• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,762 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 08:09 PM

I'm good with it. O's have done a fine job developing offensive players. Getting way ahead of ourselves, but imagine Bradfield and Honeycutt in the same OF covering ground.

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 08:25 PM

Sounds like his draft profile is similar to a right-handed Kjerstad offensively, but with a better range and glove.

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 July 2024 - 08:27 PM

I'm totally good with whoever they pick this year.  The Draft Team discussed the Orioles being more in tune to who they want and why than any other team so that's a good thing.

They've had more focus on the Hit Tool as a primary and developing the athleticism and power, but - by all accounts - this kid is a tool box and like [Callis?] said....if he even becomes an average hitter he can be a 30-30 kid.

CF Defense can play as a floor, but you get to the rest of the tools, he could be a monster. 

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,325 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 08:33 PM

CBS Draft Tracker and Analysis
https://www.cbssport...w-updates-live/

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,325 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 08:35 PM

ESPN Draft Tracker and Analysis
https://www.espn.com...irst-round-pick

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,606 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 July 2024 - 08:54 PM

The strikeout rate is definitely worrisome, but sounds like they are going for the home run given the upside and ability to be patient with the talent already in stow.

#8 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 09:02 PM

The strikeout rate is definitely worrisome, but sounds like they are going for the home run given the upside and ability to be patient with the talent already in stow.

The defense gives him a very high floor as well. Even if he doesn't pan out as a hitter I'd say he has a pretty good chance to eventually see the big leagues as a defensive utility OF at least.

#9 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 09:03 PM

I think they might see him as the CFer in 2026.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,606 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 July 2024 - 09:05 PM

The defense gives him a very high floor as well. Even if he doesn't pan out as a hitter I'd say he has a pretty good chance to eventually see the big leagues as a defensive utility OF at least.

That’s what we said about Bradfield, too, which may be true. But we’ll see. I think we need to keep hitting on our top round picks. Despite the research Mackus has shown us.

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 July 2024 - 09:12 PM

In the draft thread I said I don't know anything about any draft eligible players. Just get me a RH hitting outfielder.

Check!
  • mdrunning likes this

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 09:46 PM

That’s what we said about Bradfield, too, which may be true. But we’ll see. I think we need to keep hitting on our top round picks. Despite the research Mackus has shown us.

I still think Bradfield might get there, but Honeycutt sounds like a better bat without sacrificing much defense.

I guess we'll see.

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,090 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 July 2024 - 10:12 PM

I like the upside play with a high floor.

#14 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 11:03 PM

Came across this interesting tidbit in a Baseball America article:

"In the bonus pool era (2012) there have been 106 hitters drafted from four-year colleges inside the first 30 picks. Among those hitters, only 13 have owned a career strikeout rate in college better than 20%. Honeycutt's 26.3 mark would set a new high for swing-and-miss proclivity."

Of those 13 hitters, one of them was none other than Jordan Westburg (2020, 22.28%).

• You Play to Win the Game and RichardZ like this

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 05:29 AM

Ok with it. Im not a fan of a hit tool this low. But there is pop, speed, and defense. Another Fabian type talent 

#16 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 07:34 AM

Law had him as #41

Scouting Report
Bats: R, Throws: R

Honeycutt is a 70 defender with 70 power, but even with a midseason swing change to raise his hands, he still struck out too often — even whiffing in-zone — to be a first-rounder for me. He takes a solid stride but doesn’t plant that front leg strongly until well after he’s gotten his hands started, so he ends up with a pretty severe uppercut on far too many of his swings. When he does get the front leg down in time and stays more upright through contact, though, it’s easy power even to dead center.

His bigger issue is pitch and ball/strike recognition, as he swung and missed on nearly a third of the pitches he saw, including a 21 percent whiff rate on pitches in the zone. It’s 30-homer potential in a potentially elite defender in center — I’ve had scouts say he’s at least as good as 2023 first-rounder Enrique Bradfield Jr., on defense — so there’s clear appeal for a team looking for high upside. He’s a project for the right player development department.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 07:38 AM

Bradfield was really praised for his defense so nice to hear he is as good or better in some scouts eyes. 

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 07:48 AM

https://www.espn.com...vance-honeycutt

• Hooded Viper, 1970 and RichardZ like this

#19 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 09:59 AM

Our MLB team is stocked and we still have 3 studs in the minors, hell yeah swing for the fences with VH. I’m cool with it!

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,028 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 10:02 AM

No relation to Rick Honeycutt?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=