Brady makes the world go round.

#1482 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 01:54 PM

Elite historical teams struggling after losing their HOF QBs.... Pittsburgh, New England, possibly Green Bay.

#1483 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 02:50 PM

Mac Jones is not the guy. He started out promising as a rookie...but it's been downhill since then which is surprising given how much of a "genius" Belichick is.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1484 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 04 October 2023 - 09:32 AM

The Ringer: The Patriots Have Hit Rock Bottom, and There’s No Easy Way Back Up

#1485 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 04 October 2023 - 12:34 PM

Mac Jones is not the guy. He started out promising as a rookie...but it's been downhill since then which is surprising given how much of a "genius" Belichick is.

I said it when Brady was still there and I will say it again, but Belichick is just another NFL coach. Maybe he's above average, maybe not, but the genius label has always been ridiculous to me.

His record before Brady was below .500. His record since Brady is about .500. The year they missed the playoffs with Brady was the year Brady went out for the year in week 1 or 2? If Bledsoe doesn't get destroyed and have to leave the game vs the Jets, Brady probably doesn't get a chance to earn a starting job until after Belichick would have likely been fired that following January. Bledsoe had just gotten a big FA deal and would have almost certainly been allowed to play out that season as the 1 no matter their record.

Bledsoe getting hurt saved Belichick's career...

#1486 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 06:48 AM

I said it when Brady was still there and I will say it again, but Belichick is just another NFL coach. Maybe he's above average, maybe not, but the genius label has always been ridiculous to me.

His record before Brady was below .500. His record since Brady is about .500. The year they missed the playoffs with Brady was the year Brady went out for the year in week 1 or 2? If Bledsoe doesn't get destroyed and have to leave the game vs the Jets, Brady probably doesn't get a chance to earn a starting job until after Belichick would have likely been fired that following January. Bledsoe had just gotten a big FA deal and would have almost certainly been allowed to play out that season as the 1 no matter their record.

Bledsoe getting hurt saved Belichick's career...

The so called "Patriot Way" worked great when you always had Brady to cover for offense or defense deficiencies and who took discounted contracts later in his career.  If he wanted top dollar every other year like Rodgers that dynasty would have ended 5-10 years early.

Josh McDaniels will likely be fired so Belicheck can bring him back next year to try to salvage Mac Jones.

#1487 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,398 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 06:57 AM

The Pats and Steelers, two class organizations, struggles post HOF QBs shows why good QB play, let alone elite QB play, is so valuable. Its why Ive never understood or will ever understand those wanting to let Lamar walk or trade him. We might not win a SB with him. We probably wont win a SB with him. Just like the Bills prob wont win a SB with Allen and Philly prob wont with Hurts and Cincy wont with Burrow. Those are just the odds. Its about having a chance and being a real contender. The Steelers and Pats each drafted two mid 1st Rd QBs who arent complete trash but arent good enough  to win a championship either. Both are lost. Great orgs that generally know how to draft and nurture players. Let it always be a lesson. 

#1488 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:42 AM

The Pats and Steelers, two class organizations, struggles post HOF QBs shows why good QB play, let alone elite QB play, is so valuable. Its why Ive never understood or will ever understand those wanting to let Lamar walk or trade him. We might not win a SB with him. We probably wont win a SB with him. Just like the Bills prob wont win a SB with Allen and Philly prob wont with Hurts and Cincy wont with Burrow. Those are just the odds. Its about having a chance and being a real contender. The Steelers and Pats each drafted two mid 1st Rd QBs who arent complete trash but arent good enough  to win a championship either. Both are lost. Great orgs that generally know how to draft and nurture players. Let it always be a lesson. 

Multiple ways to build a winning team.  Jackson's here, and what ever the Ravens achieve, he'll be the primary reason why... but the Ravens absolutely could have moved on and figured it out. 

Since we're in the Pats thread... 

- They operated last year without even really having an Offensive Coordinator. Not exactly great for Jones' development.

- They spent a ton before last year, with questionable returns. 

- They've had drafting issues for years. 

Now where I agree is, 1st round qb's historically have a 50/50 success / flame ratio.  I do think that ratio will increase here on out for a number of reasons; but there will always be flame potential.   And the chances of flaming out greatly increase if you aren't putting the QBs in the best position to be successful.    Utilizing their talents correctly.  

Jones and Pickett are the definition of guys you can win games with, but not guys that you win because of. 
The QB of the best team in football right now is Purdy.  He's in that grouping of guys you can win with, not because of too.

Jackson, Allen, Burrow...   maybe Hurts (not totally sure how I feel there, but that's another thread) are on that rare limited list of guys that you win because of. 

Just a lot of different factors in play here; so I understand those that would rather start with having one those short-list guys that are the reasons you win because of.

#1489 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,398 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 10:21 AM

I get your point but a Purdy or a Dilfer is rare where you can manage an otherwise great team to a SB win. And honestly Purdy might be pretty darn good. Not sure. Its so much easier when you have the QB and thats why EDC was never gonna let Lamar get away. Its why none of them get away while they are young and in their prime except in very rare instances. Brees. Cousins if you want to count him.

#1490 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,398 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 10:26 AM

Despite what you say about more than 1 way to build a team the way the drafts go tells you there is very much a preffered way. QBs always go very early. They are often pushed up draft boards significantly.

#1491 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:23 PM

The Ringer: The End of Bill Belichick’s Tenure in New England Feels Inevitable

#1492 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:06 PM

This Thursday night's matchup should be sponsored ZZZQuill. 

#1493 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:12 AM

Belichick officially out.

#1494 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:23 AM

I have to think that Vrabel is a strong candidate for the Head Coaching job.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1495 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,398 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:29 AM

Mayo is supposed to be the HC in waiting. Some Bos guy I heard this morning said the expectation is he gets the job

#1496 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:21 AM

The Ringer: Bill Belichick Beat Everyone. In the End, He Lost to Himself.

#1497 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:49 AM

If not he or Mayo, the Detroit OC Ben Johnson is rising quickly in the head coaching pool. Like Belichick, both Mayo Vrabel are more defensive-minded, and with New England having the No. 3 pick the draft, it might be time to bring in someone who can develop a rookie quarterback and fix the offense.

#1498 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 11:02 AM

An equally important question for New England is who is going to be their GM?

#1499 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 12:01 AM

I'm surprised they didn't just make him get an actual GM.

#1500 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 06:33 AM

I'm surprised they didn't just make him get an actual GM.

His track record as de facto GM isn't very good, especially in recent years.  Brady's no longer around to bail him out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=