#1421 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:41 AM

The genius was 42-58 before Bledsoe's injury.  He didn't get that much smarter starting THAT week, he got a QB (almost by default) that made him look smarter, for the next nearly 20 seasons.  

I don't like the Hoodie, but he is one of the best coaches of all time.  

@mikeghg

#1422 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:43 AM

He's the best coach of all time. Period.

#1423 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:47 AM

The genius was 42-58 before Bledsoe's injury.  He didn't get that much smarter starting THAT week, he got a QB (almost by default) that made him look smarter, for the next nearly 20 seasons.  

I think he's certainly a great coach.  But all that "Patriot Way" nonsense of next man up is a whole lot easier when you have one of the best QBs ever on the team for all those years.

#1424 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:54 AM

I think he's certainly a great coach. But all that "Patriot Way" nonsense of next man up is a whole lot easier when you have one of the best QBs ever on the team for all those years.

Is there any coach in that conversation that didn't have one of the best QBs ever for all those years?

#1425 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:30 AM

Is there any coach in that conversation that didn't have one of the best QBs ever for all those years?

No, at least in the modern era.  But talking heads for years acted like the Patriots had this secret formula where you didn't have to pay for talent and could plug anyone into a position.

#1426 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:39 AM

If there is criticism to be aimed at him its for his "GM" role.

#1427 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

The Pats were also great with young Brady, who was effectively a high level game manager early in his career, so I think a ton of the credit for that success back then is on Belichick's ledger.
  • Mackus and 1970 like this

#1428 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:44 AM

The Pats were also great with young Brady, who was effectively a high level game manager early in his career, so I think a ton of the credit for that success back then is on Belichick's ledger.

This is a great point.

#1429 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

No doubt, those early BB defenses were fierce.  I just think over the 20 years of dominance, Brady covered up for some average teams.

AFC East did it's part too.  :lol:

#1430 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

No doubt, those early BB defenses were fierce.  I just think over the 20 years of dominance, Brady covered up for some average teams.

AFC East did it's part too.  :lol:

Brady and Belichick covered up for some not so great rosters. Of course BB has had a lot to do with those rosters.

And yes, good point on the AFC East generally being bad.

But without the great coaching of Belichick and the great defenses they had early in Brady's career, maybe Tom never even develops into a QB capable of truly covering up other problems. 

BTW, the biggest difference for the Pats so far this year is that they went from the best defense according to DVOA to the 25th best so far this year. But hey, I'm sure the master of the slide still thinks that Chiefs win over NE is impressive because they were meh against the great BB defense! 

Oh, and Cam going out with covid and then sucking after coming back obviously hasn't been helpful either.

#1431 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Don't forget that the Pats had the most Covid opt outs of any team, and two of those, Hightower and Chung, were defensive starters.

#1432 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:22 PM

Two and five? I love it.

Can't wait until someone hangs a fifty burger on the Pats.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy!

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1433 JoshKatzowitz

JoshKatzowitz

HOF

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 07:25 PM

BSL: What's Wrong With The Patriots?

https://baltimorespo...h-the-patriots/

• BSLChrisStoner and russsnyder like this
@joshkatzowitz

#1434 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 03:16 AM

The short answer is that they suck.

Sounds like Coach Hoodie was making excuses when he was talking about the salary cap.

Hope the Jets knock them off to really speed up their descent into hell.

#1435 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:17 AM

The short answer is that they suck.

Sounds like Coach Hoodie was making excuses when he was talking about the salary cap.

Hope the Jets knock them off to really speed up their descent into hell.

I thought I read as players were opting not to play their cap increased. Plus the players they cut. I know much of this happened after camp but they now have over $22 million in cap space.

#1436 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:21 AM

I thought I read as players were opting not to play their cap increased. Plus the players they cut. I know much of this happened after camp but they now have over $22 million in cap space.

In all fairness, they were hit hard by guys sitting out because of Covid. Plus, Cam Newton is a disaster. I guess we'll see if hoodie can put it back together. He needs to do it quick. He's getting old.

#1437 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:49 AM

I think in 2 more years, assuming COVID isn't an issue this time next year but who knows, he'd have them back in the playoffs. 

I don't think BB would ever tank, but I think going 6-10 or thereabouts isn't a disaster in his mind, either. 

Gets him higher draft picks (not that that has ever really been an issue) and he is able to rebuild the team from the ground up.

That said this team has lacked playmakers on offense for two seasons now. There is a reason Brady wanted to get the hell out of there too.

But my initial thought is, who cares? They were good for 20 years. It's time they suck again, and they do.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1438 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 10:39 AM

I think in 2 more years, assuming COVID isn't an issue this time next year but who knows, he'd have them back in the playoffs. 

I don't think BB would ever tank, but I think going 6-10 or thereabouts isn't a disaster in his mind, either. 

Gets him higher draft picks (not that that has ever really been an issue) and he is able to rebuild the team from the ground up.

That said this team has lacked playmakers on offense for two seasons now. There is a reason Brady wanted to get the hell out of there too.

But my initial thought is, who cares? They were good for 20 years. It's time they suck again, and they do.

Right.

Nothing lasts forever, although it feels like the Patriots have been excellent for well, forever.

#1439 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 November 2020 - 09:41 PM

Josh McDaniel may have waited got long to take a HC job

@mikeghg

#1440 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 07:09 AM

Josh McDaniel may have waited got long to take a HC job

Teams are not going to think of him as this great coordinator. Plus the Colts withdraw baggage will be tied to him. He might just stick around until BB hangs it up. Which might only be until BB's kids are more established as coaches so he can become just the GM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=