10 replies to this topic

#1 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

SO we know what is going on here. We have lost 8 of 10 and 5 in a row. Not good at all but I think we get up for this one vs Tampa. Listen, the AL East has really tightened but bottom line is we are still tied for 1st with the team we play this weekend. I think that actually will help focus us. The day off tomorrow will help as well. Clear the mind, good thoughts, realize we are still in 1st place and have our 2 hottest SP going Friday and Saturday and lets go play Tampa tough. Not going to predict how many we win or lose but I would be surprised if we don't show up down there.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

I'll buy into that, if the news on Markakis is not horrible.

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

I certainly hope so, but my optimism has fallen off considerably.

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

As well it should. I don't have a very good feeling about anything relatively long term right now but I think we find a way to play Tampa tough this weekend.

#5 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

I hear that.

A week ago I felt like it would be nearly impossible for the O's to lose more than 2 or 3 in a row. Now, I can't imagine how they'd put it all together to win a few in a row.

This season is just a loooooong roller coaster of emotions.

@AdamWolff

#6 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

What we have to keep in mind is the fact that the baseball season is 162 games long and it can be a real grind sometimes. This team found a way to come back from being swept by the Yankees early on when no one believed in them - I'm sure they'll find a way to keep themselves on top of the division and get back on track against the Rays.

Hell, the Red Sox were way under .500 just three weeks ago and now look at them. Actually looking like a competent baseball team again.

#7 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

On this date during the last season the O's won a WS, they were just barely past a 7-game losing streak... and they still had another 7-game losing streak to go through later in the season. Buck up, Paco, this is baseball, you gotta pace yourself or it'll make you nuts...

My Dad is 92... he went to the O's very first OD in '54... I talked with him on the phone about an hour ago... he was talking about how great the O's were doing so far... his comment on the last week was the same as what he always says when they hit a rough patch: "Baseball's not for sissies." If a guy who's 92 can take it, we can too ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

Price, Moore,Hellickson

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

I think we should see better pitching from our guys in this series at least. It'll be tough to get to their starters, but with the power throughout this lineup we don't need several sustained rallies to put 4-5 runs on the board.

Wieters breaking out of his slump would go a long ways towards turning this recent skid around. It only takes a couple days to go from cold to hot, both individually and as a team. I mean, we weren't even really playing badly up until these last 3 games.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

Price, Moore,Hellickson

No excuses, we gotta win 2 of 3.
@levineps

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

I would be very happy if they won one game in this series.

The bottom line is things are very ugly offensively for the team right now. Even if Nick is told he is ok, I have to think he sits for a few games, especially with 2 tough lefties in the series.

Reynolds could have a big series...He is seeing the ball very well right now but outside of him and maybe Jones, I am not thinking anyone is going to be that good in this series.

While Davis was very good vs lefties the other day, he is generally poor vs lefties. Hardy is 2 for his last 12...He may be another one you could rely on but if he is in a mini slump, tough to get out of it against that rotation.

And then we have guys like Andino, Flaherty, Chavez, etc...Guys who just shouldn't play everyday and have had their struggles.

A wild card for the team may be Paulino. Probably should have him catch one game vs Price or Moore(and Wieters DH that game) and maybe Paulino DH's the other game.

Either way, between the defense taking another hit with Nick likely out and the offense struggling or missing key parts, this could be an ugly series. I don't think the Orioles get blown out but I could see a lot of 3-1 type losses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=