8GMnKml.jpg

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:37 AM

Just stop talking. Do not speak again. Ever.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,434 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:37 AM

Without major changes to him hoarding an insane amount of cash he means.

Incredibly frustrating.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:40 AM

In my experience, O's tickets have always been far less expensive than comparable tickets in other MLB cities. It's nice. But if raising prices is what it takes to keep or add talent, I don't see any alternative.

With that said, I don't think any team (except maybe the Rays) are incapable of consistently maintaining a 150M+ payroll. That's just a lie owners sell to maximize profits. 

• Mike B likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,786 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:42 AM

https://x.com/brentw...60M8ZOe1IyiordQ

8GMnKml.jpg

John has set out to do the impossible.  Making us miss his father.  

• Pedro Cerrano and DuffMan like this
@mikeghg

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,786 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:42 AM

In my experience, O's tickets have always been far less expensive than comparable tickets in other MLB cities. It's nice. But if raising prices is what it takes to keep or add talent, I don't see any alternative.

With that said, I don't think any team (except maybe the Rays) are incapable of consistently maintaining a 150M+ payroll. That's just a lie owners sell to maximize profits. 

Agreed!

@mikeghg

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,786 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:44 AM

Let's have no doubt, Little John is going to raise ticket prices dramatically and probably still not keep the core available.

@mikeghg

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,224 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:45 AM

Well, they could make an emphasis on trying to sign / extend them now when they have the most control. 
But if they aren't going to do that, then move the players out after Y4, where the obtaining team will still have some control, and you can get more of a return back. 

Gunnar would be my first priority.

Grayson would be my second. 

And yeah, John isn't helping himself by speaking.  

• Mike B, DuffMan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,434 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:45 AM

Remember when there was talk on here about him using some of the money he's been hoarding during rebuilding for when the team is in the upswing?

Those were the days.
  • Mackus likes this

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,730 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:46 AM

Someone tell me why he needs to be talking publicly like this with the team in 1st place with 38 games left?
  • Mike B and DuffMan like this

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,730 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:48 AM

Sign a couple 1 year lease extensions, win a couple World Series with this core, then move the whole thing. I don’t want to do this with him. I want no part of it.

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:51 AM

Move to Nashville already. Good lord.

Rather have no baseball and a new owner down the road than lifetime more years of this family and this prick.
  • DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:52 AM

Sign a couple 1 year lease extensions, win a couple World Series with this core, then move the whole thing. I don’t want to do this with him. I want no part of it.

MLB will not let Angelos move the Orioles out of Baltimore.

• sandiegosean likes this

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,224 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:53 AM

Remember when there was talk on here about him using some of the money he's been hoarding during rebuilding for when the team is in the upswing?

Those were the days.

Certainly should have been something they were capable of and one of the benefits of operating as they did.

If they choose not to, then they need to operate accordingly and move the players out. 

Draft, Develop, Production, Trade...  Develop, Production, Trade...  rinse and repeat. 

If they do that right, they can sustain winning, and it will be fine for me (know others care more about the names then I do). 

But John is making it harder than it has to be.   Not even talking big picture, but just here with the idea of raising prices etc.

He's using this as a test balloon hoping people will say, "I'm okay with prices going up if that means the O's can keep x,y,z."

But he doesn't need to be testing that out now, or making any O's fan think of anything beyond the current wins. 
He should be letting the fans enjoy the season, and after this year, he should expect a rise in season tickets, etc... and if he chooses to raise the rates, ok. 

The other dumb thing here is really tying the idea of raising the tickets to equating to extending these guys. 
So... what happens if you raise the prices, and these guys aren't extended?

The guy is just serving up multiple unforced errors, and that is annoying, and does reduce some of the overall enthusiasm of what has and is being built.

• CantonJester likes this

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,434 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:55 AM

He should have mentioned two things instead of what he said:

Something like..."We've saved a lot of money during our rebuild so now we can reallocate savings to help this great young team keep winning."

"I expect more of our great fans to show up to the best park in baseball now that we've built a team that we're hopeful will become a perennial contender, which will make it easier to spend more on the club."
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,224 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:57 AM

He should have mentioned two things instead of what he said:

Something like..."We've saved a lot of money during our rebuild so now we can reallocate savings to help this great young team keep winning."

"I expect more of our great fans to show up to the best park in baseball now that we've built a team that we're hopeful will become a perennial contender, which will make it easier to spend more on the club."

That would be logical, and he has PR and Communication people on staff to help him craft that messaging vs going off the cuff. 

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,730 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:57 AM

There’s no test balloon here, just an ahole trust fund baby.

• Mike B and Mike in STL like this

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:59 AM

Someone tell me why he needs to be talking publicly like this with the team in 1st place with 38 games left?

What, you thought he’d show his face in public when they were losing 100+ games a year? It’s no coincidence that the team is really good and all of a sudden John Angelos is everywhere.

• Mike B likes this

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,224 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:59 AM

Certainly should have been something they were capable of and one of the benefits of operating as they did.

If they choose not to, then they need to operate accordingly and move the players out. 

Draft, Develop, Production, Trade...  Develop, Production, Trade...  rinse and repeat. 

If they do that right, they can sustain winning, and it will be fine for me (know others care more about the names then I do). 

But John is making it harder than it has to be.   Not even talking big picture, but just here with the idea of raising prices etc.

He's using this as a test balloon hoping people will say, "I'm okay with prices going up if that means the O's can keep x,y,z."

But he doesn't need to be testing that out now, or making any O's fan think of anything beyond the current wins. 
He should be letting the fans enjoy the season, and after this year, he should expect a rise in season tickets, etc... and if he chooses to raise the rates, ok. 

The other dumb thing here is really tying the idea of raising the tickets to equating to extending these guys. 
So... what happens if you raise the prices, and these guys aren't extended?

The guy is just serving up multiple unforced errors, and that is annoying, and does reduce some of the overall enthusiasm of what has and is being built.

The other other dumb thing (or at-least annoying thing) is telling the public the revenue is tied to ticket sales and the prices there. 

There is so much revenue in the game at this point, that ticket revenue (and the ancillary revenue... suite sales, parking, concessions) are a much smaller piece of the overall pie than it used to be.

#20 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 10:05 AM

The other other dumb thing (or at-least annoying thing) is telling the public the revenue is tied to ticket sales and the prices there. 

There is so much revenue in the game at this point, that ticket revenue (and the ancillary revenue... suite sales, parking, concessions) are a much smaller piece of the overall pie than it used to be.

Teams are over $100m in the black each year before a single ticket is sold/counted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=