, and if it's expected to be closer to the 2, then I'd likely just make due with Hall and Flaherty. If it's gonna be 4-8 weeks, then I think you need to look for someone better to help out.

There has gotta be a AAAA type corner outfielder toiling on someone's AAA roster as contingency depth that we could acquire for some cash or perhaps a C- prospect.

Corey Patterson still around? :D

#14 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

How about Soriano from the Cubs if they absorb most of his deal? Fangraphs has him above average still defensively.

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

How about Soriano from the Cubs if they absorb most of his deal? Fangraphs has him above average still defensively.

Don't see the sense in picking up a guy with two more years left on his deal beyond this year to fill in for a guy who should be out less than a month.

If Chicago were to pick up all of his salary, then it would make a little sense because he can then switch over to LF once Nick is back, but if they pick up all of his salary it would take a decent return in terms of prospects rather than just being a salary dump situation.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

You can't say that Avery is not a major leaguer right now based on a low batting average in 68 plate appearances. That's silly. That's what, 15 games? Give the kid a chance to play before you declare he's not a major leaguer. He'd need maybe 1,000 plate appearances before you can make claims as to what he is or isn't.

I am saying he isn't an everyday MLer because his skill set and approach...has nothing to do with his ML time up here.

#17 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Don't see the sense in picking up a guy with two more years left on his deal beyond this year to fill in for a guy who should be out less than a month.

If Chicago were to pick up all of his salary, then it would make a little sense because he can then switch over to LF once Nick is back, but if they pick up all of his salary it would take a decent return in terms of prospects rather than just being a salary dump situation.

Does this help?

from MLBTR.com

Cubs Will Consider Offers For Almost Every Player
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [May 31, 2012 at 6:31pm CST]
6:31pm: Castro is "first on the list of players [the Cubs] won't trade," according to a team that recently spoke to the Cubs, reports Danny Knobler of CBS Sports. Knobler also says the Cubs have told teams that they will cover as much as $45MM of the approximately $48MM remaining on Soriano's contract if the outfielder is moved (Twitter link).

#18 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

I would have liked to see Lew Ford get the call. He's the one who's actually hitting the ball at Norfolk, plus he's a natural outfielder. This leaves us with a rotation of Chavez, Hall, and Flaherty in the LF-RF unless Buck is dumb enough to put the statue called Wilson Betemit out there again. I say let's put Flaherty in RF everyday and see if he gets his bat going. Might as well. There's no good solution.

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

Markakis is here, a little groggy but joking around in clubhouse. Said goal is to be w. team on homestand 6/22-7/1. #orioles

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Still think Hoes made the most sense. He's been cold lately, but the plate discipline has remained strong.

Regarding Hall, he is certainly limited, but he would have been my 2nd choice. With him, the O's have 3 players (Tolleson, Flaherty) that are capable of playing 2nd, 3rd, SS, LF... with Flaherty also an option for RF. That versatility should help when the O's play the inter-league portion of their schedule.

I still think Hall has a little pop left as well, and would not be surprised to see him play well for a couple of weeks. Ultimately he will be exposed playing everyday (if he does), but do think he can help as a reserve.

Boom, beat me to it. I said before I'd rather see Hoes before Avery next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=