BSL: Top 15 Orioles Prospects (Updated)

http://baltimorespor...spects-updated/

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

As we said in the article, this is mainly for discussion purposes only. We are utilizing public evaluations on these players, along with stats (which we readily acknowledge only tells half the story at the MiL level), to provide a general overview of the system. We aren’t out scouting these players on our own, nor are we privy to the working thoughts of the organization itself.

Disagree with our rankings? No problem, we are certainly not married to them. Let us know what you think we have wrong, and where you would differ.

My general take on the system is that with Bundy, and Harvey; I expect most rankings of the system will have the O's at the bottom of the top 1/3, or somewhere in the middle.

I think that would be an inflated ranking. I don't see a lot to be excited about.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

It isn't anything to be too excited about.... but if Harvey and Bundy become legit above average players, we'll be golden nevertheless.

But it's time to replenish.

We still have a number of fringe or even high upside guys who are having off years (ERod). Very intrigued to see if some of these guys turn it around in the 2nd half.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

ERod has some good peripherals, so there's some positive news there.

Overall, the system isn't good but we do have 2 elite guys.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

As an aside, Hader would probably be in the Top 5, Delmonico not so much.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Baltimore Sun: Mid-season Top 10

http://www.baltimore...zemski-20130710

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

MLB.com: Updated Top 20

http://baltimore.ori...id=bal#list=bal

• Greg Pappas likes this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

FanGraphs: A Minor Review of 2014

http://www.fangraphs...rioles-yankees/

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

MASN: Bundy, Harvey, Walker top Baseball America list of O's top 10 prospects

http://www.masnsport...0/draft-37.html

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

Minor League Ball / Sickels: Baltimore Orioles preliminary prospect list

http://www.minorleag...y-prospect-list

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:07 AM

Minor League Ball / Sickels: Top 20 Prospects for 2015

http://www.minorleag...spects-for-2015

• Greg Pappas likes this

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

Orioles.com: On the Cusp

http://m.orioles.mlb...ltimore-orioles

• Greg Pappas likes this

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

MASN: What the 2015 season might bring for some top O's prospects

http://www.masnsport...-prospects.html

• Greg Pappas likes this

#14 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

http://www.fangraphs...timore-orioles/

Probably belongs in the Minors section long term, but wanted to make sure everyone saw it.

Notes:

- For now, Kiley has O's with 18th best system in baseball.

1. Dylan Bundy: Fastball: 55/65, Curveball: 55/60, Cutter: 60/70, Changeup: 45/55, Command: 45/50+

It’s basically a coin flip with Bundy and Harvey right now, but by midseason we show know which one is a better after we see if Bundy’s stuff improved and if Harvey is fully healthy, which Bundy having the edge due to a higher ceiling and being closer to the big leagues. If he gets all the way back to the arm speed in the video, we’re talking Jose Fernandez level stuff, which is just fun thinking about.

FV/Role/Risk: 60, #3 starter, Medium (3 on 1-5 scale)

2. Hunter Harvey: Fastball: 60/70, Curveball: 55/60, Changeup: 45/50+, Command: 40/50+

It may be midseason before we have a fair chance to know if the stuff is fully back to where it was early in 2015 and that’s Harvey is healthy enough to sustain it for a full season. If he is, he could shoot through the system, as he has feel and frontline type stuff.

FV/Role/Risk: 60, #3 starter, High (4 on 1-5 scale)

3. Chance Sisco: Hit: 20/55, Raw Power: 45/50, Game Power: 20/45, Run: 40/35, Field: 40/50, Throw: 55/55

The Orioles think Sisco is their third best prospect and is their catcher of the future. He’ll head to High-A next year and with some defensive progress, Sisco could find himself on the fast track.

Upside: .285/.350/.440, 12-15 homers

FV/Risk: 50, Medium (3 on a 1-5 scale)

@JeffLongBP

#15 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

Other things that stuck out to me:

- Zach Davies as his #4 prospect with a Mike Leake-esque repertoire. I think most have slept on him a bit (myself included).

- Jonmar Reyes is 6'6"/240 at 18 yo. Kiley has heard his approach is as advanced as the most pro-ready hitters the O's have which is promising.

- Best reports on Brian Gonzalez that I've seen to date. Kiley heard he got some interest in the sandwich round (which makes 3rd round seem like less of a stretch.

- Crazy story about how O's decided to draft Garcia in Rule 5.

- Comps for Pat Connaughton: He’s still tinkering with new grips for both pitches and names like Kevin Gausman and Jeff Samardzija are mentioned as comparables for Connaughton’s raw talent.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@JeffLongBP

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

http://www.fangraphs...timore-orioles/

Probably belongs in the Minors section long term, but wanted to make sure everyone saw it.

Notes:

- For now, Kiley has O's with 18th best system in baseball.

1. Dylan Bundy: Fastball: 55/65, Curveball: 55/60, Cutter: 60/70, Changeup: 45/55, Command: 45/50+

It’s basically a coin flip with Bundy and Harvey right now, but by midseason we show know which one is a better after we see if Bundy’s stuff improved and if Harvey is fully healthy, which Bundy having the edge due to a higher ceiling and being closer to the big leagues. If he gets all the way back to the arm speed in the video, we’re talking Jose Fernandez level stuff, which is just fun thinking about.

FV/Role/Risk: 60, #3 starter, Medium (3 on 1-5 scale)

2. Hunter Harvey: Fastball: 60/70, Curveball: 55/60, Changeup: 45/50+, Command: 40/50+

It may be midseason before we have a fair chance to know if the stuff is fully back to where it was early in 2015 and that’s Harvey is healthy enough to sustain it for a full season. If he is, he could shoot through the system, as he has feel and frontline type stuff.

FV/Role/Risk: 60, #3 starter, High (4 on 1-5 scale)

3. Chance Sisco: Hit: 20/55, Raw Power: 45/50, Game Power: 20/45, Run: 40/35, Field: 40/50, Throw: 55/55

The Orioles think Sisco is their third best prospect and is their catcher of the future. He’ll head to High-A next year and with some defensive progress, Sisco could find himself on the fast track.

Upside: .285/.350/.440, 12-15 homers

FV/Risk: 50, Medium (3 on a 1-5 scale)

Wait, is that a typo? Did he list him as having a 20 current hit tool with 55 potential? A guy that hit a combined .345 through the Sally league? It's the current I have an issue with.

@JeremyMStrain

#17 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

Wait, is that a typo? Did he list him as having a 20 current hit tool with 55 potential? A guy that hit a combined .345 through the Sally league? It's the current I have an issue with.

I think it's supposed to be 40, but I asked. Will let you know what comes out of that.

Kiley - "can't be more than 20 until double a. He would suck in the big leagues right now as would any a ball player"

@JeffLongBP

#18 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Some more things to note:

13. David Hess - Hess already looks like a steal as a 5th rounder last summer out of Tennessee Tech, as Nathaniel Stoltz wrote earlier this year. His size and delivery are similar to Bundy and Hess has pretty firm stuff in his own right, sitting 92-95, hitting 97 mph and showing a solid average curveball and changeup to go with a usable slider. There’s back-end starter or setup man upside here, but Hess will stay as a starter for the foreseeable future.

16. Jonah Heim - Heim has high-level believers in the organization like Buck Showalter, Brady Anderson and Matt Wieters; he may take a huge step forward next year in his full season debut as he’s had limited exposure to pro ball thus far.

- Finally, Kiley notes that the O's seem to be the only team he's talked to that have an internal prospect list (most teams have tiers or something similar, but not an official list) which is interesting.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@JeffLongBP

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

Interesting that he has Bundy and Harvey pegged as only #3s but talks about the upside.

I guess it's fair to say mod rotation is a more likely outcome though.

#20 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

I think it's supposed to be 40, but I asked. Will let you know what comes out of that.

Kiley - "can't be more than 20 until double a. He would suck in the big leagues right now as would any a ball player"

See I can't even. Its not what the current skill is compared to major leaguers, its what the current skill is taking into consideration where they are. If that's the case every draft prospect would be a 20 current, which is not so.

I'd feel more comfortable asking Tuck anyways, he's seen him a bunch last year. Thanks for asking for clarification.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=