#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

So with all this talk of favorite albums and songs, I thought it appropriate to start a thread on an incredibly talented new local band, Carey Ziegler's Expensive Hobby. They started up in 2008, but broke apart and came back together early this year. I've been to two of their concerts (one at Lurman Woodland Theatre in Catonsville, one at The 8x10 in Baltimore) and they've absolutely blown my mind. They're a cover band, but not a typical cover band.

Carey Ziegler, the band's leader, was the bass player for progressive rock band Crack the Sky at one point (in fact, John Palumbo, leader of Crack the Sky, joined CZEH on stage for a song at The 8x10 last Saturday). He then left to form this group, which he calls his "Expensive Hobby". They are an 8-piece band with a 3-piece horn section. Each one is a master at his instrument. It's insane.

They play the covers that no one dares to play, simply because they're too complex. Bands covered include:

Yes

Rush

Crosby, Stills & Nash

The Allman Brothers

Supertramp

Steely Dan

Chicago

Billy Joel

The Doobie Brothers

Nirvana (they pulled "Smells Like Teen Spirit" out of nowhere at The 8x10)

Frank Zappa (yes, Frank Zappa)

Since I know there are people here who like local music, have you ever been to one of their shows? If not, I urge you to check it out. You won't regret it at all.

Check out this video from their concert at the Lurman Woodland Theatre: 

Their next show is at the Reisterstown Festival (Hannah More Park) on September 6th at 8:00 PM. You know I'll be there.

Oh, and Carey and most of his band are huge Orioles fans. As if you needed more incentive to like them.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=