#1 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:52 AM

Because the best damn season for beers needs it's own thread.

Picked up Left Hand Brewing Company's Oktoberfest over the weekend, it's quite tastey. I think the Marzen's are the easiest beers to drink for me,  I can finish a bottle quickly and not even feel like I'm trying.

I've already had Schlafly's Pumpkin ale again this fall,  might be the best pumpkin beer out there but I'll will do my due diligence to find other great pumpkin beers to try!

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

The beer/wine store near my house was doing a tasting of some fall beers last weekend, so naturally I tried them out and they were all amazing. I can't remember what I tried but I did go home with a bottle of Weyerbacher Blasphemy, and they were tasting the 2014 Pumpking, which is really good this year. I have a bottle of that at home too.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,787 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

Schlafly definitely makes a great Pumpkin.  I like Saranac's a lot as well, had my first of the season a couple nights ago.  Pumpkin beers are my favorite, but I'm very particular.  I like them to be pumpkin beers, not pumpkin pie beers. 

Had Southern Tier's Pumking beer a couple weeks ago...hated it.  Tasted like nutmeg and cinnamon mixed into an IPA.  The waitress could actually tell I hated it so much and replaced it for me, which was nice. 

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

Not crazy about Dogtoberfest from FD.

Sam Adams will always be tough to beat, IMO.

Love the German Oktoberfests too.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Marzens/Octoberfests are boring to me. Pumpkin beers however are really good. Shipyard, Sam Adams Fat Jack, and Weyerbacher's Imperial are all quite good IMO. I'll have this years Pumking soon.<br />

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

Love the German Oktoberfests too.

Spaten makes a damn good one, and it's reasonably priced too.

• BSLMattJergensen likes this

#7 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

Schlafly definitely makes a great Pumpkin.  I like Saranac's a lot as well, had my first of the season a couple nights ago.  Pumpkin beers are my favorite, but I'm very particular.  I like them to be pumpkin beers, not pumpkin pie beers. 

Had Southern Tier's Pumking beer a couple weeks ago...hated it.  Tasted like nutmeg and cinnamon mixed into an IPA.  The waitress could actually tell I hated it so much and replaced it for me, which was nice. 

The last 2 years of Pumking have been off, badly.  I hope they rectified it, because it was incredible when it was right.

Its still too early for this noise, IMO.  I had a friend who was posting pumpkin beers on untappd in the beginning of August.  WTF

@fuzydunlop

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

I have some very, very preliminary plans to go to Munich next September/October for Oktoberfest with some friends, one of whom is from Germany. 

• DuffMan and BSLMattJergensen like this

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

Pumking was pretty bad. Schafly and Lancaster Baked Pumpkin Ale are both great IMO. Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin is quite good and I'll probably have one tomorrow at the BSL get together.

#10 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,880 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

I must agree that Pumking is highly overrated. I prefer Weyerbacher Imperial Pumkin. It tastes a bit "hot" but runs about 9% abv so it kicks your ass at the same time! I've honestly not had many others that have blown me away. It is a style that every brewery is producing but almost as a novelty because the majority suck!
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#11 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

There aren't a whole lot of em out there, but Pumpkin Stouts and Pumpkin porters are a nice change of pace.

#12 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest

Spaten Oktoberfest

Great Lakes Oktoberfest

Sam Adams Octoberfest

In no particular order. I'll usually go for this style over the next few months. (Makes sense) Unfortunately brewers tend to get these out a month or more ahead of when you should be drinking them. I always stash some away for Turkey Day after that it's on to the winter lagers/ales for me.

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest

Spaten Oktoberfest

Great Lakes Oktoberfest

Sam Adams Octoberfest

In no particular order. I'll usually go for this style over the next few months. (Makes sense) Unfortunately brewers tend to get these out a month or more ahead of when you should be drinking them. I always stash some away for Turkey Day after that it's on to the winter lagers/ales for me.

Agreed. Next time I go to the liquor store, I'm loading up.

#14 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

I'm also making it a point to get my hands on some Founders Harvest Ale this year.

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,787 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

Time to bump this for the best season for beer!

I've had a handful of pumpkin beers already.  My two usual favorites, Schlafly and Saranac as well as Sea Dog and Flying Dog.  The Saranac, usually one I love, tastes a lot more nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice-y this year to me, no longer enjoy it.  Schlafly remains excellent however.  I also enhjoyed the Sea Dog, no pumpkin pie taste to it, but the pumpkin flavor was pretty mild.  I had the Flying Dog pumpkin on tap and it was good.

My softball team (well, one of my softball teams) is sponsored by T-Bonz in Ellicott City and they have a ton of beers on tap.  Hoping to try a couple more nice fall beers each week on tap.

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hooking up my kegerator tonight...Sam Adams Oktoberfest...my favorite.

Wondering how the Pumking will turn out this year, I know people didn;t like it last year. I think I have one in my cellar from a few years ago, too.

• Mackus likes this

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

Hooking up my kegerator tonight...Sam Adams Oktoberfest...my favorite.

Wondering how the Pumking will turn out this year, I know people didn;t like it last year. I think I have one in my cellar from a few years ago, too.

I'm no longer a fan of Pumking.

#18 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:00 PM

Love me some Shipyard and Sam Adams Fat Jack.  Also saw at my Costco they had some Dogfish Punkin and will have to pick some of that up soon.

This past weekend I tried Hebrew Reunion '15 Pumpkin and thoroughly enjoyed it.  To quote Barney Gumble, "just hook it up to my veins."

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:15 PM

Im worn out on seasonal beers. Especially Pumpkin. Its becoming the "bacon" of trends. Annoyingly popular.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Im worn out on seasonal beers. Especially Pumpkin. Its becoming the "bacon" of trends. Annoyingly popular.

But bacon is still pretty damn good and so is some pumpkin beer.
  • Dr. FLK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=