• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,386 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 09:16 AM

As of this morning, ESPN has the Os chances of making the playoffs at 97%.

What odds do you give?

If you knew that the Orioles would have Rodriguez, Eflin, Westburg, Coulombe, Webb back by mid September... would you feel good about the Os chances of not just making the playoffs, but having the ability to win multiple playoff series?

#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,463 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 August 2024 - 09:21 AM

Percent to make playoffs? 75
Make the playoffs? Yes
Win multiple series? No

Too much hinges on when they get back and how effective will they be? Will Burnes turn it around? Will the offense get hot?

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 09:21 AM

90-95% to make the playoffs.  Would take an epic collapse to not make the postseason and I think we avoid that by quite a bit.  Might get dicey over the next week or two, but expect to bounce back and play better once we're into September.

I don't expect to do any meaningful damage in the playoffs.  They'd need to get hot, which they haven't been in over two months.  Possible, but not likely.  I'll be rooting for it and think it can happen, but I don't think advancing beyond the divisional series will be my expectation.  Will feel more confident if they can finish strongly.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,641 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 August 2024 - 09:30 AM

They’re making the playoffs but not winning a series. Winning a playoff game at all would be progress in that department though.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 09:34 AM

I dont get the thought process. Once in anything can happen. Things can change fast. Just make it. Im more worried about making it then acting all down and outs about our chances if we do make it.

I think we are still strongly likely to make it. 85%
  • fishteacher likes this

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 10:03 AM

If they continue to swim in the .500 part of the pool, they're giving the Yankees and Red Sox ample opportunity to pass them by.  It's that real.  

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 10:17 AM

If they continue to swim in the .500 part of the pool, they're giving the Yankees and Red Sox ample opportunity to pass them by. It's that real.

The Yanks are already past them. How many times do you need to be corrected on facts

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,772 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 August 2024 - 10:19 AM

65% they make the playoffs

Once they do (if they do) sure, anything goes.

Plenty of undeserving teams have won a WS just because they made the dance and things broke correctly.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 10:40 AM

They'll make the playoffs just because there are really no other great AL teams.

NY, Cleveland, Boston, Houston (even though they've owned us), Minnesota, and KC are all seriously flawed.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,386 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 10:45 AM

1.5 GB of NY in the East. 

Currently the lead Wild Card, 2 games up on Minnesota and KC. 

Boston 3.5 GB of Minnesota and KC. 

Win the East. 

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 10:58 AM

The Yanks are already past them. How many times do you need to be corrected on facts

I know the Yankees are in first place, simpleton.  I was talking about the two of them as a collective group of teams.  Don't be so dense. 

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,088 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:02 AM

Too tough right now to put a percentage on without knowing who currently on the IL is relatively certain to return before the end of Sept. If we’re talking about the current 26 though, I definitely give them less than a 97% chance.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:02 AM

Really only 4 teams vying for 3 wild card spots.  The O's are 2 up on KC and Minnesota and 5.5 up on Boston.  O's obviously still a chance at division, too. 

Can't implode.  Going from 2.50 ERA Burnes, Rodriguez, and Eflin to 12.50 ERA Burnes, Povich and Irvin is quite a step back.  Need Burnes back to normal ASAP and quick returns from Eflin and Grayson.  That and a few other things go right and we can be looking quite good come the postseason.  Bullpen will always be a bit of a weakspot but doesn't need to be a fatal flaw.

• makoman likes this

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:04 AM

Really only 4 teams vying for 3 wild card spots. The O's are 2 up on KC and Minnesota and 5.5 up on Boston. O's obviously still a chance at division, too.

Can't implode. Going from 2.50 ERA Burnes, Rodriguez, and Eflin to 12.50 ERA Burnes, Povich and Irvin is quite a step back. Need Burnes back to normal ASAP and quick returns from Eflin and Grayson. That and a few other things go right and we can be looking quite good come the postseason. Bullpen will always be a bit of a weakspot but doesn't need to be a fatal flaw.

Yup being a smaller race helps as does having the tiebreakers. Minn is still tbd on tiebreaker but we def have it on Bos and KC.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:11 AM

I know the Yankees are in first place, simpleton. I was talking about the two of them as a collective group of teams. Don't be so dense.

Thats not what you said. Also, be factual accurate more often. You have a problem with making incorrect statements

#16 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:20 AM

Thats not what you said. Also, be factual accurate more often. You have a problem with making incorrect statements

I think you wanted to say, "factually accurate."  You have a problem with grammar sometimes.  In any rate, stop hall monitoring and mind your own business.  How about that? 

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:31 AM

Im good. All the way around. Learn sports. Thats what the forum is about kid

#18 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:47 AM

90% to make the playoffs.  Might have a few fan freakouts because I do think the next 6 days could be a little rough.  HOU and LAD both playing very well and we...aren't.

But I think our softer September schedule helps us rebound.

Once we're in, who knows. I do fully expect the offense to pick it back up.  If Burnes keeps pitching like this we have little shot.  If Burnes goes back to being Burnes I'll take our chances against anyone.

#19 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:53 AM

They'll make the playoffs.  After that, tough to feel confident about a bullpen that can't hold leads in tight games.

• makoman likes this

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 12:00 PM

90% to make the playoffs. Might have a few fan freakouts because I do think the next 6 days could be a little rough. HOU and LAD both playing very well and we...aren't.

But I think our softer September schedule helps us rebound.

Once we're in, who knows. I do fully expect the offense to pick it back up. If Burnes keeps pitching like this we have little shot. If Burnes goes back to being Burnes I'll take our chances against anyone.

They could catch a second wind. The talent is still enough. And hopefully we get a few pieces back. Just get in. I said 90 wins preseason. I almost feel like I willed the bad luck into existence. I knew on paper we were better than last year but I also knew everything went right in the reg season last year and it would catch up with us this year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=