#1 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 August 2024 - 10:50 AM

Discussed him several times earlier this season but we get to see him this weekend.

He would be my answer in CF for 2025 until Honeycutt (3-4 years).

He has an excellent speed-defense profile and the bat has been surprising this year.  He'd certainly be buying-high and I'm ok with that because of the fit.  The bottom half of his Statcast batting is why you think they could be some offensive regression (this is probably his high).

He's 26 (27 in May) and will be just under 2 years service after 2024 so he'll be a Super-2 heading into 2026. 

Cowser and Kjerstad are likely the comers for the O's next year.

The Rockies probably aren't doing much next year but will likely have Beck on a corner and they'll wait a couple years for this years top pick Charlie Condon on the other corner.

Making this a little bit simple for now, but the foundation of the trade (and go with more, but the 'other' doesn't really matter here) would be Bradfield for Doyle.

Bradfield gives them a better service alignment with Beck/Condon and offers even more sustainable speed/defense as a left-handed bat between those 2 RHers.

Doyle is a now player and provides a RHed bat between the O's LHers on the corners.

The Orioles only have a few questions for next season.  CF is one of them.  You could certainly leave Ced out there in his final year,  but I'd guess he'd rather move into another situation and I don't like developing players to get to developing players (ie Bradfield to Honeycutt). 

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 10:54 AM

Bradfield is landing you a 4 WAR CF with 5 years of control left?

Ok by me. I'm a Mullins fan as don't think we need a change, but couldn't say no to that.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:01 AM

Ok by me. I'm a Mullins fan as don't think we need a change, but couldn't say no to that.

Bradfield has 6 years of service time. Doyle has 5. Doyle is an elite defensive CF. Bradfield might be. Doyle has proven he can hit a little bit this year. The jury is out on Bradfield. I think the idea is fine but I think it takes more than Bradfield.

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:04 AM

I think the idea is fine but I think it takes more than Bradfield.

Like I said, I think it takes more and I'd be willing to go with more, just not trying to add too much "other" in here early.

Agree it takes more and we could discuss whatever that is.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:04 AM

Bradfield has 6 years of service time. Doyle has 5. Doyle is an elite defensive CF. Bradfield might be. Doyle has proven he can hit a little bit this year. The jury is out on Bradfield. I think the idea is fine but I think it takes more than Bradfield.

I don't think Bradfield gets you even halfway there.  Doyle has huge home/road splits, but historically that hasn't backed off the price of trying to acquire Colorado hitters all that much.

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:05 AM

I don't think an extra year of service time is going to be a key point in them desiring Bradfield over Doyle.

I'm always cautious of Colorado hitters, and Doyle has an OPS .300 points better at home than on the road. He's basically Cedric Mullins away from Coors Field with a better arm.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:08 AM

He's basically Cedric Mullins...with a better arm.

That sounds like a pretty damn good player.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:11 AM

Is Mountcastle the "more"?  That could work.

#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:14 AM

Cedric is still fine against RHP (.735 OPS), but he's become a total non-factor against LHP (.426 OPS). I'm probably just riding out with Ced for another year (with a RH platoon bat) (Slater for cheap?) and hoping Bradfield can take over in 2026.
  • RichardZ likes this

#10 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:15 AM

I don't think an extra year of service time is going to be a key point in them desiring Bradfield over Doyle.
I'm always cautious of Colorado hitters, and Doyle has an OPS .300 points better at home than on the road. He's basically Cedric Mullins away from Coors Field with a better arm.

Good point on the splits and 81 games in Coors vs. Waltimore are certain to cut down on his power numbers too.

#11 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:17 AM

If I’m Colorado, no.

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:17 AM

That sounds like a pretty damn good player.

So I think this is kind of right. 

We view Ced more of that .700-.725 OPS player.  He'd certainly have "move value" after his 30-30 season, but that's also an anomaly.  That was awesome and you'd love for him to do it again, but I don't think anyone would have ever paid for Ced, even after his 30-30 season as a 30-30 player with 3+years of control.

I view Doyle kind of the same way, but he's a RHed version with more service today.

Doyle is 6'4" and was never a top prospect.  At 27, if he posts something closer to .700, he loses a ton of value (like Ced did) which is still fine, but that's value lost to Colorado in a year they are probably doing less.

For the Rox, it might be more about alignment of the profiles, not just the years of control.  You start Bradfield's 6 years in a couple of years and align them with Condon, where you are burning your service with Doyle today in years where you are less competitive.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:19 AM

Cedric is still fine against RHP (.735 OPS), but he's become a total non-factor against LHP (.426 OPS). I'm probably just riding out with Ced for another year (with a RH platoon bat) (Slater for cheap?) and hoping Bradfield can take over in 2026.

I suspect they platoon Ced in '24 but its possible they just use Cowser out there

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:22 AM

I suspect they platoon Ced in '24 but its possible they just use Cowser out there

Fabian could be a good RH platoon with elite defense in a LH heavy OF, assuming the OF is something like Cowser/Mullins/Kjerstad next year. Also possible Santander is back, which would be nice with his switch hitting ability.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,462 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:23 AM

So lets "ride out 2025".....just when does the FO say enough is enough and we are wasting out window away and fix the holes we have and make this dang team better?

• CantonJester likes this

#16 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:24 AM

I don't think having Cedric Mullins starting in CF (predominantly against RHP) is necessarily punting away a season.
  • BobPhelan and makoman like this

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:26 AM

There are internal options after Ced. No interest in a 27 yr old whos numbers inflate because of Coors. Fabian can platoon with Ced and you have as good a player as Doyle. Doyle is listed at 6'4 , 220. He likely isnt long for CF. D will slip.

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:27 AM

I don't think directly, but (if we want to discuss this part of it), maybe indirectly.

I think 1B is another one of the Orioles decisions and we're likely looking at a Mayo-Holliday-Henderson-Westburg infield for 3M next year.

I think there's a number of good places for Mountcastle and we can expand and expand on the thoughts, but DC and PIT are both great options for RM and they both desperately need some quality production at 1B.

So if Mounty went to DC in a deal and we got a couple of guys including Yohandy Morales?

Does Bradfield, Creed Willems, Yohandy Morales and Alex Pham get it done? 

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:30 AM

Stop making trade proposals for next year now. This is stupid. Do this crap after the season is over.

#20 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:32 AM

It's just a shame that PC is an UFA and can't be included in any trade proposals with the Washington Baseball Team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=