#2 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

This series is going to be EPIC..As are the Finals with Miami facing whoever wins here. Can't wait!
@beginthebegin71

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

This series is going to be EPIC..As are the Finals with Miami facing whoever wins here. Can't wait!

I would like to see a healthy Miami vs. either. Hope they can win, and Bosh can be ready.

Who are you taking in this series? Two deep teams. I could go either way with the pick, but I think I'll stick with OKC in 7.

Should be one of the better series in years.

#4 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

I would like to see a healthy Miami vs. either. Hope they can win, and Bosh can be ready.

Who are you taking in this series? Two deep teams. I could go either way with the pick, but I think I'll stick with OKC in 7.

Should be one of the better series in years.

I am trained to think of these type of things in gambling terms, and i LOVE the Thunder in the series, at +150. I'll take them in 6. I think it'll be a terrific 6 games, with all of them going down to the wire.
@beginthebegin71

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

I'd say the Spurs are most likely going to win this series. They're playing at the highest level imo. OKC has the 2 best players, but the Spurs big 3 is much better than would have been anticipated with Duncan being especially reinvigorated.

Which brings me to something people often say about the NBA, and something that is generally true, which is that the title contenders are basically set in stone going into a season. Well I don't think many thought of the Spurs as a title contender, and even the ones who did mostly felt they were a fringe contender. Well here they are, the clear favorite to win it all going into the WCF's. Oh, and the Celtics and Pacers have legit chances at making the Finals, something else that would not have been predicted.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

I'd say the Spurs are most likely going to win this series. They're playing at the highest level imo. OKC has the 2 best players, but the Spurs big 3 is much better than would have been anticipated with Duncan being especially reinvigorated.

Which brings me to something people often say about the NBA, and something that is generally true, which is that the title contenders are basically set in stone going into a season. Well I don't think many thought of the Spurs as a title contender, and even the ones who did mostly felt they were a fringe contender. Well here they are, the clear favorite to win it all going into the WCF's. Oh, and the Celtics and Pacers have legit chances at making the Finals, something else that would not have been predicted.

Yeah, I sure didn't think the Spurs were going to be real contenders this year after how their post-season ended last year. Deep bench though, and have filled in very nicely around their big 3.

Will be interesting to see if either bench winds-up having an advantage in this series, or if it will just be a push.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

The Spurs bench is clearly better imo. The Thunder have Harden who basically plays the Ginobili role, after that the Thunder's bench is mediocre imo. Fisher isn't good and Collison is just decent, then there's not much else.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Here's a very good preview by Zach Lowe: http://nba-point-for... ... s-thunder/

One key takeaway is that the Thunder should often go small with Durant at the 4 and Harden joining Westbrook in the backcourt.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

An absolute toss up.

#10 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

An absolute toss up.

I wouldn't go that far.

Spurs are the much deeper team and are playing better than anyone in basketball right now. They might not be huge favorites, but they're clear favorites IMO.

They're 2-1 in Vegas...Obviously doesn't mean everything but just pointing that out.

If the Spurs continue to knock down the 3, it's going to be tough for the Thunder to beat them without home court.
  • mweb08 likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

I wouldn't go that far.

Spurs are the much deeper team and are playing better than anyone in basketball right now. They might not be huge favorites, but they're clear favorites IMO.

They're 2-1 in Vegas...Obviously doesn't mean everything but just pointing that out.

If the Spurs continue to knock down the 3, it's going to be tough for the Thunder to beat them without home court.

OKC has the 2 best players in the court and that means a lot in the NBA( although I guess you could argue Parker being better than Westbrook).

They are also very good inside, defensively.

But SA has the best coach in major sports and they are deeper and more efficient.

#12 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

I wouldn't go that far.

OKC has the 2 best players in the court and that means a lot in the NBA( although I guess you could argue Parker being better than Westbrook).

They are also very good inside, defensively.

But SA has the best coach in major sports and they are deeper and more efficient.

The Heat also have the two (most nights 3) best players on the court and that doesn't always equate to them winning, especially against fellow elite teams.

I'm just blown away by the bench of the Spurs. Players 6-10 on the Spurs could make the playoffs IMO if those same players could also come off the bench.

You have Manu who is an elite player when healthy, which he is. Parker is having his best year, and Duncan is turning back the clock close to his prime. That is before we even talk about their bench.

The Thunder just aren't very deep, especially when compared to SA. They also rely too heavily on the jumpshot, and if the Spurs can shut down their outside shooting, they will struggle to score as they don't have a legit inside scorer. SA will get more easier shots than OKC.

I think the Thunder are certainly capable of winning a championship but the Spurs are a well-oiled machine right and I think OKC may be running into a buzzsaw...not in that they're going to get blown away, but in that they're facing one of the best teams I can remember considering how they're playing at this time. And as you said, on most nights Scottie Brooks will have the coaching advantage, but not in this series.

If the Thunder are going to win, it's going to be because their Big 3 are going to do more slashing/driving than they're used to. The Thunder's starters are more athletic and explosive than SA, and if they use that athleticism to their advantage while relying less on the jumpers, they'll have a better chance.
@PeterDiLutis

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

There is no doubt who the favorite is here.

Now the Thunder can still win, but they need to play better than they normally do and.or have the Spurs play worse than they normally do for that to happen.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Now the Thunder can still win, but they need to play better than they normally do and.or have the Spurs play worse than they normally do for that to happen.

Isn't this Spurs team fairly mediocre with their defense? Isn't that going to be an issue against OKC's offense?

I get that conversely that OKC is also not a great defensive team, and that San Antonio has had no problems scoring on their own.

While SA is comfortable scoring in the 1/2 court, I did not get the impression they like slowing the ball down. If they don't try and slow the tempo vs. OKC, I think the Thunder might run by them.

Tonight should be very interesting, with both teams rested.

#15 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Isn't this Spurs team fairly mediocre with their defense? Isn't that going to be an issue against OKC's offense?

I get that conversely that OKC is also not a great defensive team, and that San Antonio has had no problems scoring on their own.

While SA is comfortable scoring in the 1/2 court, I did not get the impression they like slowing the ball down. If they don't try and slow the tempo vs. OKC, I think the Thunder might run by them.

Tonight should be very interesting, with both teams rested.

Nobody is going to "run by" this Spurs team.

People (not saying you) have preconceived notions about this Spurs team based on the way they've played for the vast majority of the Pop/Duncan era.

A lot of people who haven't payed attention to SA this year will be very surprised by what they see in this series, especially since most consider to be the Thunder to be one of the quickest/most athletic teams in the NBA.
@PeterDiLutis

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

People (not saying you) have preconceived notions about this Spurs team based on the way they've played for the vast majority of the Pop/Duncan era.

A lot of people who haven't payed attention to SA this year will be very surprised by what they see in this series, especially since most consider to be the Thunder to be one of the quickest/most athletic teams in the NBA.

I like this Spurs team a lot. They are obviously deep, they share the ball. They are not that overly athletic though.

Guys like Neal, Blair, Leonard, Jackson, Green are all good enough athletes for sure, but I don't see a ton of guys that are jumping out of the gym. Parker will obviously cause more problems on both ends for Westbrook than anything the Lakers had to offer, but Wesbrook is going to be a very difficult match-up for Parker I think. (I do give credit to Parker for slowing Paul, but Paul was also slowed by his injuries.)

I get that the Spurs like to run, and I know this San Antonio team has no intention of walking the ball up the floor. My thought though is that if they get into real running games with OKC, I think that gives the Thunder the edge.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

I like this Spurs team a lot. They are obviously deep, they share the ball. They are not that overly athletic though.

Guys like Neal, Blair, Leonard, Jackson, Green are all good enough athletes for sure, but I don't see a ton of guys that are jumping out of the gym. Parker will obviously cause more problems on both ends for Westbrook than anything the Lakers had to offer, but Wesbrook is going to be a very difficult match-up for Parker I think. (I do give credit to Parker for slowing Paul, but Paul was also slowed by his injuries.)

I get that the Spurs like to run, and I know this San Antonio team has no intention of walking the ball up the floor. My thought though is that if they get into real running games with OKC, I think that gives the Thunder the edge.

I agree. I think SA would rather play a precision game vs a running game against OKC.

#18 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

I agree. I think SA would rather play a precision game vs a running game against OKC.

If so, that also has to do with OKC not being a tremendous half-court team.

I think the Spurs are a better running team than the Thunder are half court team.....
@PeterDiLutis

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think the Spurs are a better running team than the Thunder are half court team.....

That is probably very fair. OKC losing Maynor hurt their 1/2 court.

Do you see the series going 7?

#20 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

That is probably very fair. OKC losing Maynor hurt their 1/2 court.

Do you see the series going 7?

Yes, it's hard to see this series not going 7. Just two gladiators and someone has to win it.

Put it this way...I can't see Spurs winning in 5, and I don't see Thunder losing game 6 if they're down 3-2.
@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=