41 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

The secondary could be disastrously thin in 2016....especially if Likely leaves early, which would mean 7 of 8 projected players on the 2-deep will have to be replaced. And they only signed 1 DB in this year's class. It seems like they are always a step behind when it comes to recruiting positions of need.

#22 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

The secondary could be disastrously thin in 2016....especially if Likely leaves early, which would mean 7 of 8 projected players on the 2-deep will have to be replaced. And they only signed 1 DB in this year's class. It seems like they are always a step behind when it comes to recruiting positions of need.

D'Andre Payne will be more than ready to start in 2016, as will Jarrett Ross. Josh Woods will be a solid backup, as will Darnell Savage. Then you have Daniel Ezeagwu, who will also be a solid backup.

Safety will be a bit more of a concern, but I like Milan Collins at free safety. Also remember that the 3-4 defense uses fewer cornerbacks, as it rarely uses a nickel. The linebackers are counted on to stay on the field all 3 downs, no matter the situation.

@BSLZackKiesel

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

ESPN: Maryland Terrapins Position Battles

http://espn.go.com/b...attles-maryland

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#24 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

I've updated the depth chart to reflect the Terrapins' move to a 4-3 defensive scheme under new defensive coordinator Keith Dudzinski.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

I'm excited about having Ngakoue, and Aniebonam starting opposite of each other.

• Greg Pappas and BSLZackKiesel like this

#26 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:01 PM

Depth chart has been updated to reflect Sean Davis' move to cornerback.

@BSLZackKiesel

#27 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

Re-did my offensive line projection based on the latest comments from Coach Edsall that seem to indicate that Andrew Zeller will start at RG and Michael Dunn will start at RT. I now have Damian Prince shifting inside to LG, while Derwin Gray starts at LT. I've also got Evan Mulrooney moving back to center.

@BSLZackKiesel

#28 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

Depth chart has been updated to reflect Marcus Leak's departure. I see Taivon Jacobs taking over his flanker receiver spot, with D.J. Moore backing him up.

@BSLZackKiesel

#29 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:31 AM

Depth chart has been updated to reflect Juwann Winfree's suspension. I now see Malcolm Culmer backing up Amba Etta-Tawo at the split end spot.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#30 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland football's first 2015 depth chart includes a 3-way battle at QB

http://www.testudoti...-2015-preseason

@BSLZackKiesel

#31 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

Updated the projected two-deep to reflect some of the things I noticed on the fall camp chart. I also removed all "or" distinctions to show who I believe will be the primary starter at each position.

@BSLZackKiesel

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

You guys expect Daxx to the the starter in the opener? Good enough to go to a pass happy place like OKST, probably better than what MD has in Rowe and Hills, no?

I just feel like Rowe and Hills are not the answer to winning meaningful games, and maybe trying to win 9, dare I say 10 games in this conference.
@BSLMikeRandall

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

You guys expect Daxx to the the starter in the opener? Good enough to go to a pass happy place like OKST, probably better than what MD has in Rowe and Hills, no?

I just feel like Rowe and Hills are not the answer to winning meaningful games, and maybe trying to win 9, dare I say 10 games in this conference.

I didn't watch any OSU games, but looking at the numbers Garman seems like a carbon copy of Rowe. I don't imagine there is much difference between the two. Best hope for MD to finally get some decent quarterbacking someday is that Haskins sticks to his commitment, and then lives up to the hype.

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

And it's good to see Prince back outside at tackle and on top of the depth chart. Sure hope Gray gets healthy sooner than later, Dunn has no business being a starter at this level. And did I miss something with Boulware? He's nowhere to be found.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

I didn't watch any OSU games, but looking at the numbers Garman seems like a carbon copy of Rowe. I don't imagine there is much difference between the two. Best hope for MD to finally get some decent quarterbacking someday is that Haskins sticks to his commitment, and then lives up to the hype.

I'm glad Garman is around to add depth, and another option... but agree he sounds similar to Rowe, and Rowe is the guy with experience in the system. So he should be considered the favorite.  Sure both will play, and with at-least Rowe (since I've seen him) I do think he is capable of helping. He will have limitations no doubt, but he can make some plays.

Garman did enough in the Big 12 that I'm glad he is around... he won't be overwhelmed when he gets the call.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:51 PM

I'm still bummed about Winfree.  Lot on the Jacobs brothers.

Agree with Birds... I sure hope Gray can quickly be ready.

The more plays with Ngakoue and Aniebonam on the field together, the better.

Likely is a big time return threat, but he's so important in the Secondary... almost afraid to use him in that capacity.

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:59 PM

Likely is a big time return threat, but he's so important in the Secondary... almost afraid to use him in that capacity.

I agree. I'd use Likely more sparingly on returns. One, because of his importance in the secondary, and two because I really do think this could be his last season at UM, so giving other guys some experience would be good for 2016 as well.

#38 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

And it's good to see Prince back outside at tackle and on top of the depth chart. Sure hope Gray gets healthy sooner than later, Dunn has no business being a starter at this level. And did I miss something with Boulware? He's nowhere to be found.

Boulware is obviously expected to redshirt his first year, as is Adam McLean.

@BSLZackKiesel

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

Boulware is obviously expected to redshirt his first year, as is Adam McLean.

That wasn't really my point. All the other incoming freshmen are listed on the chart somewhere, except Boulware. I'm wondering if it's just an oversight or if there is a reason for that.

#40 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

Garman is basically another Caleb Rowe. Same size, same gun-slinger mentality, same lack of mobility (though I think Rowe is a bit more mobile in the pocket). The problem is that this system is very different from Oklahoma State's. Gundy's offense isn't exactly "pass-happy", they run the ball about 50% of the time. They're more up-tempo and rely more on very short passes, which results in more attempts. Maryland will attempt to stretch the field vertically a good bit more, and rely much more heavily on the intermediate throws (10-15 yards). Rowe is a much better fit for this offense, especially with the move to a more power-based play-action attack.

• Mike in STL likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=