#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'm not even a big NBA fan, but for some reason I always get excited for the lottery. Anyone else share my interest in a bunch of ping pong balls?
@levineps

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,367 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Used to think it was cool, now think it is one of the worst things in sports.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Used to think it was cool, now think it is one of the worst things in sports.

Just prefer to go in inverse order of their records like the MLB/NFL for non-playoff teams?
@levineps

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

When you're a Wizards' fan the lottery is one of the highlights of your year.
  • DBean likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Yep seems to be a common theme, I loved Irene Pollin's reaction a few years back when we got the number one pick.
@levineps

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,367 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Just prefer to go in inverse order of their records like the MLB/NFL for non-playoff teams?

Yeah, I think it is criminal that Charlotte (7-59) could be bounced from that #1 spot for Houston (34-32). Obviously the odds become astronomical that it will happen, but I don't like that it could.

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

And remember, it's only for the top 3 picks. After the top 3 the rest of the order goes in inverse of record so there are really only 3 slots that are "up for grabs."

@bopper33

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Yeah, I think it is criminal that Charlotte (7-59) could be bounced from that #1 spot for Houston (34-32). Obviously the odds become astronomical that it will happen, but I don't like that it could.

I saw someone joke that for a team that doesn't do a lot of "winning," they'll have to win this (paraphrasing). Doesn't bother me at all. I don't think any team does this, but actually bothers me how teams who "royally suck" for a while get rewarded. Case and point: the Nats in the 2009/10 seasons, they arguably the best players in a generation in two consecutive years. It wouldn't bother me as much if you couldn't get the number one pick two years in a row, but I think the lottery is a fair way to ensure against collusion. Again that doesn't happen because players don't care about who will be in the team next year, but still.
@levineps

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

I don't disagree but it does stop you from tanking the end of a season.

Of course, I say who cares about that but a lot of people do.

#10 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

This.

I'm incredibly excited for the lottery tonight. It's not even so much about what pick the Wizards get, but after this, you can really start envisioning who they will be adding to the team. When you're a team as poor as the Wizards, this pick is going to be a guy that comes in and gets minutes right away.

@AdamWolff

#11 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

And for any Wizards fans, courtesy of bulletsforever.com, here are the Wizards odds for each pick they could get (1-5)

1. 19.9 percent
2. 18.8 percent
3. 17.1 percent
4. 31.9 percent
5. 12.3 percent

Fortunately this draft is very solid and, after Anthony Davis, the rest of the top 10 is really up for debate.

@AdamWolff

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Honestly, if the Wizards miss out on Davis and end up with MKG I will not be sad. I think MKG could end up being the best prospect in the draft, especially if Davis doesn't fill out into an NBA body and spends his days getting abused by bigger centers (can you imagine Davis trying his offensive game right now against Dwight Howard or Kendrick Perkins? Massacre.)

@bopper33

#13 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Honestly, if the Wizards miss out on Davis and end up with MKG I will not be sad. I think MKG could end up being the best prospect in the draft, especially if Davis doesn't fill out into an NBA body and spends his days getting abused by bigger centers (can you imagine Davis trying his offensive game right now against Dwight Howard or Kendrick Perkins? Massacre.)

I think JaVale has made me skeptical of athletic, skinny big men. I know Davis is more talented by a pretty wide margin (and especially when compared to a younger JaVale), but it's just in the back of my mind.

So yeah, I completely agree with you Pedro. I think Davis is the best player and has the best shot at being the best NBA player, but I'm not sure it's as much of a slam dunk as everyone seems to think. I'm a big fan of MKG as well. A lot of talk I've seen has matched the Wizards with Brad Beal. I honestly didn't get to watch him enough to formulate an opinion, but it's just further illustration of how muddied the waters are after the #1 pick. I think Beal could go anywhere from #2 to #10.

@AdamWolff

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Beal is the guy who is going to be a beast.

This is a really good draft.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

I saw someone joke that for a team that doesn't do a lot of "winning," they'll have to win this (paraphrasing). Doesn't bother me at all. I don't think any team does this, but actually bothers me how teams who "royally suck" for a while get rewarded. Case and point: the Nats in the 2009/10 seasons, they arguably the best players in a generation in two consecutive years. It wouldn't bother me as much if you couldn't get the number one pick two years in a row, but I think the lottery is a fair way to ensure against collusion. Again that doesn't happen because players don't care about who will be in the team next year, but still.

American professional sports is based on parity. If you are going to have that type of league, you need a system that funnels the best players to the worst teams to help them improve. That's why the drafts work like they do. It's also why the NBA has a lottery system in place, because it is the sport most likely to lend itself to the collusion you mention and needs this to balance things out.

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Shouldn't Davis primarily play the 4? You're right that he's likely not big enough to play against the big centers.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

American professional sports is based on parity. If you are going to have that type of league, you need a system that funnels the best players to the worst teams to help them improve. That's why the drafts work like they do. It's also why the NBA has a lottery system in place, because it is the sport most likely to lend itself to the collusion you mention and needs this to balance things out.

Really collusion can happen in any sport. The coaches who aren't going to be there, don't care about the players they won't coach. The players who are playing for their jobs, don't care about the teammates they won't have. I remember this being discussed with the "Bush Bowl" some years back when they thought Bush would go #1 (it was Mario Williams).

The NHL has a lottery system too, it's just more weighted from what I understand. I think with the new CBA in baseball, there's some sort of lottery for a handful of picks.

As I said I like the lottery system, it doesn't just reward bad teams for being bad. Some people understandably disagree with this and think bad teams should be rewarded with the top picks no matter what.
@levineps

#18 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Like Chris, I think the lottery is one of the dumbest things in sports. I understand that it prevents tanking, but I just think it's a crime that some of the "average" teams in the NBA could still be able to take the #1 pick. It should be given to the team who performed the worst the previous year.

But here I am, waiting to see what team's logo comes out of the letter. The popularity is there, so maybe it's worth keeping.

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

14. HOU
13. PHO
12. MIL
11. POR
10. NO
9. DET
8. TOR
7. GS
6. POR
5. SAC
4. CLE

Hornets, Wizards, Bobcats will be in top 3.

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

The team that the NBA owns wins the lottery. Conspiracy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=