#1 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Wanted to make a thread (if there already is one, I apologize) to discuss the All Star game. I'm sure many of you have differing levels of interest in the game, but I'm a big fan and especially enjoy watching our Orioles in these games. I'd like to discuss who you think is statistically worthy and who you think will actually represent the team. Let's go down the lineup for some guys who you could at least try to make a case for and look at some AL Ranks (not going to look at any of the advanced statistical measurements, as I really don't think the fan vote or coaches votes take those into consideration much):

Rankings through Saturday the 26th

C: Matt Wieters
- 3rd in OPS
- Tied 1st in HR
- 1st in CS%

1B: Chris Davis
- 3rd in AVG and OPS
- Tied 2nd in HR

SS: JJ Hardy
- 3rd in OPS
- 1st in HR
- 2nd in RBI

OF: Adam Jones
- 3rd in AVG and OPS
- Tied 2nd in HR
- Tied 3rd in RBI
- Tied 2nd in SB

P: Jason Hammel
- Tied 1st in wins
- 6th in ERA

P: Jim Johnson
- Tied 1st in Saves
- 1st in ERA and WHIP (pitchers with at least 5 saves)

These are the guys that I would say, statistically, are worthy of consideration. I think Jones and Jim Johnson should be slam dunk, no doubters. I don't think Chris Davis will realistically have a shot, but it's interesting that his numbers do stack up pretty well at a deep position. I doubt Hardy makes it, probably Jeter, Asdrubal Cabrera, and Andrus more deserving, but he's right up there. I think Wieters and Hammel have a shot, depending on what happens in June. If Hammel can keep pace in wins, maybe he sneaks his way on. Wieters has slumped badly, but is still respectable in many offensive categories and leads CS%.

Now, I know a lot of things come into play with AS game selections. Offensive starters are a popularity contest, and because every team must be represented, interesting things can happen when selecting the pitchers and bench players. So I'll say Jim Johnson and Adam Jones will make it, with Hammel being deserving but not getting selected.

So what do you think?

And if you'd like to vote, go here: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...2012/ballot.jsp Let's try to make AJ a starter!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

@AdamWolff

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

I agree with your analysis. Wieters AS chances are diminishing with his slump, especially when fake Red Sox nation will be out there voting in Saltalamacchia who has had a very nice year so far. I think given Wieters gold glove, and his defensive prowess that he'll make it as a sub. I'd love to see Hammel sneak in.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hammer, Johnson, Jones and Wieters would all make it if teams were announced today IMO.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,253 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

I think Jim Johnson and Jones are sitting pretty right now for a spot on the roster. Wieters and Hammel are very close, if not on the team. With Hardy heating up, he has a chance, but there are a lot of good AL SS.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

We haven't had multiple players since I believe 2005, four players would be a lot. I can't see Jones not making it. I think Jim Johnson stands a great chance, but could see him missing out if other teams token players are closers. Like Ricker pointed out Wieters chances are diminishing with his offensive slump, if he picks back up he should be in. Hardy has a chance I wouldn't count on it. And maybe Hammel gets added as a replacement. I'm thinking we'll get 2-3, anything above excluding late additions might be pushing it. I'd be very disappointed if they only got a "token" selection.
@levineps

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

I think we will get multiple players this year. AJ, JJ, seem like locks right now.

Wieters, Hammel and JJ hardy are also in the mix. Wow what a difference a year makes.
@mikeghg

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

BTW, Nick is a hot week away from being in the mix.

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Good point. Nick has played well the past couple of weeks.
@mikeghg

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,499 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Would love to see Nick go on a run, and make his first AS Game. That would be great.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

With the way Nick is using all fields right now, he may get that hot streak.

#11 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

With the way Nick is using all fields right now, he may get that hot streak.

It's great to see Nick driving the ball to all fields. This is the best lineup he's ever hit in...Would be great if he could settle in and have a year closer to 2007 and 2008.

Would like to see him hitting #2 but I guess I'll give up on that wish...
@PeterDiLutis

#12 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, I agree. I was thinking about including him, but decided to just go with a 'if we're just looking at things through today' sort of view. But I absolutely agree.

@AdamWolff

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

Yeah, I agree. I was thinking about including him, but decided to just go with a 'if we're just looking at things through today' sort of view. But I absolutely agree.

Orange kool-aid aside I'm not seeing 2 Orioles OF's there and Jones is almost a lock. I guess if they need to go through one of their many substitutions, he can sneak in.
@levineps

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

I think we will get multiple players this year. AJ, JJ, seem like locks right now.

Wieters, Hammel and JJ hardy are also in the mix. Wow what a difference a year makes.

I tend to agree with you. I think Hammel is a bit of a long shot and this has more to do with *token* picks from other squads. If the Orioles only got one player, good chance it would be Hammel since a pitcher is usually necessary as opposed to an outfielder. But with Jones great it would be hard to deny him. If Jim Johnson keeps these numbers up, good chance he makes it as well. Despite Wieters recent struggles, I think he has a strong case. I could see JJ Hardy, but there's definitely other AL SS who will probably get it ahead of him. So likely, I'm thinking 2, maybe 3, max of 4.
@levineps

#15 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,253 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/n... ... b&c_id=mlb

Orioles' notables:
Andino: 4th place
Wieters: 2nd place
Hardy: 3rd place
Jones: 5th place
Markakis: 12th place

The Yankees and Rangers have a player in the top 5 in every category. Rangers have 2 of the top 3 OF.

#16 MattCLund

MattCLund
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

I get that the Rangers started hot, etc, but Nelson Cruz over Adam Jones? Come on people, let's get to voting, Adam belongs there!
@MattCLund

#17 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

I get that the Rangers started hot, etc, but Nelson Cruz over Adam Jones? Come on people, let's get to voting, Adam belongs there!

Yeah come on guys! Everyone vote!

@AdamWolff

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

Look at their attendance, nat'l tv appearances, relevance, look at ours. We were able to get Ripken in, in years he didn't deserve it(just like Jeter got it the past few years). Why, because we had a lot more fans at the time, and they voted(and there was no internet voting); same with the Yankees now.
@levineps

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:46 AM

How many All-Stars does everyone think, we'll get?

I'm thinking 2-3, probably 4 max. Unless we completely slide(it's based on part on your record), I don't see us having less than 2. Which wouldn't be bad considering we've just had just a "token" selection every season recently.
@levineps

#20 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,253 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Another update after another week of voting.

Wieters fell to 3rd, Andino and Hardy stayed at 4th and 3rd respectively, Jones is 4th, and Markakis fell to 15th.

Catchers:
1. Mike Napoli, Rangers, 1,640,160
2. Joe Mauer, Twins, 912,997
3. Matt Wieters, Orioles, 904,425

4. A.J. Pierzynski, White Sox, 733,282
5. Russell Martin, Yankees, 602,983

Second basemen:
1. Ian Kinsler, Rangers, 1,920,364
2. Robinson Cano, Yankees, 1,732,359
3. Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox, 1,037,522
4. Robert Andino, Orioles, 402,083
5. Jason Kipnis, Indians, 357,651