Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

BSL: Projecting the 2015 Depth Chart

http://baltimorespor...15-depth-chart/

My projected two-deep for the 2015 season is up. It makes a few assumptions (Stefon Diggs stays, Levern Jacobs and Moise Larose have their suspensions lifted), but is a good overall look at what I believe the team will look like next season. The offense returns most of its starters, but the defense loses quite a few among the front seven (like after the 2012 season). It's next-man-up time for Brian Stewart's unit, but there are some solid young players to step into starting roles.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:11 PM

Could Aniebonam move to DE, or WLB (or stay at SLB, with Ngakoue moving to WLB)? 

With his skill, and as much as he is playing now... seems like he needs to start and be on the field for as many snaps as possible next year.

Going to be interesting to see if Rowe is going to be able to be back in time for August. Figure he misses the Spring, right?

If so, that's a lot of snaps available for Hills and Cockerille.

Special Teams should be good.

WR's still capable even if Diggs does leave.

O-line being better depends on Prince, and Gray.

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

Could Aniebonam move to DE, or WLB (or stay at SLB, with Ngakoue moving to WLB)? 

With his skill, and as much as he is playing now... seems like he needs to start and be on the field for as many snaps as possible next year.

Going to be interesting to see if Rowe is going to be able to be back in time for August. Figure he misses the Spring, right?

If so, that's a lot of snaps available for Hills and Cockerille.

Special Teams should be good.

WR's still capable even if Diggs does leave.

O-line being better depends on Prince, and Gray.

Aniebonam won't move to DE. He's not nearly big enough to play DE in the 3-4, plus his skill-set would be completely wasted, as DEs in the 3-4 are run-stoppers, not pass-rushers. If he can improve his coverage skills, he could play WLB. But Brian Stewart likes a good cover guy at WLB (Matt Robinson, Alex Twine). Not out of the realm of possibility, though.

Rowe will miss most of camp, but I think he'll be able to come back in time. I'd expect Locksey to move him under-center a lot more and change the offense around a bit. Will still be based on spreading the field with 3-4 receivers, but you might see a bit more of a downhill running attack to make up for his lack of running ability.

Levern Jacobs and Jacquille Veii would be the two slot receivers if Diggs leaves. You also have DeAndre Lane, who I've been really high on.

@BSLZackKiesel

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

Bruce Smith was a DE in a 3-4, pretty decent pass rusher - but point taken. :)

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

I think Lane (fellow CHS) grad is a transfer candidate. Would like to see him stay around.

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:41 PM

Testudo Times: Suspended Maryland WR Levern Jacobs found not guilty of second-degree assault

http://www.testudoti...f-second-degree

The court reportedly determined he acted in self-defense. He'll use this season as a redshirt year and will have 2 years of eligibility remaining. Remember that his younger brother Taivon suffered a meniscus injury early in this season and will be back next year with 3 years of eligibility remaining. Levern is a slot receiver, Taivon plays on the outside.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Depth chart has been updated to include Adam McLean as a co-starter with David Shaw at NT.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Should Jones be added as well? Being a JUCO, would think he would get immediate PT.

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

Should Jones be added as well? Being a JUCO, would think he would get immediate PT.

Good point. Probably ends up as Braglio's backup at SDE. But if he can improve his ability to set the edge, his size may play a bit better at WDE.

@BSLZackKiesel

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

Good point. Probably ends up as Braglio's backup at SDE. But if he can improve his ability to set the edge, his size may play a bit better at WDE.

See TT is listing Jones at LB... I think I like him better at one of the ends.

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

See TT is listing Jones at LB... I think I like him better at one of the ends.

No way he ends up at LB. He's 6-7, 283. He's got the size you need to play DE in the 3-4.

@BSLZackKiesel

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

At LB, I'm good with SLB - 1. Yannick Ngakoue, 2. Jesse Aniebonam

Give us some thoughts on this group:

ILB - 1. Jermaine Carter, Jr., 2. Brock Dean
ILB - 1. Abner Logan, 2. Jalen Brooks
WLB - 1. Cavon Walker, 2. Avery Thompson

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:09 PM

At LB, I'm good with SLB - 1. Yannick Ngakoue, 2. Jesse Aniebonam

Give us some thoughts on this group:

ILB - 1. Jermaine Carter, Jr., 2. Brock Dean
ILB - 1. Abner Logan, 2. Jalen Brooks
WLB - 1. Cavon Walker, 2. Avery Thompson

Yeah, all of this season's starting LBs are graduating. But there are some guys with good experience behind them.

Abner Logan is ready to make a big impact. He was a 4-star recruit in 2012, redshirted his 1st year, and played a role on special teams in each of his previous two seasons. He'll step into L.A. Goree's role on defense. Jalen Brooks is his backup. Brooks was a 3-star recruit in 2013. He redshirted his first season and played a role on special teams this season. He's also gotten some playing time on defense due to injuries over the past year.

Jermaine Carter is another guy I'm pretty high on. He's really bulked up since he got to Maryland, and is ready to take over the run-stopping role that we've seen Cole Farrand take on over the past 3-4 seasons. He was a 3-star recruit in 2013, redshirted his first season, and played a role on special teams and a bit on defense this season. Brock Dean was a 3-star recruit in 2012, redshirted his first season, and has played a role on special teams the past 2 years. He always stands out to me in practices and scrimmages. He's an incredibly hard worker, and will be a solid backup to Carter.

I see Cavon Walker beating out Avery Thompson for Matt Robinson's job. Walker was a 3-star recruit in 2013. He played a big role on special teams in his freshman year, and saw significant time on defense this season when Robinson was injured and Alex Twine had shifted inside. He's bulked up quite a bit since he got to Maryland, but still has the agility and cover skills necessary to play the WLB position in the 3-4. Avery Thompson has been around for what seems like forever, and 2015 will be his final season in College Park. He was a 2-star recruit in 2012, and has played a big role on special teams ever since he got here. I just see Walker as having more upside, and Thompson as a good role player and special teamer.

• Adam Wolff and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

Testudo Times: Predicting Maryland football's 2015 depth chart: Part 1, offense

http://www.testudoti...rt-2015-offense

Pete has some differences in his projected depth chart. He sees Marcus Leak starting at split end and Taivon Jacobs at flanker, while I see Amba Etta-Tawo starting at split end and Leak at flanker. He also sees a different starting line of Larose-Dunn-Mulrooney-Zeller-Gray, while I see it being Prince-Mulrooney-Grommer-Dunn-Gray.

We see eye to eye on the QB, RB, FB, and TE positions.

@BSLZackKiesel

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Testudo Times: Predicting the 2015 Defense

http://www.testudoti...rt-2015-defense

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

Testudo Times: Rowe will have two more years of eligibility, Randy Edsall says

http://www.testudoti...all-eligibility

#17 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

Testudo Times: Rowe will have two more years of eligibility, Randy Edsall says

http://www.testudoti...all-eligibility

Huge news. Got a medical redshirt for his 2012 season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:44 PM

IMS: Adams, Larose not listed on Maryland's roster

http://maryland.247s...Roster-35467768

#19 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:31 PM

Depth chart has been updated to reflect the 2015 recruiting class and Larose's departure. I've got Sean Christie as the backup LT, but if Prince (or whoever starts there) goes down, there would simply be shuffling along the rest of the line.

@BSLZackKiesel

#20 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

Interestingly, Testudo Times has projected Sean Davis to move from strong safety to cornerback this season. While he did alright in that role late last season, I think Alvin Hill is more than capable of starting across from William Likely. I could definitely see A.J. Hendy playing a lot of nickel cornerback this season, though. I also like Jarrett Ross as a young player who could really make a difference in the secondary this year. D'Andre Payne joining the team will be big in 2016, as Hill (and possibly Likely) move on.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=