Photo

College Basketball 2014-15 (Duke wins NC)

• Please log in to reply
4179 replies to this topic

#4141 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

The rules weren't the issue on that block call on the Winslow drive. That was just an absurd call.

#4142 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

The rules weren't the issue on that block call on the Winslow drive. That was just an absurd call.

Completely absurd. 

#4143 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

I thought Wisconsin choked.  Or perhaps thought they had it when Okafor went out.  Either way, they completely let up.

Allen hit the equivalent of a down-by-a-run 2-run HR in the bottom of the 9th of Game 6 when you're trailing 3-2, and then Tyus Jones pitched a complete game shutout in Game 7.

Officiating definitely went Duke's way, but Wisconsin could have overcome those calls without issue if they just had kept playing basketball.  But they were terrible over the last 10 minutes and gave it away.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4144 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

They were up 9 with Winslow and Okafor in foul trouble.  Complete and utter choke job.  For Ryan to bitch and moan about the officiating and then take subtle jabs at dook and Ky about recruiting "one and done" players just makes him look like a clown.

• BSLChrisStoner and SportsGuy like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4145 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

Agreed with the above, not a good look for Bo Ryan. 

Your team was terrific all tournament, hell, all year. Don't ruin what they accomplished by acting like a baby.

@beginthebegin71

#4146 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:49 AM

They were up 9 with Winslow and Okafor in foul trouble.  Complete and utter choke job.  For Ryan to bitch and moan about the officiating and then take subtle jabs at dook and Ky about recruiting "one and done" players just makes him look like a clown.

Apparently even the players were crying after the game.

Bottom line is this...Ryan teaches his kids to do things one way.  If that way isn't working, then Wisky will struggle.

They didn't adapt...Duke did.

#4147 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

I don't think it was conclusive that the defenders feet were set.

#4148 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

Ryan is a big crybaby but I can't blame him for being salty after that game.

Reffing is rarely the reason you lose a game. Poor play and execution always plays a role. Also, these two things are often related. A bad call can lead to poor play or the ability of the other team to play better. Take the non call on Winslow last night for example. If the correct call is made he is back on the bench with 4 with 8 min left in that game. That's a big swing. Closer games make the refs decisions that much more crucial. If they call that charge on Winslow, it certainly makes it less likely Duke would have won.

#4149 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

Boswell on Calipari:

Coach K really is one of the greats for feeling the game, instilling confidence and ice in young players, conveying a sense that he never panics and can live with defeat if that's how it turns out. Such a contrast to Calipari who, when he's a favorite and his team gets in trouble, has a face and body language that just say, "OMG, OMG, OMG, panic, panic, yell-at-a-kid, panic, I'm gonna lose, I can't lose, what'll they say if I lose."

And he loses with a 38-0 team. The guy can't game-coach A LICK. He tried to lose to Notre Dame. Everybody says, "Well, he sure can recruit." Is that what they call it? 

Look, everybody doesn't like somebody. I covered Calipari back to UMass. They should change his middle name to Vacated. Find some one else out there to praise Calipari and Kentucky. You can find 'em. But it's not me. 

http://live.washingt...l-20150406.html

#4150 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

Ryan is a big crybaby but I can't blame him for being salty after that game.

Reffing is rarely the reason you lose a game. Poor play and execution always plays a role. Also, these two things are often related. A bad call can lead to poor play or the ability of the other team to play better. Take the non call on Winslow last night for example. If the correct call is made he is back on the bench with 4 with 8 min left in that game. That's a big swing. Closer games make the refs decisions that much more crucial. If they call that charge on Winslow, it certainly makes it less likely Duke would have won.

Sure...which is the case for every team, in every game.

It's pretty well known that Kaminsky drags his pivot foot often on his drop step. They even joked about it on one of the pregame shows last night. If the refs called that, does he get Jah into foul trouble?

And if you actually believe Wisky only committed 2 fouls in the first half last night, you are kidding yourself.

The refs impact every single game in every single sport. It's a shame we can't do away with them.

But it's up to the leagues to make it as easy on them as possible.

#4151 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

Talent and the refs. Also, which team has more NBA talent is not always tremendously useful.

Exactly. See: Wisconsin vs. Kentucky
@BSLMikeRandall

#4152 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

Bottom line is, down the stretch the refs did Wisconsin no favors. And it isn't a Duke getting preferential treatment thing. If that were the case, Wisconsin would've had more than 2 fouls in the 1st half and Duke wouldn't have been in foul trouble with their best players anyway.

What happened, as I alluded to last night and Mack alluded to earlier is Wisconsin let up after building a nice lead with Duke's best players on the bench. Then Grayson came off the bench and ran around like his fucking head was on fire and nailed some absolutely huge shots. The momentum quickly evaporated and Wisconsin wasn't able to get back into a rhythm offensively.

Grayson was the x factor IMO. Without his performance last night, there's a different champion today. Tyus was huge again in the final minutes. But he's a regular. You can count on that. You can't count on Grayson doing what he did. Yet, it was exactly what Duke needed at the time to stop the momentum of Wisconsin and eventually win the game.

That's as big of a step up out of nowhere performance as I've ever seen at that level. I was joking with Rob last night but I do know he's not out of nowhere or some scrub. But in the context of this season and this tournament run and this championship... it wasn't supposed to happen. I already hate that kid. Damn Duke and their super annoying white boys.

#4153 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:28 PM

That's as big of a step up out of nowhere performance as I've ever seen at that level.

Cameron Dollar is the other one that pops to my mind.  That was more of a game-long really good performance filling in for an injured star.  Allen had a solid overall game, but really he was superman for those 2-3 minutes when Duke was desperate and just solid the rest of his minutes.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4154 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

Bottom line is, down the stretch the refs did Wisconsin no favors. And it isn't a Duke getting preferential treatment thing. If that were the case, Wisconsin would've had more than 2 fouls in the 1st half and Duke wouldn't have been in foul trouble with their best players anyway.

What happened, as I alluded to last night and Mack alluded to earlier is Wisconsin let up after building a nice lead with Duke's best players on the bench. Then Grayson came off the bench and ran around like his fucking head was on fire and nailed some absolutely huge shots. The momentum quickly evaporated and Wisconsin wasn't able to get back into a rhythm offensively.

Grayson was the x factor IMO. Without his performance last night, there's a different champion today. Tyus was huge again in the final minutes. But he's a regular. You can count on that. You can't count on Grayson doing what he did. Yet, it was exactly what Duke needed at the time to stop the momentum of Wisconsin and eventually win the game.

That's as big of a step up out of nowhere performance as I've ever seen at that level. I was joking with Rob last night but I do know he's not out of nowhere or some scrub. But in the context of this season and this tournament run and this championship... it wasn't supposed to happen. I already hate that kid. Damn Duke and their super annoying white boys.

Quite simply...if Suliamon isn't off the team, Allen probably doesnt play last night.

#4155 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

Cameron Dollar is the other one that pops to my mind.  That was more of a game-long really good performance filling in for an injured star.  Allen had a solid overall game, but really he was superman for those 2-3 minutes when Duke was desperate and just solid the rest of his minutes.

Great call. 

@beginthebegin71

#4156 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

https://twitter.com/...23425730715648/

B_TanUbXEAIXTvr.jpgB_TanUdWkAEgxSA.jpg

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#4157 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,603 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

Pretty cool to see 7 Wisconsin players on the roster, at least 3 (or 4?) of the starting 5 from Wisconsin, and overall, the team is made up of players from the region (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, and Ohio).

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4158 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

I don't think it was conclusive that the defenders feet were set.

They don't need to be.

#4159 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

They don't need to be.

Sure they do. He has to be set. There were angles that showed he wasn't completely set.

It was close.

I think it was a charge but it's not absurd that in the moment, with no replay, that they called it a charge.

#4160 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

They don't need to be.

Sure they do. He has to be set. There were angles that showed he wasn't completely set.

It was close.

I think it was a charge but it's not absurd that in the moment, with no replay, that they called it a charge.

No, you don't need to be set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=