Photo

Have you been this excited, as a fan, since 1997?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

To me, this is about as excited as an Orioles fan can/has been since the 96-97 years.

We have a new GM in place who has put the proper emphasis on off the field issues that haven't been addressed in decades.

We have arguably the 2 best prospects in baseball.

You have just shown your team and your fans that you will lock up your team's best player(s).

You are in first place and the have the most wins of any team in the AL.

Its a pretty damn good time to be an O's fan.
  • BSLChrisStoner and mweb08 like this

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Agreed - Ain't the beer cold!

Glad to see you seemingly jump on board a little bit. I know we're all still slightly skeptical, but we should all be enjoying the ride as long as it lasts.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

2005 was pretty great for a while, but this may have a better base for long term success. And (knock on every piece of wood I can find) even if things go downhill record-wise this year, I don't expect things to be as catastrophic as that late summer was. My god that was brutal.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Agreed - Ain't the beer cold!

Glad to see you seemingly jump on board a little bit. I know we're all still slightly skeptical, but we should all be enjoying the ride as long as it lasts.

I love the winning...I still question how viable it is long term but its great now.

Hammel has changed things for me though...He is the difference maker in my eyes, at least as of right now. I know its crazy to put it on the shoulders of one guy but if he can get his knee healthy and pitch the way he has, that totally changes this team.

WAR is a great stat but WAR doesn't measure so many different things. The trickle down effect from a guy performing like Hammel has is huge.

#5 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

I still can't wait to see Britton,Roberts,Lindstrom and Reynolds back and see what we do then.
God hates Caps fans

#6 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Cal on radio today "For the first time in forever not only am I watching every game, I'm scrambling to go on Ipad every morning for the condensed game"
God hates Caps fans

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

2005 was pretty great for a while, but this may have a better base for long term success. And (knock on every piece of wood I can find) even if things go downhill record-wise this year, I don't expect things to be as catastrophic as that late summer was. My god that was brutal.

If there were a thread asking about the most brutal year since 1997 as an O's fan, 2005 would be it. Last year was pretty brutal. I think we all expected to see more growth from the cavalry, even if it didn't show up in the wins. So from that aspect, last year sucked big time.

But nothing will ever top 2005 for me. That was honestly soul crushing - and I know that sounds a little hyberbolic, but it's not, at least not for me.

#8 Woody Ball

Woody Ball
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'm still on the fence more than excited. If DD goes for it the right way, I can buy in. We'll need to be bold though. I think that means both Oswalt and a 1B/3B, ideally Headley.

I don't think this team as compromised now is built for 162 games. I expect Chen to need a big break mid-season...don't trust Hammel's knee...don't trust Matusz in meaningful games...don't know what to think of Arrieta. Britton must come back strong, and I'm not taking that for granted.

I'm ok with the hitting. I think it'll continue to be roughly league average, with different guys hot at different times. If we could shore up 3B or 1B, both offensively and defensively, the difference would be substantial.

#9 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

As the joke goes, who took over SportsGuys account?
  • mweb08 likes this

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

As the joke goes, who took over SportsGuys account?

And he didn't even wanna extend Jones! :D

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

nMCaHxZuf94

XDZ_lSJjgvk
  • Chris B likes this

#12 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm still on the fence more than excited. If DD goes for it the right way, I can buy in. We'll need to be bold though. I think that means both Oswalt and a 1B/3B, ideally Headley.

I don't think this team as compromised now is built for 162 games. I expect Chen to need a big break mid-season...don't trust Hammel's knee...don't trust Matusz in meaningful games...don't know what to think of Arrieta. Britton must come back strong, and I'm not taking that for granted.

I'm ok with the hitting. I think it'll continue to be roughly league average, with different guys hot at different times. If we could shore up 3B or 1B, both offensively and defensively, the difference would be substantial.

Good post. Hammels knee worries me and the rotation in general.

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

I was more excited in 2005 simply because it was my first year of law school and since it was in Buffalo I was surrounded by Yankee and Red Sox fans.

This is a real real real close second, though.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm excited about the way we have played baseball for the first 2 months and cautiously optimistic we can keep it rolling. Beyond this season, I'm still pretty leery. Felling more hopeful than I did 5 months ago but still leery. That's partly an indictment on the Angelos and the O's organization and more of one on MLB and it's competitive balance in general.

#15 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

As a kid of the 90's (who doesn't really remember 1996 and 1997), yes, this is actually the most excited I've been as a fan ever. I've always watched nearly every game, always try to go to 10+ games per year, but there's just something about this team. Day in and day out I don't consider them a playoff team (and I don't want to believe them due to 2005), but I am pretty cautiously optimistic. If the starting pitching pitches deep into games, then the bullpen will hold up and remain successful, and the team will continue to win ballgames.

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

This compares with 2005 for me.

I'm still skeptical, but can't hope to be excited at the same time.

#17 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

This is where I am as well.

Right now:
Jones cooling off a bit, Matt cooling off a lot, Arrietta and Hunter regressing... Hammel with a knee issue.. we really need to find a way to win the games we should win, like at least 2 of 3 from KC this weekend.

#18 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

This compares with 2005 for me.

I'm still skeptical, but can't hope to be excited at the same time.

I still feel the burn of going all in with the 2005 team. My first instinct is still to look at things and see what could go wrong instead of what could go right.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot that can go wrong...but I like some of the signs and when you couple those with what DD is doing off the field, it just feels that maybe they are finally headed in the right direction...still need to upgrade talent though.

#20 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot that can go wrong...but I like some of the signs and when you couple those with what DD is doing off the field, it just feels that maybe they are finally headed in the right direction...still need to upgrade talent though.

Agree that we need to upgrade if we can, but it's funny how your existing talent suddenly seems so much better with the right triggers. I wonder how much DD's infrastructure moves + Buck being here contributed to the breakouts thus far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=