#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,463 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 August 2024 - 09:57 AM

Burnes needs to right his ship. 1 not very good and 2 awful starts in his last three. And it's probably the best chance tonight for a W. Make it happen.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 10:03 AM

Yeah I really wanna see Burnes back to normal. With the injuries to the other SP, we need him now even more than we've needed him all season.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 August 2024 - 10:27 AM

Burnes needs to right his ship. 1 not very good and 2 awful starts in his last three. And it's probably the best chance tonight for a W. Make it happen.

Out of curiosity, what is your barometer for a quality start?

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,463 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 August 2024 - 10:29 AM

An ERA under 4

#6 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 10:47 AM

An ERA under 4

Then you’re looking at radically altering the definition of a quality start. 6 IP and 3 ER means your SP pitched 2/3 of the game and your team is still in it. It’s not necessarily an elite start, but quality doesn’t necessarily mean elite. 

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 10:47 AM

An ERA under 4

League average ERA for SP this year is 4.18 and starters average 5.25 IP per start (under 5 1/3), just for some context.  Individual starts obviously have very wide ranges that all get added up into the composite.  

Can argue over the definition of quality, but if you combine the starters tasks of both getting as deep into the game as possible and preventing runs, I think 6 IP with 3 R is a quality start.  That's a little worse than average at preventing runs, but better than average at going deep.  Can change as league environment changes.  Consistently going 6 IP and 3 in the mid-90s could make you an All-Star.

#8 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 10:57 AM

League average ERA for SP this year is 4.18 and starters average 5.25 IP per start (under 5 1/3), just for some context.  Individual starts obviously have very wide ranges that all get added up into the composite.  

Can argue over the definition of quality, but if you combine the starters tasks of both getting as deep into the game as possible and preventing runs, I think 6 IP with 3 R is a quality start.  That's a little worse than average at preventing runs, but better than average at going deep.  Can change as league environment changes.  Consistently going 6 IP and 3 in the mid-90s could make you an All-Star.

Andy Pettitte +/- made a career out of doing that (and perhaps he’d be in Cooperstown if he didn’t mess around with HGH). 

#9 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,463 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 August 2024 - 11:03 AM

You asked me my opinion and I gave it. Bottom line for me is I am not crediting a quality start for less than average SP ERA.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 11:13 AM

You asked me my opinion and I gave it. Bottom line for me is I am not crediting a quality start for less than average SP ERA.

4.2 IP and 2 R?

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,463 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 August 2024 - 11:25 AM

If you really want to dive into it I would have some sort of a  sliding scale.

No such thing as a QS that doesn't go 5 IP. Hey a guy goes 4.2 and allows 0 runs. Terrific. Not a quality start.

Then 5-7 IP with an ERA of 4 or less.

Then 8 or 9 IP with 4 runs allowed.

This seems to be a reasonable expectation for quality when you factor in both runs allowed and pitching enough innings to not overly tax a bullpen. And I recognize that this goes against the long standing standard. I get that. Just never have liked it.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 11:42 AM

Fair enough.  Quality Start is a pretty useless stat, but the one thing it has going for it is its simplicity.  Making it more complex takes that away, but would also make it more meaningful.  Things like Game Score tries to do more of what you seem to be going after.

#13 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,463 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 August 2024 - 11:44 AM

Both Houston and LA are 7-3 in their last 10. We might be fortunate to go 3-4.

#14 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 11:55 AM

Fair enough.  Quality Start is a pretty useless stat, but the one thing it has going for it is its simplicity.  Making it more complex takes that away, but would also make it more meaningful.  Things like Game Score tries to do more of what you seem to be going after.

I consider the quality start to be a good litmus test as to the overall effectiveness of a starter as he relates to overall pitching staff performance. A higher % of QS = more stability and less volatility. 

#15 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 12:04 PM

Going to tonight, hopefully I can bring the spark.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 12:06 PM

I consider the quality start to be a good litmus test as to the overall effectiveness of a starter as he relates to overall pitching staff performance. A higher % of QS = more stability and less volatility. 

Its an ok quick first look.  I think it was more useful before IP went down.  6 IP is becoming less common now so lots of quality pitchers might have a lower percentage of quality starts than you'd expect.

#17 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 August 2024 - 12:50 PM

Both Houston and LA are 7-3 in their last 10. We might be fortunate to go 3-4.

Regarding Houston, 3 of those 10 game were against the White Sox (although they did lose one of them) and Boston took 2 of 3. The Astros arrive with a 2 game losing streak. Let's help them extend that ;)

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#18 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 01:00 PM

I think the Orioles win tonight.
  • Mackus likes this

#19 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 August 2024 - 02:51 PM

Its an ok quick first look.  I think it was more useful before IP went down.  6 IP is becoming less common now so lots of quality pitchers might have a lower percentage of quality starts than you'd expect.

Just because I was curious and thought it was an interesting point

2024 league-wide QS%: 37%

2014: 54%

2004: 47%

1994: 49%

1984: 52%

1974: 55%

1964: 54%

So it's definitely down, but feels wild that 2014 had the same hit rate as 1964 when I'm sure the innings per start was much higher in 1964

#20 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 02:53 PM

I just hope everyone has fun tonight. (Players and fans)
  • weird-O likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=