mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

http://grantland.com...-movie-theater/

Would you guys prefer the current system or movies going straight to your TV for a fee?

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

I'd prefer to have both options available, I like going out on occasion to see a movie, when i was single I saw almost everything going out on dates, and as good as the home theater experience is you can't immerse yourself quite as much as you can at an IMAX.

But if I could only have one, give me my couch and my awesome plasma (and eventually a great Bose sound system, right now my speakers & receiver leave quite a bit to be desired, though is full 5.1). 

I'd be totally fine if they eliminated regular movie screens and just did everything either straight to streaming services or to IMAX screens.  Any movie that isn't a visual spectacle that's enhanced by IMAX and/or 3D is just as excellent at home, IMO.

• BobPhelan likes this

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

What I want is a movie theater with comfy seats, nice big screen, and Bose noise canceling headphones (or a jack to bring my own).   I hate going to the theater because every time I do there's always some jackhole that talks the entire team.  And I'm not exaggerating.  Every time.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

The wife and I like going to the movies but with all the dbags, punk kids, crying babies, etc....I would be more than happy to wAtch at home.

I have a great 65" 3D TV and 7 speaker surround sound, so Im good with that.
  • Mackus likes this

#5 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

At home though, it's not as fun to pull the o'le popcorn-over-the-groin maneuver.  Food for thought.

Honestly, I'd say keep both.  There are just some movies that need to be seen on like monster-huge screen.  And in IMAX.  And in 3D.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

I'd prefer to have both options available, I like going out on occasion to see a movie, when i was single I saw almost everything going out on dates, and as good as the home theater experience is you can't immerse yourself quite as much as you can at an IMAX.

But if I could only have one, give me my couch and my awesome plasma (and eventually a great Bose sound system, right now my speakers & receiver leave quite a bit to be desired, though is full 5.1). 

I'd be totally fine if they eliminated regular movie screens and just did everything either straight to streaming services or to IMAX screens.  Any movie that isn't a visual spectacle that's enhanced by IMAX and/or 3D is just as excellent at home, IMO.

Agreed.

Movies aren't going anywhere, the market is just going to change with the technology. Eventually it'll be blockbusters only in theaters, VOD for everything else. That's fine with me.

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

I'm with Mackus. I want both options available. Smaller art house movies are perfect to watch at home, but I still like to watch bigger movies at the theater, $16 a ticket, potential talkers and all. Case in point I watched Two Faces of January this past weekend which hasn't officially been released in theaters but probably won't be a blip on the box office radar anyway. Did the same with Snowpiercer earlier this year too.

This Crouching Tiger sequel is making waves but I don't think many people would pay to see it in IMAX anyway. I mean, it's a sequel to a 14 year old foreign film without its original director and many of its stars. Does that NEED to be released in IMAX? Seems like a perfect VOD release to me.

I don't know all the details of the Netflix/theater battle, but I side with theaters on this based on what I know. Doesn't seem like a winner for them anyway.

I don't see theaters going away any time soon but I do think there's going to be more of a shift toward VOD releases in the future.
  • BobPhelan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

I prefer the movie theater, but sometimes you go in there and some goofball is three seats over from you talking, rattling their paper bag, belching, etc, or some kid won't sit down and the parents could care less.

But sometimes crowds are a good thing; imagine how much funnier a good comedy seems when there's group laughter.  I had to see Borat a second time because I was laughing so hard I missed half the movie.

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:50 PM

Agree with the general consensus here. Huge special effects blockbuster, give me the movie theater option; otherwise, I'd rather pay less and watch it at home. 

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=