Photo

Lottery


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#21 mweb08

mweb08

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,433 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Why won't Davis get rid of the uni-brow?

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

The team that the NBA owns wins the lottery. Conspiracy!

You know it's going to be talked about.

Charlotte should take Beal....may be best player in draft.

Wizards get MKG or Beal....either way, they are in good shape.

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

    I Miss McNulty

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,865 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

I admittedly don't know a lot about Beal, so I'll have to read up on him, but I really hope the Wiz get MKG. They need a swing man. Nene and Blatche aren't incredible up front but they're at least serviceable.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33


#24 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

    I Miss McNulty

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,865 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

The team that the NBA owns wins the lottery. Conspiracy!


To be honest, I'm just glad that complete D-Bag Dan Gilbert didn't win it. It's bad enough they got an amazing #1 overall pick last year in Irving, I don't think I could have stood it if they won the lotto again.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33


#25 mweb08

mweb08

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,433 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

The team that the NBA owns wins the lottery. Conspiracy!


To be honest, I'm just glad that complete D-Bag Dan Gilbert didn't win it. It's bad enough they got an amazing #1 overall pick last year in Irving, I don't think I could have stood it if they won the lotto again.


It wouldn't have bothered me that much, but I agree that Gilbert is a D-Bag and I don't wish him success.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

I admittedly don't know a lot about Beal, so I'll have to read up on him, but I really hope the Wiz get MKG. They need a swing man. Nene and Blatche aren't incredible up front but they're at least serviceable.

6'8" shooting guard who can shoot lights out and is very athletic. Bilas rates him just ahead of MKG.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

The team that the NBA owns wins the lottery. Conspiracy!


To be honest, I'm just glad that complete D-Bag Dan Gilbert didn't win it. It's bad enough they got an amazing #1 overall pick last year in Irving, I don't think I could have stood it if they won the lotto again.

Yea, he is the worst but would have been sweet to see Kyrie and Davis..wonder if Kyrie ends up playing with Barnes?

#28 mweb08

mweb08

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,433 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:51 PM



To be honest, I'm just glad that complete D-Bag Dan Gilbert didn't win it. It's bad enough they got an amazing #1 overall pick last year in Irving, I don't think I could have stood it if they won the lotto again.

Yea, he is the worst but would have been sweet to see Kyrie and Davis..wonder if Kyrie ends up playing with Barnes?


Maybe if they trade down. He's not worthy of the #4 pick imo.

And where are you getting that Beal is 6'8?

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

    Owner

  • Administrators
  • 157,115 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

6'8" shooting guard who can shoot lights out and is very athletic. Bilas rates him just ahead of MKG.


Yeah, like Mweb just said... he's 6'4.

Article on Beal: http://www.mlive.com...te_sub-par.html

#30 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

    I Miss McNulty

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,865 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Beal apparently compares to Eric Gordon (hopefully without the injury baggage). If that's the case I'd have a hard time turning down a Wall/Beal back court for the near future. Then maybe amnesty Lewis and offer Dwight Howard a max deal? Maybe? Haha.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33


#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:22 PM


Yea, he is the worst but would have been sweet to see Kyrie and Davis..wonder if Kyrie ends up playing with Barnes?


Maybe if they trade down. He's not worthy of the #4 pick imo.

And where are you getting that Beal is 6'8?

I thought I remembered him being that tall...not sure where I got that from.

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Another guy I like a lot is Jeremy Lamb.

#33 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

    Rookie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

The team with the worst record in the league hasn't made the first pick since the Magic took Dwight Howard in 2004. There's something very wrong with that. I don't think there should be as many teams in the lottery as there are, and I think the odds should be stacked more in favor of the worse teams.

So, for example, maybe there should be only 7 teams in the lottery instead of 13. And then from those 7, the team with the worst record would have a 33% chance (instead of 25% now), the #2 team a 25% chance, and the #3 team a 20% chance. That way, the top 3 have a 78% chance, leaving only 22% for the other 4 teams (12-6-3-1).

In this scenario, the 7th worst team would have a 1-in-100 chance of getting the top pick. And the worst team would be a near lock to get one of the top 3 picks.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak


#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

The team with the worst record in the league hasn't made the first pick since the Magic took Dwight Howard in 2004. There's something very wrong with that. I don't think there should be as many teams in the lottery as there are, and I think the odds should be stacked more in favor of the worse teams.

So, for example, maybe there should be only 7 teams in the lottery instead of 13. And then from those 7, the team with the worst record would have a 33% chance (instead of 25% now), the #2 team a 25% chance, and the #3 team a 20% chance. That way, the top 3 have a 78% chance, leaving only 22% for the other 4 teams (12-6-3-1).

In this scenario, the 7th worst team would have a 1-in-100 chance of getting the top pick. And the worst team would be a near lock to get one of the top 3 picks.

I got no problem with this, it says that just because you are horrible, doesn't mean you'll get rewarded.
@levineps

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

    I Miss McNulty

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,865 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

The team with the worst record in the league hasn't made the first pick since the Magic took Dwight Howard in 2004. There's something very wrong with that. I don't think there should be as many teams in the lottery as there are, and I think the odds should be stacked more in favor of the worse teams.

So, for example, maybe there should be only 7 teams in the lottery instead of 13. And then from those 7, the team with the worst record would have a 33% chance (instead of 25% now), the #2 team a 25% chance, and the #3 team a 20% chance. That way, the top 3 have a 78% chance, leaving only 22% for the other 4 teams (12-6-3-1).

In this scenario, the 7th worst team would have a 1-in-100 chance of getting the top pick. And the worst team would be a near lock to get one of the top 3 picks.


Do you have an issue with how last night turned out? The worst team is picking 2nd, the 2nd worst team is picking 3rd and the 4th worst team is picking 1st.

I haven't crunched the #s but I'd guess that most years the upper part of the draft is mostly populated with the worst teams in the league. What the league is trying to avoid is absolute, unabashed tanking. If you give the worst team TOO high odds over the 2nd and 3rd worst teams, then you may as well not even have a lottery because the teams will all tank (and it's VERY easy to tank in the NBA; throw a couple "DNP- Coach's Decision" in the box score and you pretty much have a guaranteed loss).

The system isn't perfect, but it's not like average or even slightly below average teams are often receiving the top pick. The most recent one I can remember is the Bulls getting Derrick Rose.

It's also worth noting that, generally, after the #1 pick, often drafts are varied in where the "good" selections are. So team drafting 6th or 7th may end up with the better player than the teams going 2nd or 3rd.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33


#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

I haven't crunched the #s but I'd guess that most years the upper part of the draft is mostly populated with the worst teams in the league. What the league is trying to avoid is absolute, unabashed tanking. If you give the worst team TOO high odds over the 2nd and 3rd worst teams, then you may as well not even have a lottery because the teams will all tank (and it's VERY easy to tank in the NBA; throw a couple "DNP- Coach's Decision" in the box score and you pretty much have a guaranteed loss).

How many of these coaches that are supposedly tanking are coming back the following year? If they were DNP's, the colluding probably comes from higher up.
@levineps

#37 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

    Rookie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

Do you have an issue with how last night turned out? The worst team is picking 2nd, the 2nd worst team is picking 3rd and the 4th worst team is picking 1st.

I haven't crunched the #s but I'd guess that most years the upper part of the draft is mostly populated with the worst teams in the league. What the league is trying to avoid is absolute, unabashed tanking. If you give the worst team TOO high odds over the 2nd and 3rd worst teams, then you may as well not even have a lottery because the teams will all tank (and it's VERY easy to tank in the NBA; throw a couple "DNP- Coach's Decision" in the box score and you pretty much have a guaranteed loss).

The system isn't perfect, but it's not like average or even slightly below average teams are often receiving the top pick. The most recent one I can remember is the Bulls getting Derrick Rose.

It's also worth noting that, generally, after the #1 pick, often drafts are varied in where the "good" selections are. So team drafting 6th or 7th may end up with the better player than the teams going 2nd or 3rd.


Last night, not so much, other than it seems rigged toward the team that was, until very recently, owned by the NBA.

Notice that I didn't make my suggestion overly weighted toward the worst team. The worst 3, yes. But does the 7th worst team really even need a shot at the #1 pick? If they only did a lottery among the 5 worst teams, and they slightly weighted it in favor of the worse teams (25-22.5-20-17.5-15), I'd have no complaint whatsoever.

I just don't understand the need for them to give a shot to the 13th worst team just because they failed to make the playoffs. And the fact that the 13th worst team not only has a shot at the 1st overall pick, but can steal the 2nd or 3rd pick just as easily really annoys me.

It seems to me that the reason you have a commissioner is to ensure that teams can't get away with tanking. And if that's not enough, you have a serious issue in your league. To have to go so far as to tinker with your draft is pathetic. I suppose part of it is how easy it is to tank in basketball (and make it look legit), but it's also the amount of impact a single player can make. In football, it's harder to throw a game, and it's harder for one top player to make so much of a difference.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak


#38 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

    Rookie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

The team that the NBA owns wins the lottery. Conspiracy!


Saw a funny tweet on this:

If they were going to make an Ocean's 14, the plot would have Danny Ocean buying an NBA franchise and fixing the lottery.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak


#39 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

    I Miss McNulty

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,865 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Do you have an issue with how last night turned out? The worst team is picking 2nd, the 2nd worst team is picking 3rd and the 4th worst team is picking 1st.

I haven't crunched the #s but I'd guess that most years the upper part of the draft is mostly populated with the worst teams in the league. What the league is trying to avoid is absolute, unabashed tanking. If you give the worst team TOO high odds over the 2nd and 3rd worst teams, then you may as well not even have a lottery because the teams will all tank (and it's VERY easy to tank in the NBA; throw a couple "DNP- Coach's Decision" in the box score and you pretty much have a guaranteed loss).

The system isn't perfect, but it's not like average or even slightly below average teams are often receiving the top pick. The most recent one I can remember is the Bulls getting Derrick Rose.

It's also worth noting that, generally, after the #1 pick, often drafts are varied in where the "good" selections are. So team drafting 6th or 7th may end up with the better player than the teams going 2nd or 3rd.


Last night, not so much, other than it seems rigged toward the team that was, until very recently, owned by the NBA.

Notice that I didn't make my suggestion overly weighted toward the worst team. The worst 3, yes. But does the 7th worst team really even need a shot at the #1 pick? If they only did a lottery among the 5 worst teams, and they slightly weighted it in favor of the worse teams (25-22.5-20-17.5-15), I'd have no complaint whatsoever.

I just don't understand the need for them to give a shot to the 13th worst team just because they failed to make the playoffs. And the fact that the 13th worst team not only has a shot at the 1st overall pick, but can steal the 2nd or 3rd pick just as easily really annoys me.

It seems to me that the reason you have a commissioner is to ensure that teams can't get away with tanking. And if that's not enough, you have a serious issue in your league. To have to go so far as to tinker with your draft is pathetic. I suppose part of it is how easy it is to tank in basketball (and make it look legit), but it's also the amount of impact a single player can make. In football, it's harder to throw a game, and it's harder for one top player to make so much of a difference.


If the "top" 5 teams are the only ones with a shot at the #1 pick then I can pretty much guarantee you teams ranked 6-8 with two weeks left in the season will start tanking.

The reason all the non-playoff teams get a shot at the #1 pick is because, theoretically, every team would rather make the playoffs than be in the draft lotto. No team is going to tank if they have a shot at the playoffs, but a team that is in the middle of the abyss surely would rather tank to get into that "top" 5.

It wouldn't solve any problems. Also, the 14th team has, I believe, a .5% chance of getting the #1 pick. I'm fine with the 14th team getting the pick once out of every 200 drafts.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33


#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

    I Miss McNulty

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,865 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Also, re: Hornets. Two thoughts:

1) There are tons of conspiracy theories surrounding several lottery teams. If Sacramento won it it's because they're threatening to move. If Charlotte won it's because of pressure from MJ. If Cleveland won it's because of Dan Gilbert, etc etc.

2) The Hornets were already sold prior to the lottery so unless you're suggesting that Benson bought the Hornets with the understanding they'd receive the #1 pick I can see no reason as to why the NBA would want them to end up with Davis.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors


 width=