• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Philadelphia is 2 games over .500 (26-24), and only 2.5 games out of 1st. However, they are also in last place in a very competitive NL East, and facing life without Halladay for the next 6-8 weeks.

Might they look to go into a sell mode? Hamels is a FA after this season. If they make Hamels available, should the O's pursue? If so, what do you believe it would take?

Beyond the Box Score: Why the Phillies should trade Hamels
http://www.beyondthe...ade-cole-hamels

FanGraphs: What is Cole Hamels worth?
http://www.fangraphs...e-hamels-worth/

Obviously the O's are not trading Machado, or Bundy for anyone; let alone a rental. Is there a package you could put together, that you would be willing to trade for the rental?

If you could add a pitcher of his caliber, the O's can probably stay competitive throughout. On the other-hand, if you don't believe the O's can stay competitive this year (even with Hamels added), you only want to give up so much, when the organization is still thin overall.

Hamels 2012: 8-1, 2.43 era, 70.1 ip, 57 hits, 7 hr's, 14 bb's, 72 k's, .640 OPS, 0.80 G/F

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

No, I just don't see it making sense.

We get no draft pick compensation either.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

Is there any chance at all he signs in Baltimore long-term, both from a personal standpoint and a monetary standpoint?

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

Is there any chance at all he signs in Baltimore long-term, both from a personal standpoint and a monetary standpoint?

Is there any chance he would sign a contract we would be happy with?

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Based on what that FanGraphs article suggests he will make in FA, probably not. Not sure I'd see the O's be interested in resigning him, even if Hamels enjoyed his stay and was open to being here.

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

I think he's a similar pitcher to Matusz (but a bit better), and would get hit much harder here in Bmore.
@JeremyMStrain

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Go get DeLaRosa...much cheaper and more under the radar but could be just as good.

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Go get DeLaRosa...much cheaper and more under the radar but could be just as good.

Not cheaper but Grienke could be a good option too. He doesn't like big markets, so while not a tiny market, Bmore is no NY. With the cutter he added that's been getting more GB this year, he might not be a bad fit for OPACY. He gets a good amount of swing and misses, and that 10% K ratio would help things.
@JeremyMStrain

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Is there any chance he would sign a contract we would be happy with?

That's part of it. I keep hearing $20-plus million a year thrown around when his name comes up. He's going to be the best player available on the market, so he'll get it.

The other part is whether or not he has a preference to play somewhere. He's from San Diego, and although there is no chance in hell he goes there, I keep hearing that he wants to play on the West Coast. Since the Dodgers will have the money to make a splash in the off-season, he might very well end up there for both reasons.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

Not cheaper but Grienke could be a good option too. He doesn't like big markets, so while not a tiny market, Bmore is no NY. With the cutter he added that's been getting more GB this year, he might not be a bad fit for OPACY. He gets a good amount of swing and misses, and that 10% K ratio would help things.

But he will cost a ton to trade for.

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

I was listening to someone last week, either Keith Law or Jayson Stark, and they were talking about how Grienke is such a competitive person he would thrive in a big market (and wants to try).

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with the Mets.

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

That's part of it. I keep hearing $20-plus million a year thrown around when his name comes up. He's going to be the best player available on the market, so he'll get it.

The other part is whether or not he has a preference to play somewhere. He's from San Diego, and although there is no chance in hell he goes there, I keep hearing that he wants to play on the West Coast. Since the Dodgers will have the money to make a splash in the off-season, he might very well end up there for both reasons.

I expect the Dodgers to go HARD after him and sign him. Grienke won't sign there, he doesn't like big markets because of his social anxiety disorder.
@JeremyMStrain

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

But he will cost a ton to trade for.

Anyone will. Both the Brewers and Phillies will do everything they can short of bringing actual firearms into the negotiations to get Machado in a deal. Since he is off-limits and any discussion of Bundy will be non-existent, any deal the Orioles would make for a top starter, even a rental, will involve a lot of talent.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

For the rental of Hamels, I am thinking it would cost the O's something like Schoop, Tillman, Bridwell, and Avery or G.Davis. Would anyone make that trade? Certainly would hurt the depth of an already thin organization.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Grienke won't sign there, he doesn't like big markets because of his social anxiety disorder.

I don't believe that is accurate. At least from everything I've ever read and heard about him. He has a different personality and is very private, but Posnanski and other writers who have got close (as much as possible) to him all say that he relishes those kinds of challenges.

Of course, they also say that the more you learn about him the less you realize you actually know, so...:D

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

I wouldn't trade for either. Even if we do sneak into the playoffs this year, we aren't built to win it all. We'd get destroyed by TEX with or without another SP, and I don't think we could hang with STL or WAS pitching in a series.

Sign someone as a FA without giving up all that talent for depth and next year you think about making the big splash if you HAVE to.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Grienke won't sign there, he doesn't like big markets because of his social anxiety disorder.

I don't believe that is accurate. At least from everything I've ever read and heard about him. He has a different personality and is very private, but Posnanski and other writers who have got close (as much as possible) to him all say that he relishes those kinds of challenges.

Of course, they also say that the more you learn about him the less you realize you actually know, so...:D

It came out when he signed the extension with KC back in 2009 and again when they were shopping him. Remember this is the guy that had to take an entire season off from baseball basically because of it.
@JeremyMStrain

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

I wouldn't trade for either. Even if we do sneak into the playoffs this year, we aren't built to win it all. We'd get destroyed by TEX with or without another SP, and I don't think we could hang with STL or WAS pitching in a series.

Sign someone as a FA without giving up all that talent for depth and next year you think about making the big splash if you HAVE to.

Could be right.

Let's say the O's traded Schoop, Tillman, Bridwell, and G. Davis for him.

Pretty much the best the O's could look the rest of the way would be:

Hamels, Hammel, Chen, Matusz, Britton
Johnson, Strop, Lindstrom, Ayala, O’Day, Patton, Arrieta

Roberts 2nd
Reimold LF
Markakis RF
Jones CF
Wieters C
Hardy SS
Reynolds 3rd
Davis 1st
Betemit DH

Paulino, Andino, Tolleson, Johnson

While I'd expect that team not to fade away the rest of this season, I would certainly agree that they would still not be the favorites in the East, let alone the AL.

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Could be right.

Let's say the O's traded Schoop, Tillman, Bridwell, and G. Davis for him.

Pretty much the best the O's could look the rest of the way would be:

Hamels, Hammel, Chen, Matusz, Britton
Johnson, Strop, Lindstrom, Ayala, O’Day, Patton, Arrieta

Roberts 2nd
Reimold LF
Markakis RF
Jones CF
Wieters C
Hardy SS
Reynolds 3rd
Davis 1st
Betemit DH

Paulino, Andino, Tolleson, Johnson

While I'd expect that team not to fade away the rest of this season, I would certainly agree that they would still not be the favorites in the East, let alone the AL.

Whereas if you finish out this year, and sign one of those kids for the rotation, you could come back next June with:

Greinke/Hamels
Chen
Hammel
Matusz
Britton
Bundy?

Wieters
Davis
Roberts/Andino
Machado
Hardy
Reimold
Jones
Markakis
Betemit

Wright/JJ/Arrieta/O'Day/Ayala/Wada

And still have Delmonico, Birdwell, Schoop, this years draft pick, Rodriquez and some others developing.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

For the rental of Hamels, I am thinking it would cost the O's something like Schoop, Tillman, Bridwell, and Avery or G.Davis. Would anyone make that trade? Certainly would hurt the depth of an already thin organization.

Veto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=