#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

For a long time I underrated these guys. Their singles and songs that get a ton of radio play are mostly good but their first two records as a whole are incredible.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

The Foo are amazing... An insanely awesome live band too. I'd highly recommend watching their documentary, "Back and Forth".

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Pretty amazing career for David Grohl.

If Cobain had not died, and Nirvana had continued on.. putting out multiple albums, maybe there never is a Foo Fighters? Maybe Grohl never steps out on his own as a front man? Maybe Nirvana changes / evolves with Grohl? (He had already begun to help write, with Cobain saying he wanted Grohl to write and contribute more.)

Sorry, don't want to hijack and make this a Nirvana discussion. FF really do have a great catalog of work, makes me feel old to realize how long they have been around.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

They are a fantastic band to see live. Tons of energy.

There is also a decent chance that Dave Grohl is the coolest guy on the planet.

They have made a few clunker singles lately ("Wheels" is a disaster) but their overall catalog is really great. Their first album is still my favorite.

#5 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

The Foo are amazing... An insanely awesome live band too. I'd highly recommend watching their documentary, "Back and Forth".

Agree with everyone's comments about them so far. They've been a band that has really slowly grown on me and now I consider myself a pretty big fan.

And I'll second Chris' recommendation about watching their documentary. It airs on HBO all the time and is really excellent. Dave and the rest of the band are very forthcoming about a lot of things and you get to see a lot of behind the scenes stuff on how their most recent record came to be. I'd say a must for fans and still a good watch for music fans in general.

@AdamWolff

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Their first album is also my favorite. "The Colour and the Shape" has their two best songs IMO "Monkey Wrench" and "Everlong" but the debut record is more consistent.

Both are in my top 20 records of the 90s.

@bopper33

#7 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

It's interesting... I've obviously heard the stuff that gets airplay on the radio and always loved it. And I know they are exactly my style of music (hard rock), so you'd think that I'd have listened to more of their stuff, and yet... I just never did it.

I am setting myself a reminder that when I get to the office on Sunday (we work a Sunday-to-Thursday week in Israel), I'm going to Grooveshark and listening to their entire catalog album-by-album.

Somehow I am doubtful they're ever going to come to Tel Aviv for a concert, though, and HBO on Demand here doesn't seem to have the documentary. So I can only embrace them but so much for now.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

It's interesting... I've obviously heard the stuff that gets airplay on the radio and always loved it. And I know they are exactly my style of music (hard rock), so you'd think that I'd have listened to more of their stuff, and yet... I just never did it.

I am setting myself a reminder that when I get to the office on Sunday (we work a Sunday-to-Thursday week in Israel), I'm going to Grooveshark and listening to their entire catalog album-by-album.

Somehow I am doubtful they're ever going to come to Tel Aviv for a concert, though, and HBO on Demand here doesn't seem to have the documentary. So I can only embrace them but so much for now.

Nice!

Be forewarned, like I said, the first two are simply sublime. After that it gets a little rocky. Not that their other stuff isn't good, it is, but it's not like the first two.

@bopper33

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Be forewarned, like I said, the first two are simply sublime. After that it gets a little rocky. Not that their other stuff isn't good, it is, but it's not like the first two.

I describe my favorite band's (Weezer) albums in exactly the same way (although I also absolutely love the Red Album).

#10 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

Finally got around to watching "Back and Forth"... great, great stuff.... set up a recording for the Foo Fighters on "Storytellers" for next Monday.. very excited to see that.
@bings012

#11 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

Highlight of the documentary film is when Grohl is concentrating on a riff or lyric and his daughter keeps asking when they are going to go swimming. He takes a break, plays with his daughter then gets back to rocking. The ultimate renaissance man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=